Stammen thrives against hometown team

Apr 14, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Craig Stammen has struck out six of the last seven batters he's faced.

When Craig Stammen entered to pitch the top of the 13th inning last night, the Nationals reliever had no idea how many people in the Washington area were still burning the midnight oil to watch this 4-hour marathon. But he had a pretty good idea what was going on in his hometown of Versailles, Ohio, at that moment.

"Because every single person I know was watching the game," he said. "And rooting for the Reds. So that makes it good that I pitched well against them."

Stammen didn't just pitch well against his childhood favorites. He obliterated them. For the second straight day.

In two appearances against the Reds, Stammen has faced seven total batters and struck out six of them. And since both appearances came in extra innings, shortly before his Nationals teammates rallied to score,Read more ยป

1. JaneB - Apr 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Maybe he will make them upset again today. If he needs to, I'mm 1000% behind him.

2. Anonymous - Apr 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I am really glad they picked Craig over Durbin JayB. But I wonder why no one wants to write about Gorzelanny who looks like a far better choice than the pitcher who has become worse than Yunesky Maya, John Lannan?

3. SpingfieldNatsFan1 - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Stammen is one of those players that separates the pretenders from legitimate playoff contenders. The Nats front office and scouts deserve a lot of credit for holding onto Stammen until this point where he's really coming into his own.

4. Theophilus - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Stammen really proves the value of minor league instruction. From a low-profile college program, not a high draft pick. I recall the Nats saying that, only in 2008 did he finally develop his sinker, lower his WHIP and BB/9 and elevate his GO/AO. (Gawd I'm sounding like one of those SABRE people I can't stand.) With his background as a starter, he's a Bautista with "stuff." Not just a mop up guy. The extra-innings slot is ideal for him. How often is there a tie game, or a blown save, where the closer and set-up guy have been burned, the bullpen has been stretched thin and you think, "Who's going fight off the aliens until this bunch can score a run?" I would keep him around forever.

5. fpcsteve - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Casey Cox redux. How old am I? Rhetorical question that requires no reply… (-;

6. Cwj - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Way to go Stammen!What a far different pitcher than he was as a rookie starter a couple years ago.He's learned a lot since then and is now a very good reliever.He really does rack up the Ks!

7. LoveDaNats - Apr 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

He has been unbelievable. I was not much of a fan when he was a starter but he has improved so much and they are using him just right.

8. ehay2k - Apr 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I have always like Stammen's stuff. It was his pitch choices and tendency to nibble that caused him problems. So, I'm happy he has found a role and is doing well. There's no one to dislike, like with FLop and Dukes, on this team. :-)

9. natsfan1a - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Atta way, Stammen! Ohioans are very nice; I married one. :-)

10. Gonat - Apr 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Remember our comments at the beginning of Spring Training that got a lot of laughs about Stammen's extra weight in his lower body and glutes.