Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM EDT
Needing to clear a roster spot for Rick Ankiel before he returns from the 15-day disabled list, the Nationals designated outfielder Brett Carroll for assignment following tonight's 13-inning victory over the Reds.
Carroll, 29, performed well in spring training and was frequently mentioned by manager Davey Johnson as a player who figured to significantly contribute off the bench. But the late signing and emergence of veteran Xavier Nady left Carroll scrambling to receive playing time.
Carroll wound up appearing in five of the season's first eight games but got only two at-bats. He did score two runs, including the game-winner on Opening Day in Chicago.
Out of options, Carroll must now clear waivers before he can beRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend