Apr 14, 2012, 5:15 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is mobbed after delivering the game-winning hit in the 13th inning.
He'd come to the plate six times, as had most of his teammates, and seen this game drag on deeper and deeper into the night, each side squandering what few opportunities there were to simply push across the one run that would win this marathon ballgame.
So by the time he stepped up to bat in the bottom of the 13th inning, the bases loaded with Nationals, fewer than half of the original crowd of 26,959 still in attendance, Jayson Werth figured it was time to put an end to this madness.
Really, what other choice was there at 11:12 p.m. on a Friday night?
"You play that long and not get a win?" Werth said. "That would hurt."
Yes, a loss would've stung. But a 2-1 victory over the Reds, thanks to Werth's walk-off single up the middle past a drawn-in Cincinnati infield?Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts