Apr 14, 2012, 3:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann was great again, but again got no run support.
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann pitched brilliantly (again) and got no run support (again). Stymied for 7 1/3 innings by Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo, the Nationals finally got on the board when pinch-hitter Xavier Nady delivered a solo homer off reliever Bill Bray in the bottom of the eighth. The Nats bullpen then kept this one going long enough for Jayson Werth to deliver the game-winner: a bases-loaded single up the middle in the bottom of the 13th.
Hitting highlight: There weren't many to choose from, but the one that kept the Nats alive gets the prize. With his team trailing 1-0 in the eighth and unable to do anything at the plate, Davey Johnson countered Dusty Baker's decision to summon lefty Bray from the bullpen by sending up Nady to pinch-hit for pinch-hitter Chad Tracy. Brilliant move, because Nady delivered the game-tying home run into the left-field bullpen.
Pitching highlight: What else can be said about Zimmermann? He pitches great, even if he never gets any run support. The right-hander duplicated his pitching line from his first start of the season, allowingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?