Apr 13, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
We knew the Nationals rotation was deep, talented and capable of doing some special things this season. But did we expect all of that to become so obvious so early in the year?
With one week in the books, Nationals starters have already established themselves as one of the sport's best. Gio Gonzalez's seven-inning gem during yesterday's home opener was only the latest stellar performance by manager Davey Johnson's rotation.
Combine Gonzalez's outing with the ones authored the previous two days by Stephen Strasburg and Ross Detwiler, and then throw in Edwin Jackson's final inning on the mound Monday night in New York, and the Nationals rotation is currently riding a 19-inning scoreless streak.
Yes, that's 19 consecutive innings in which the opposition has failed to score against a Nats starter. Can't ask for much more than that.
And there's been nothing fluky about this streak. Detwiler, Strasburg
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff