Apr 14, 2012, 5:15 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is mobbed after delivering the game-winning hit in the 13th inning.
He'd come to the plate six times, as had most of his teammates, and seen this game drag on deeper and deeper into the night, each side squandering what few opportunities there were to simply push across the one run that would win this marathon ballgame.
So by the time he stepped up to bat in the bottom of the 13th inning, the bases loaded with Nationals, fewer than half of the original crowd of 26,959 still in attendance, Jayson Werth figured it was time to put an end to this madness.
Really, what other choice was there at 11:12 p.m. on a Friday night?
"You play that long and not get a win?" Werth said. "That would hurt."
Yes, a loss would've stung. But a 2-1 victory over the Reds, thanks to Werth's walk-off single up the middle past a drawn-in Cincinnati infield?Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'
- Nats hope to keep bats rolling vs. Phillies
- MLB Power Rankings: Red Sox, Dodgers flying high
- Nats' offense continues to roll in win vs. Phillies
- Michael Taylor showing Nats glimpses of his potential
- Fister gets the better of Hamels in 5-2 win in Philadelphia