Apr 13, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The first-place Nationals host the Reds in the first night home game of the year.
Do you remember the last time the Washington Nationals hosted a game while in sole possession of first place? Let's turn the way-back machine to July 21, 2005, when Frank Robinson's fast-fading, 54-41 Nats held a slim, 1/2-game lead over the Braves in the NL East and welcomed the Astros to RFK Stadium. That night, Roy Oswalt shut out Washington over eight innings, out-dueling Esteban Loaiza. And though he served up a two-run homer to Preston Wilson in the bottom of the ninth, Houston closer Brad Lidge wound up retiring Brad Wilkerson and Brian Schneider to seal a 3-2 victory.
Since that day nearly seven years ago, the Nationals have spent a total of four days in sole possession of first place. All came during the first week of the 2008 season, when Manny Acta's club stormed out of the gates to a 3-0 start … before ultimately losing 102 games. All four of those days in first place came on the road.
So that makes for quite a backdrop to tonight's contest at Nationals Park, where the first-place Nats look to make it four in a row. Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound, hoping to duplicate his stellar effort from his season debut (with perhaps a little run support thrown in for a change). Veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo starts for Cincinnati.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 65 degrees, Wind 4 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal