Apr 14, 2012, 3:11 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann was great again, but again got no run support.
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann pitched brilliantly (again) and got no run support (again). Stymied for 7 1/3 innings by Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo, the Nationals finally got on the board when pinch-hitter Xavier Nady delivered a solo homer off reliever Bill Bray in the bottom of the eighth. The Nats bullpen then kept this one going long enough for Jayson Werth to deliver the game-winner: a bases-loaded single up the middle in the bottom of the 13th.
Hitting highlight: There weren't many to choose from, but the one that kept the Nats alive gets the prize. With his team trailing 1-0 in the eighth and unable to do anything at the plate, Davey Johnson countered Dusty Baker's decision to summon lefty Bray from the bullpen by sending up Nady to pinch-hit for pinch-hitter Chad Tracy. Brilliant move, because Nady delivered the game-tying home run into the left-field bullpen.
Pitching highlight: What else can be said about Zimmermann? He pitches great, even if he never gets any run support. The right-hander duplicated his pitching line from his first start of the season, allowingRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals