Game 8: Reds at Nats

Apr 13, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The first-place Nationals host the Reds in the first night home game of the year.

Do you remember the last time the Washington Nationals hosted a game while in sole possession of first place? Let's turn the way-back machine to July 21, 2005, when Frank Robinson's fast-fading, 54-41 Nats held a slim, 1/2-game lead over the Braves in the NL East and welcomed the Astros to RFK Stadium. That night, Roy Oswalt shut out Washington over eight innings, out-dueling Esteban Loaiza. And though he served up a two-run homer to Preston Wilson in the bottom of the ninth, Houston closer Brad Lidge wound up retiring Brad Wilkerson and Brian Schneider to seal a 3-2 victory.

Since that day nearly seven years ago, the Nationals have spent a total of four days in sole possession of first place. All came during the first week of the 2008 season, when Manny Acta's club stormed out of the gates to a 3-0 start … before ultimately losing 102 games. All four of those days in first place came on the road.

So that makes for quite a backdrop to tonight's contest at Nationals Park, where the first-place Nats look to make it four in a row. Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound, hoping to duplicate his stellar effort from his season debut (with perhaps a little run support thrown in for a change). Veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo starts for Cincinnati.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 65 degrees, Wind 4 mph LF to RF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Lets's Go Nats! Looking forward to a lovely evening at the park!

2. CN - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Curious to see if Bernie stays in the lineup against RHP when Ankiel comes back. That makes the most sense IMO, as Bernie provides the most offense & defense of the other options on the current bench.

3. UNTERP - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Zombie 3, here we go… Signed 93 – 69, all season

4. Ernie - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Mark – On behalf of those of us who keep score at the games, thanks for adding the umpires to the game preview.

5. Grandstander - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Grandstander's Fun Fact of the Day™:The Nationals have had 19 PAs with a man on third and less than 2 outs. They've gotten only 2 hits, both singles, and struck out 8 times while only drawing 1 walk. They have 2 sacrifice flies, which is the same amount they've grounded into a double play.In a situation in which most people agree you must drive home a run, they've failed to do so 15 out of 19 times.

6. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

7. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Mark,Is there a reason the Nats continue to trot Derosa and Nady out there in LF? Isn't it worth it to give Lombardozzi some reps out there? At least he puts together quality at bats. Nady and Derosa are just free swinging out there

8. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Peabody's WABAC machine…Not that you were wondering.

9. NatsJack in DC - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Grandstander…..you forgot to add "and they're still winning".

10. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

"continue to trot out"?? This is what, game 8? But Ankiel comes off the DL this weekend, if memory serves. You'll probably see some changes then.

11. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I just want to say THANK YOU Mark and the rest of the Nats Insiders for having this blog. I haven't looked at comments NJ on WaPo for over 2 years. I accidentally did it today. Thank you for being polite and actually adding to the conversation instead of the venom filled rants that I saw over there (most of which pertained nothing to the article written and were personal attacks)

12. Paxelpete - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for the memories Mark, I was at that 2005 game marveling at Oswalt's curveball from right behind home plate, reveling as my childhood hero Astros would go on to their only NL pennant that year. My fandom has now completely turned thanks to a slow motion Houston meltdown (inept owner and GM, Clemens' steroids, dismantling the team, and a coming switch the AL – the DH should die) and the slowly building baseball excitement here in DC. I've been a season ticket holder ever since the new park opened, and will be there in section 310 when Strasburg gives my old faves a beatdown next Monday night. Go Nats!

13. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Wait.. We have a NatsJack in DC sighting? Where will you be all weekend?

14. Section 222 - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Speaking of umps, anyone know if there have been any reversals of trapped ball calls under the new replay rules yet? I'm wondering if there will be big disputes when a ball is ruled a trap instead of an out over how many bases are awarded the batter and runner(s). I wouldn't hold my breath to see Moore or Brown anytime soon. Rizzo and Davey will probably give DeRosa, Nagy, Tracy, and Bernadina a good long look before cutting ties with any of them.Grandstander's fun fact is a very telling reminder of how important our excellent pitching so far has been. We're 5-2 notwithstanding our impressive impotence at the plate with a runner on third

15. Candide - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Regarding the umps: UMPIRESHP Paul Schrieber, 1B Tim Welke (cc), 2B Lax Diaz, 3B Mike EverittWhat's the "(cc)" after Welke's name? Closed caption…?

16. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Paxelpete, my Cubs fan baseball buddy couldn't watch the postseason that year (kinda like me when it was the Yanks and the Phils), but I rooted for Biggio and his teammates. Was happy for him that he got to a Series, even if it didn't end well.

17. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I'm guessing "crew chief."

18. Waddu eye no - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Ernie said…Mark – On behalf of those of us who keep score at the games, thanks for adding the umpires to the game previewAnd thanks for letting us know who we'll be cursing at ;-)Gyfng

19. Candide - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I think you're right, 1a – thanks.

20. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

You're welcome. (I suppose it could stand for "crummy calls," depending on whose name is there. Nah. :-))

21. baseballswami - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Please, please, oh, please my beloved Nats – I promise to cheer for you from my chair the whole game if you would please just give Jordan some nice run support tonight. Granpa Davey has requested a laugher. In our favor, please – not the other way around.Please. Pretty please.

22. m20832 - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Let's just hope HP Paul Shrieber has a better strike zone. Tired of postage stamp strike zones. Go Get'em Nats!1GYFNG!!!

23. swang - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

cc = crew chief

24. Grandstander - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer, it really is a testament to how lights out our pitching staff is. But don't expect it to keep going like this. A couple calls/plays going against us and this could just as easily be a 2-5 team.

25. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quesiton To the STH's out there: When a band came to play Nats Park (Like the Dave Mathews band or Elton John/Billy Joel), did the STH's get a shot before the general public to purchase tickets in advance? Because BRUCE is coming to town and I want to go – I can never get tickets when he goes to Verizon. Scalpers get them before the masses can get to them.

26. baseballswami - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I think we have to get 10 people on base for every run scored or something. Since we can't seem to hit them in maybe we just have to get twice as many people on base! 40 on = 4 runs, right? I never was very good at math, so perhaps we will get some actual r's bi tonight. By the way, can you actually win a game without anyone getting an rbi? I am guessing that you can. I am also guessing that someone has access to that kind of obscure information – like what was the highest scoring game with no rbi?

27. Section 222 - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM

MichelleS — Yes, I believe that in the past STHs have received advance notice and the ability to purchase tickets before the general public can to concerts at Nats Park. That doesn't mean they'll follow that practice in this case, of course. Might be worth a call to your ticket rep to make sure.

28. Pete - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Man the new sideline reporter is so much hotter than Debbie. Excellent upgrade.

29. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM

natsfan1a said… I also second the thanks for including the umps. Wait, was that a Mr. Peabody reference? Because Mark is too young to know about that. :-) Let's turn the way-back machine to July 21, 2005Hey, I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle … re-runs!

30. Candide - Apr 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

baseballswami said…By the way, can you actually win a game without anyone getting an rbi?Sure: ******************************Rule 10.04: (a) The official scorer shall credit the batter with a run batted in for every run that scores: (1) unaided by an error and as part of a play begun by the batter's safe hit (including the batter's home run), sacrifice bunt, sacrifice fly, infield out or fielder's choice, unless Rule 10.04(b) applies; (2) by reason of the batter becoming a runner with the bases full (because of a base on balls, an award of first base for being touched by a pitched ball or for interference or obstruction); or (3) when, before two are out, an error is made on a play on which a runner from third base ordinarily would score. (b) The official scorer shall not credit a run batted in (1) option when the batter grounds into a force double play or a reverse-force double play; or (2) when a fielder is charged with an error because the fielder muffs a throw at first base that would have completed a force double play. ******************************So a run that scores because of an error or on a GIDP is not an RBI.

31. sm13 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Ankiel will see a lot of playing time when he returns. Roger, once again and disappointingly, hasn't really done anything at the plate. Ankiel should get a shot to see if he can hit like he did in Florida and in his rehab.

32. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Grandstander's fun fact also neglects that the 5 teams below Washington include Yanks, Brewers & Diamondbacks and the Nats are 5-2.RDexposfan

33. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Section 222 uhmmm right now NO ONE is hitting for power ; if Moore hits 10 HR before April is over or just thereafter it would be theheight of naïveté to think Davey wouldn't find a place for him in the lineup. Limbo just isn't that kind of hitter, Werth is on the decline and you really can't rely on LaRoche and Nady to generate it. Moore and Brown might be on tap for the majors. Both are older players and Harper is struggling in AAA right now.

34. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

baseballswami said…By the way, can you actually win a game without anyone getting an rbi? It has happened 20 times since Sept 24 2001 as per baseball reference. http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/5654RDexposfan

35. SFNats - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Let's turn the way-back machine to July 21, 2005, when Frank Robinson's fast-fading, 54-41 Nats held a slim, 1/2-game lead over the Braves in the NL East and welcomed the Astros to RFK Stadium.Roughly a month before that, I got to see the Nats in person for the first time. In Anaheim. The night after Frank's big fight with Scioscia. If I remember right, the Nats won 1-0 on a Brian Schneider home run. And the Chief literally fell off the mound in the 9th, but still got the save.

36. Rabbit - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

If we can only get some productive hitting, we'll see many days in first place! GO NATIONALS!!!!

37. RPrecupjr - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Lax Diaz? Is that Mark's Freudian slip way of describing Mr. Diaz's knowledge of the rulebook?

38. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Do who gets to be Sherman?

39. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Ah, that explains it. :-)SFNats, ah, the immortal pine tar game.Mark Zuckerman said… natsfan1a said… I also second the thanks for including the umps. Wait, was that a Mr. Peabody reference? Because Mark is too young to know about that. :-) Let's turn the way-back machine to July 21, 2005 Hey, I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle … re-runs! April 13, 2012 4:58 PM

40. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I don't know but can I be Nell Fenwick? No, wait. Natasha.In other news, seems like every time I channel surf to a game on MLB Network, there's an ex-Nat on the field. The other day it was Jonny Gomes having a walk-off HBP. Today it was Joel Peralta, who was not having a good outing. Also, I didn't recall Cody Ross going to the Red Sox. I liked him better when he was a Giant, but not when he was a Fish. Being a fan can sure give you whiplash sometimes. :-)Anonymous said… Do who gets to be Sherman? April 13, 2012 5:17 PM

41. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Er, pun not intentional.Being a fan can sure give you whiplash sometimes.

42. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM

As you wait for the start of tonight's game, be sure to read my update on Rick Ankiel, who has been cleared to come off the DL before tomorrow's game.

43. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Do who gets to be Sherman?George, George, George of the JungleSits in Section 3…

44. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM

And I well remember that P-Dub dinger off Lidge. I always liked that guy.

45. Section 222 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM

if Moore hits 10 HR beforeApril is over or just thereafter it would be theheight of naïveté to think Davey wouldn't find a place for him in the lineup. I can see DJ finding a place on the bench for Moore (perhaps in the Stairs/Tracy role) at some point if he keeps up his torrid pace, but "in the lineup"? Very doubtful. He's a 1B who has played a few innings in LF. Are you really going to bring him up and throw him out there? That seems more naive than keeping him in minors until you're sure that the current cast isn't going to produce.I imagine you and I are equally skeptical of the the likely hitting prowess of our bench, but I'm way less impressed with stats from a few games in AAA than you are. Bernadina hit .296/.373/.445 in five seasons in AAA. If that translated to the MLB, he'd be our answer in CF. So let's give Moore at least a few months before we assume that he's going to be a big league slugger.

46. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Wainwright getting shelled in STL home opener. Cubs 8-0 in the top of the 3rd.

47. SFNats - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM

48. NatsFan05 - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM

And I thought drafting Wainwright was a smart move for my fantasy baseball team. For the record, I also drafted Josh Johnson, who got shelled yesterday. Reclamation projects. Clearly, I'm the Jim Bowden of fantasy baseball. April 13, 2012 5:52 PM —————————–Please tell me you also have Holiday and Lee.

49. jd - Apr 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Section 222, Thank you for introducing some sanity. I see people discussing Eury Perez and Kobernus based on 1 week of AA. Like I said before; do it for a month and the let's see. You are exactly right on Moore; unless they move LaRoche there is no place for him at 1st. Brown might be more interesting but let's see a larger sample.

50. SFNats - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM

LOL…no Halladay and Lee, sorry. It's funny because I've played in this particular league for more than 10 years, and I've always been pretty much able to get any Nat I've wanted in every draft since the Nats were born. But this year, the Yankee and Red Sox fans that dominate my league were taking Nats off the board earlier than I expected. I got RZ in the third round, and then got shut out. Gio, JZimm, Desmond, Espy, Ramos all went earlier than I had them, and I thought I was overvaluing them. I'm just glad I got LaRoche late. But if that's a sign that the Nats will win and my fantasy team will lose, I'll take it any day of the week.

51. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Was it Wilson whose batting helmet was always falling off as he rounded the bases?Section 3, My PFB Sofa said… And I well remember that P-Dub dinger off Lidge. I always liked that guy. April 13, 2012 5:45 PM

52. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yes, I saw that, too. True to ex-Nats channel surfing form, as soon as I turned to the game, Soriano was up.I liked the MLB 2012 Cubs WS commercial, but it made me cry. (Is that so very wrong? :-))MicheleS said… Wainwright getting shelled in STL home opener. Cubs 8-0 in the top of the 3rd. April 13, 2012 5:49 PM

53. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

If memory serves, the do-rag he wore underneath it was a factor.natsfan1a said… Was it Wilson whose batting helmet was always falling off as he rounded the bases?

54. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

1A.. as a recovering Cubs fan, I cry every time I see that commercial.

55. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I'd never seen it before, MicheleS. Glad I'm not the only one who did.

56. fpcsteve - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I would like to agree with a few of the points earlier posts have made. I think (even though I am a Bernadina fan) that Roger may be the odd man out tomorrow. I think DJ really likes Carroll. And I think Lombardozzi is on for the ride. He is the supersub. Corey Brown may end up making the Willingham trade a steal. It looks like he is getting it. Larger sample size? That's probably right, too. 1B looks to be set with LaRoche. Go Nats!

57. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

lol, this time when I surfed back, it was Marlon Byrd at the plate. Wainwright's out, and it looks like Smze, Smazar, Jeff S. might not get into the 9th for the Cubs this time. Funny that the Cards broadcasters were speculating about the possibility of a Marmol WP resulting in a Cards win. They must heart Marmol, too. Dang, I wish we had Sundae Sundays. Free frozen treats for two hours before every Sunday game. :-(

58. natsfan1a - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Okay, time to shift into Nats game mode.

59. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I can see DJ finding a place on the bench for Moore (perhaps in the Stairs/Tracy role) at some point if he keeps up his torrid pace, but "in the lineup"? Very doubtful. He's a 1B who has played a few innings in LF. Are you really going to bring him up and throw him out there? That seems more naive than keeping him in minors until you're sure that the current cast isn't going to produce.Let's put it this way … it behooves LaRoche to continue his SMALL sample size "torrid pace". I think I'd be betting on a guy with 66 homers in slightly more than 2 years over Adam LaRoche ending up at first base before July. If Moore is ready, he's ready. LaRoche could still end up as a bench player until the trade deadline. Its still early.

60. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I think (even though I am a Bernadina fan) that Roger may be the odd man out tomorrow.Look at Zimmerman's batting average? Bernadina isn't striking out constantly the way JMax did. He actually he the ball well yesterday. I think he starts in left-field with Ankiel in center. DeRosa and Nady off the bench. Lombo goes to Syracuse … Espinosa becomes backup shortstop and DeRosa returns to being the super sub utility guy for third, second, and first base.

61. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

66 homers in the minors over a guy who is a proven player at the MLB level? No thanks. I'll stick with LaRoche. Moore is in the minors for a reason.

62. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

i live in vaa beach,have cox cable and cant hear the game on masn 2,is this happening to everyone else?

63. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Anon in VA beach.. I have Verizon and can hear it, so it must be the cable provider.

64. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

MicheleS – try the radio – Charlie and Dave are much better anyway. 102.1FM or 1490AM but I'm not sure if they're carrying the game tonight. I'm in NOVA.

65. Jimmy - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Silly to complain about, I know, but really, only one FM game this season. 1500AM again?! Of course I'm grateful to hear it one way or another, but sheesh. Come on 106.7. You finally have a team worth airing and talking about, and nothing. Ok, end rant.Love this pitching and defense heavy Nats team. Brass tacks baseball at its finest. I love the vibe our Nats park gets behind good pitching – getting loud on two strikes, even early in the game.

66. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Oops – that was for Anon, not MicheleS

67. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

JZ looks really solid today. Love seeing Gio and Stras hanging together in the dugout!

68. Cwj - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

J. Zimmermann's games always seem to fly by.He definitely doesn't nibble at the plate, or walk around the mound 3 times between pitches.I like his style a lot.

69. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

my only problem with the nats is that if the inverted w thing turns out to be true,the nats will be affected by it more than most teams(gio,zimm,stras,storen,clipp,stammen,mattheus,purke,burnett and hrod all throw with it) The only signifigant pitchers who throw with it in our division are josh johnson,and craig kimbrel

70. Cwj - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

My Fun Stat of the Day: Nats runs scored by inning so far.1- 22- 13- 24- 25- 26- 47- 28- 89- 4XIn- 1

71. SFNats - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Cardiac Nats

72. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Anon in VA beach.. Apparantly MASN reads our blog…on Twitter:Nationals on MASN‏@masnNationals Cox Cable is having audio issues in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. They are working to fix it asap.

73. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Jimmy, yeah, it's sickening. The "other team" has 980 in DC and I can't even hear the Nats in Baltimore. Jeeze. When are we ever going to get some REAL radio coverage??? yes, I'm an old timer and love listening to games on the radio!

74. UnkyD - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM

7:44… Do you have a smart phone?

75. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM

And that is why Desi will have fewer errors this year. ALR!

76. Candide - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Two games in a row Desmond's made a play like that. I may have to rethink my hatred for him…

77. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM

No, data charges too expensive for me!

78. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM

7:53 was at UnkyD. Sorry.

79. Wally - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM

jd said…Section 222,Thank you for introducing some sanity. I see people discussing Eury Perez and Kobernus based on 1 week of AA. Like I said before; do it for a month and the let's see. You are exactly right on Moore; unless they move LaRoche there is no place for him at 1st. Brown might be more interesting but let's see a larger sample. JD & Sec222 – you must listen to me. Do not do this thing, or the curse of the Ancient Angels will fall on you too. Anon will find you wherever you are. You cannot hide from him. That little girl from the Ring has nothing on him. Repeat after me, and maybe you can be saved : Corey Brown is Jim Edmonds. Tyler Moore is Paul Konerko. As for me, alas, I fear that I have already 'watched the video', and am doomed.

80. MicheleS - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Candide.. let go of the hate.. Have a glass of Koolaid with the rest of us!

81. SFNats - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM

my only problem with the nats is that if the inverted w thing turns out to be true,the nats will be affected by it more than most That could be true, but only if you looked at the arm angles of every pitcher for every team in all of baseball. Over a long period of time. And if that analysis proved not only that the incidence of injury for "inverted W" types of pitchers was not just more predominant, but also that the Nats had more of those types of pitchers than the norm, and that losing those pitchers to injury hurt the Nats more than losing other pitchers with different types of arm angles/injuries hurt other teams. Or, it could all be confirmation bias.

82. Navy Nats Fan - Apr 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM

MicheleS – on the concerts, I don't know about Joel / John, but DMB tickets were available to STHs before the general public. Unfortunately, there's no mention of it in the press release for The Boss. I'm calling my STH rep Monday to find out!Favorite line from the DMB concert – the t-shirts had an odd font for the printing so the D looked alot like an O – leading to a "Why are all these people wearing Office of Management and Budget shirts?"Only in Washington…

83. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It was mentioned earlier that the Nats are on pace to score 24 more runs this year (648) than last season (624).Another way to look at it is going by the first 7 games this year (28 runs) divided by last year (25 runs) X 162.This would translate into the Nats scoring 699 runs, or 75 more than last year.Make of it what you will. :-) Basically though, the offense is better than last year. But the pitching is MUCH better than last year.Nats gave up 31 runs in their first 7 games in 2011. This year they've given up a mere 17!

84. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Thanks Navy! I am calling too, I didn't get my Red Carpet Rewards card either, so I can ask about that! and your right .. only in DC.. OMB

85. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Hey, MicheleS, I SAID I'm rethinking it…:-)

86. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

What's with the agressive RZ base running? At least he slid feet first

87. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Good base running by Zimm! Second to third on a deep fly by LaRoche.Good hustle Zimm!

88. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM

…and I'm drinking a glass of Quattro Goombas white (Leesburg winery), so the KoolAid will have to wait.

89. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Mark, thoughts on Ian Desmond saying "he does not care about OBP" when leading off? Has someone asked Davey about this?(Yes, quote was truncated, but for a leadoff hitter to say anything remotely in that direction is very troubling)

90. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh, Jayson…….:(

91. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Candide.. Cheers.. I have a nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc!

92. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Actually, with two outs it was not a great decision by Ryan. He came within a foot of being the 3rd out at 3rd base. Ryan may be trying a bit toooo hard.

93. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Why aren't the nats on masn HD?

94. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM

does anyone else think flores is a better hitter than ramos?

95. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Sm13- True, but he was safe so it was good :-)

96. baseballswami - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Why do we force our pitchers to be perfect? Jordan can't buy any run support. Again…sheesh.

97. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Anon- Because the Orioles are playing on MASN1 HD.MASN 2 is also HD, I believe. At least it appears to be on my tv.

98. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

CWJ — as in "oh no, oh no, oh good"?

99. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

masn2 on directv is not hd.

100. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Anon 8:10- Yeah I think Flores is a better hitter than Ramos. Remember, pre-injury Flores was a budding star catcher.I do think Ramos is a good hitter though, and wouldn't mind a 50/50 split with he and Flores.

101. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I have MASN2 HD on Verizon and it's great. We aren't on MASN1 because Angelos owns the network.. sigh.. I hope we stick it to him on the rights fees.

102. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM

SM13- Sure why not? :-) I like aggressive base running.He was a wild pitch away from scoring, instead of needing a hit to drive him in. Seems like a runner needs to be at third to have any chance to score so far for the Nats :)A moot point though, as he was stranded.

103. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Just confirmed that MASN2 is HD here on Xfinity as well.

104. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

What are the odds that some day soon, JZ just goes nuts and screams on the mound.. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME RUN SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!on the Ramos vs JFlo.. I think Ramos calls a better game or at least the pitchers seem more comfortable with him.

105. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM

What really sucks is. that on directv the O's are in hd and the nats are not.

106. baseballswami - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

MicheleS – have you ever seen Jordan question a ball/strike, glare at a hitter, or show an emotion on the mound? He needs to rip someone's head off. The "hitting" is terrible. Just atrocious against a Livan-wannabe.

107. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

And that's why the O's and Nats get rotated between MASN and MASN2 – to give each some HD time.

108. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM

So anyone complaining about our signing RZ to +100m vs Votto +200M? I know we got the better deal

109. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

SWEET DOUBLE PLAY BY ESPI!

110. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The Nats 5-2 record masks the sad fact that this tem can't score runs. Without Morse, there is no offense and it looks like Rizzo is hiding Rick Eckstein, just like he did last year.

111. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Swammi.. nope never seen him do any of that, that's why i am expecting a complete melt down at some point.

112. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I do like the aggresive defense from Espi. And the indecisive baserunning from Votto.

113. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I thought last year both masn 1 and 2 were hd

114. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Note to self: Stop hating on Desmond.

115. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Candide.. CHEERS! ;-)

116. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Not all systems have enough HD room to give MASN 2 HD channels. If not for that, one tean would always be on MASN and the other always on MASN2.

117. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Lannan implodes in the fifth as usual. 3 run homer followed by a walk. Four earned runs and 84 pitches. 8-4 Syracuse … 4 runs were unearned.

118. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM

this is frustrating.

119. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

8-4 Syracuse … 4 runs were unearned.8-4 Ironpigs. sorry.

120. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

God, this team is frustrating to watch…..

121. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

What's Arroyo's pitch count? Looks like we're not going to get doodlysquat until we get into Cincy's 'pen.

122. Section 222 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Anon@8:15 — MASN2 is in HD on DirecTV. It's channel 641-1. Arryoyo is pitching a pretty darn good game here. Time for the Nats to get some hits.

123. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Tyler Moore is Paul Konerko.Tyler Moore with another 2 RBI on a double tonight. Mississippi guys seem to have no problem with XBH with men on.

124. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Yup they are very frustrating. But this is what we got, so let's enyoy Jordan and pray the Cardiac Kids come back.

125. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM

That's it.. I am spiking the koolaid. The bourbon and Maalox are coming out. GOOD LORD! Desi's firs error! UGH!

126. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM

thanks. never saw that there was 2 x 641 channels on directv. thanks again.

127. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM

What a bizarre at-bat — Jordan buzzes Arroyo and Arroyo tries to bunt for a base hit!Now, we need a couple of runs. Jordan deserves a curly W tonight.

128. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Scratch that … Lannan only got to the 4th inning tonight and has been relieved.

129. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Just got home to see that Bronson "Cy Young" Arroyo is shutting down this prolific offense. Can't even hit bad pitchers…just wait until we see the Phillies, Giants, D-backs, Braves and Rays pitching. J Zimm has pitched 14 innings and given up just 2 ER and is staring at 0-2. Get him some #($*&% runs!!!

130. Wally - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Jordan is not getting a lot of help tonight. Let's see some late game magic again.

131. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Carp: "Tough hitters – Werth, DeRosa, Bernadina…"And he sounded like he was serious.

132. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Werthless-12th highest paid player in baseball…not even the 12th best player on his own team. That is some irony!!!

133. Marty - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

It's tough when you have to try and get 4 outs :)

134. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Why, Jayson, why?

135. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Holy moley! Are the Nats never going to score a run? How can Jordan have an ERA like that and not win?

136. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Need more wine.

137. baseballswami - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I am guessing that Jordan will be pulled now and take another loss after giving up 2 runs in 14 innings. That just really sucks.

138. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I can't believe that piece of crap pitcher is shutting out the nats – or maybe I can believe it.Michael Morse – you are missed greatly. I hope he is not watching this, but guessing he is.

139. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM

How is this team 5 and 2?

140. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Wow that Lannan box score is ugly — 4 earned runs, 3 walks, 9 hits in 4 innings. Ouch!

141. Section 222 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I wonder if I'll ever have confidence again in Zim's arm, especially when he's not throwing sidearm on the run.

142. lesatcsc - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

It would be interesting to see if any team in the entire history of MLB has given a specific starting pitcher as little support as this Nats team gives Zimmermann. It has to be close to a record. I'm not sure why they carry bats to the plate when he's pitching because they've completely forgotten what to do with them when they get there. We have a chance to win now that he's no longer pitching. Zimmermann would have won 12-15 with any other team in baseball last year, and he might win 20 this year with a different team. As it is, the best he can hope for is an 0-5 season with the leagues best ERA. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but if he doesn't pitch a shutout, it seems like he has no chance.

143. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Okay, there goes that goose-stepping Arroyo. Maybe now the Nats hitters will get down to business.

144. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

145. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I understand Zimmermann is retaining a lawyer to look into the possibility of suing the rest of the Nats for nonsupport.

146. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

X,X,X takin' Jordon off the hook!!! Alright!

147. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

GOON SQUAD!

148. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Nady! Let's recall that Jimbo gave up Bray & Majeski to get Kearns and Lopez.

149. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Can we get a look at the Reds' dugout, see if Arroyo has punched anyone in the face…?

150. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM

yyyyeeeessssss

151. lesatcsc - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

There you go! Zimmermann's night in the books and out come the bats.

152. UnkyD - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

God bless Dusty Baker…..

153. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

See what happens when I switch from white wine to red?

154. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

If Rodriguez comes in to pitch, I am going to get sick.

155. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Heh. Shot of the Reds' dugout; nobody seems to want to go anywhere near Arroyo.

156. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

this is unrelated but i think the nats have messed up harpers swing,watch his high school and college videos,he used his legs and core more effectivly and actually pulled the ball,now he has a new stride,his swing looks off balance and long at times and he hits the ball to left field because he is late,i dont really care about the numbers,he just isnt hitting the ball hard as muchto some extent eckstein has screwed up zims swing,he doesnt seem like hes able to pull a fastball like he used to,look at zims videos from 2009,his hands were lower and he just turned on fastballs

157. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Anon 9:16.. get the barf bag ready.. MPHRod is coming in..Bourbon CheckMaalox Check

158. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Time to give Lombardozzi a shot at 2B. Espinosa isn't cutting it.

159. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM

You gotta have faith in Henry!!

160. UnkyD - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Oh, HENRY!!!

161. UnkyD - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

9:18… To quote AI:GET OUTTA MY FACE WITH THAT CRAZY NONSENSE!!!!!!

162. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM

oh god, we are going to extras.

163. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

First hard-hit ball from Werth since… when? Timely. C'mon. finish them!

164. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Jayson with a hit in a clutch situation?

165. Ztown17 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Let's score some runs. Never be satiated, fellas!

166. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Sad to say I don't feel great about Roger at bat in this situation. Hope he proves me wrong.

167. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Agian espinosa is another example of why eckstein needs to go,look at espy's swing from 2010,he had so much more bat speed back then,in 2010 he used to swing with his lower half,now he looks like its an all upperbody swingIf i hear the carpenter praise the hitters for hitting the ball the way ill change the channel,they hit the ball the other way all the time because thier late,not because their miguel cabrera

168. Wally - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

So, what is going thru Roger's mind now?I am going with 'please walk me'.

169. UnkyD - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Wasn't too comfy with Werth a second ago, either, Dave….Go Shark!!!

170. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Roger may have just DFA'd himself.

171. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Alas, he proved me right. A wasted opportunity

172. jeffwx - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

last time i have to see Bernadina at bat for the Nats….yeah

173. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Dang – look at the stands, how many people are still there. Lots of games last year you didn't have that many people at the game on Saturday afternoon.Bernie… he's going down when Ankiel comes up tomorrow.

174. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Seriously, it's the first week of the season, I will end up in a fetal position quivering and my liver will be shot by May 1 if they keep this up.

175. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Somebody's going somewhere tomorrow when Ankiel's added. Who? The Shark?

176. Ztown17 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

groan. where is bryce harper when you need him? i would feel much better having harper strike out in that situation than bernie. at least we go down swinging with our best, as opposed to blowing an opportunity because our fringe CF couldn't come through.

177. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

…what MicheleS said. I'm too old for this stuff.

178. Mick - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Berdina cant get out of DC fast enough, he has noooooo stick

179. jeffwx - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

We got the A bullpen, the B bullpen and the F Outfield

180. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Oh.. And the Mets beat the Phillies.

181. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Bernadina is never going to cut it with the Nats. With Ankiel and Morse out he had yet another golden opportunity and he has proved once again he is not a major league hitter.

182. Wally - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

The Shark is my guess. But not because of this AB, obviously. I just think he and Ankiel are such similar players that it doesn't set up the bench well. My guess is Davey wants to keep Nady and Tracy, at least for now, because of their bats.Some are saying Lombo, because he is getting enough plate appearances. Maybe that is right, although I can't see them willing to be so thin up the middle.

183. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I really wanted to like Bernie, but he's (at best) no better than Ankiel at the plate, and not on the same planet in the outfield. Sorry to see him go, but he has to.(I'm sure that Rizzo and DJ are earnestly soliciting my opinion…)

184. sm13 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Tough call for Rizzo — if Bernadina goes, he's likely gone for good. He has no options and I bet some team will pick him up off the waiver wire. The team needs a genuine utility guy — Lombo — more than another lefty outfielder.

185. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM

186. Wally - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Man, Chapman looks hard to hit. The combination of the delivery and the stuff. Wow.Kind of like Henry, though. Not sure where it is going.

187. baseballswami - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM

This is just not a pitcher's duel — it's a "nobody can hit" duel.

188. NatsLady - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

It's cold here but lots of people staying.

189. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Gorzelanny – oh..

190. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

NatsLady/1A.. the THING in the Marlins park went off tonight. I can't find it on line yet, but I am sure we will have highlights

191. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM

It's cold here but lots of people staying.26,959 paid, and it looks like better than half of them are still there. Good for them.

192. Wally - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You really have to give it to Gorzy on that Votto AB. He never gave in and made great pitches.Fabulous pitching all night for Nats. This is a good Reds offense, too.

193. Dave - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Very good-looking crowd there.

194. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Nice play by Werth.

195. baseballswami - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Danny, Danny, Danny – don't you know that Steve Lombardozzi is just waiting for a shot? By the way, has he been in the game yet – seems like almost everyone has been.

196. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM

we should try to trade bernadina for torres,torres hit 16 homers,42 doubles,and 27 sb's in 2010 despite battling injuries,and the dimensions of at&t ballpark.in 2011 he was had nagging injuries and a problem with his swing,the story of how he was almost out of baseball and how he turned his career around is interesting and could help many of the nats players,here it ishttp://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/RethinkingHitting/Essays/MyExperienceWithAndresTorres.html

197. MicheleS - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Natslady/1A.. My mistake. A houston guy hit the first home run. The THING didn't go off. darn.

198. UnkyD - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Dave said…@Unkyd– Werth BA .290. Bernadina BA .143. I think Werth's going to be okay this year.Yep. I was just crossing my fingers, for Bernie…

199. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM

The Nats team ERA just dropped to 1.97!!! It's early, but man that is not bad at all :-)

200. Candide - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Okay, bedtime for me. Cunegonde and I will see you at the park tomorrow – section 219/C.