Apr 14, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Craig Stammen has struck out six of the last seven batters he's faced.
When Craig Stammen entered to pitch the top of the 13th inning last night, the Nationals reliever had no idea how many people in the Washington area were still burning the midnight oil to watch this 4-hour marathon. But he had a pretty good idea what was going on in his hometown of Versailles, Ohio, at that moment.
"Because every single person I know was watching the game," he said. "And rooting for the Reds. So that makes it good that I pitched well against them."
Stammen didn't just pitch well against his childhood favorites. He obliterated them. For the second straight day.
In two appearances against the Reds, Stammen has faced seven total batters and struck out six of them. And since both appearances came in extra innings, shortly before his Nationals teammates rallied to score,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?