Apr 14, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Craig Stammen has struck out six of the last seven batters he's faced.
When Craig Stammen entered to pitch the top of the 13th inning last night, the Nationals reliever had no idea how many people in the Washington area were still burning the midnight oil to watch this 4-hour marathon. But he had a pretty good idea what was going on in his hometown of Versailles, Ohio, at that moment.
"Because every single person I know was watching the game," he said. "And rooting for the Reds. So that makes it good that I pitched well against them."
Stammen didn't just pitch well against his childhood favorites. He obliterated them. For the second straight day.
In two appearances against the Reds, Stammen has faced seven total batters and struck out six of them. And since both appearances came in extra innings, shortly before his Nationals teammates rallied to score,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill