Apr 14, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Edwin Jackson and the Nationals try to make it five in a row this afternoon.
Fresh off back-to-back, walk-off victories in extra innings, the Nationals return to the field this afternoon attempting to actually win a game, you know, in regulation. Scoring more than one run through the day's first 12 innings would certainly help their cause.
Davey Johnson does get one of his regulars back, with Rick Ankiel officially activated off the 15-day DL and inserted right into the starting center field position. Ankiel's return sends struggling Roger Bernadina (4-for-28, 8 strikeouts) to the bench. Xavier Nady, whose pinch-hit homer in the bottom of the eighth last night made the extra innings possible, gets the start in left field today.
Coming off a pedestrian debut in New York (three runs allowed in five innings), Edwin Jackson will look to continue this superb stretch by the Nationals rotation. Ross Detwiler, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann collectively gave up one run over 25 innings the last four days. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 14 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats set franchise record for futility with RISP
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston