Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM EDT
Needing to clear a roster spot for Rick Ankiel before he returns from the 15-day disabled list, the Nationals designated outfielder Brett Carroll for assignment following tonight's 13-inning victory over the Reds.
Carroll, 29, performed well in spring training and was frequently mentioned by manager Davey Johnson as a player who figured to significantly contribute off the bench. But the late signing and emergence of veteran Xavier Nady left Carroll scrambling to receive playing time.
Carroll wound up appearing in five of the season's first eight games but got only two at-bats. He did score two runs, including the game-winner on Opening Day in Chicago.
Out of options, Carroll must now clear waivers before he can beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back