Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM EDT
Needing to clear a roster spot for Rick Ankiel before he returns from the 15-day disabled list, the Nationals designated outfielder Brett Carroll for assignment following tonight's 13-inning victory over the Reds.
Carroll, 29, performed well in spring training and was frequently mentioned by manager Davey Johnson as a player who figured to significantly contribute off the bench. But the late signing and emergence of veteran Xavier Nady left Carroll scrambling to receive playing time.
Carroll wound up appearing in five of the season's first eight games but got only two at-bats. He did score two runs, including the game-winner on Opening Day in Chicago.
Out of options, Carroll must now clear waivers before he can beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss