Apr 13, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
We knew the Nationals rotation was deep, talented and capable of doing some special things this season. But did we expect all of that to become so obvious so early in the year?
With one week in the books, Nationals starters have already established themselves as one of the sport's best. Gio Gonzalez's seven-inning gem during yesterday's home opener was only the latest stellar performance by manager Davey Johnson's rotation.
Combine Gonzalez's outing with the ones authored the previous two days by Stephen Strasburg and Ross Detwiler, and then throw in Edwin Jackson's final inning on the mound Monday night in New York, and the Nationals rotation is currently riding a 19-inning scoreless streak.
Yes, that's 19 consecutive innings in which the opposition has failed to score against a Nats starter. Can't ask for much more than that.
And there's been nothing fluky about this streak. Detwiler, Strasburg
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals