Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM EST
Needing to clear a roster spot for Rick Ankiel before he returns from the 15-day disabled list, the Nationals designated outfielder Brett Carroll for assignment following tonight's 13-inning victory over the Reds.
Carroll, 29, performed well in spring training and was frequently mentioned by manager Davey Johnson as a player who figured to significantly contribute off the bench. But the late signing and emergence of veteran Xavier Nady left Carroll scrambling to receive playing time.
Carroll wound up appearing in five of the season's first eight games but got only two at-bats. He did score two runs, including the game-winner on Opening Day in Chicago.
Out of options, Carroll must now clear waivers before he can beRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise
- History with Rizzo, Williams gives Nats confidence in Scherzer