Apr 14, 2012, 3:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann was great again, but again got no run support.
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann pitched brilliantly (again) and got no run support (again). Stymied for 7 1/3 innings by Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo, the Nationals finally got on the board when pinch-hitter Xavier Nady delivered a solo homer off reliever Bill Bray in the bottom of the eighth. The Nats bullpen then kept this one going long enough for Jayson Werth to deliver the game-winner: a bases-loaded single up the middle in the bottom of the 13th.
Hitting highlight: There weren't many to choose from, but the one that kept the Nats alive gets the prize. With his team trailing 1-0 in the eighth and unable to do anything at the plate, Davey Johnson countered Dusty Baker's decision to summon lefty Bray from the bullpen by sending up Nady to pinch-hit for pinch-hitter Chad Tracy. Brilliant move, because Nady delivered the game-tying home run into the left-field bullpen.
Pitching highlight: What else can be said about Zimmermann? He pitches great, even if he never gets any run support. The right-hander duplicated his pitching line from his first start of the season, allowingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?