Apr 15, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman can't watch as Ryan Ludwick rounds the bases on a grand slam.
The blown calls came in rapid fire — Bang! Bang! Bang! — on three consecutive at-bats in the top of the first, each umpiring gaffe enraging the Nationals more than the previous one.
Standing on the mound, Ross Detwiler knew there was nothing he could about it. Yes, he should have been out of the inning on only 20 pitches, the scoreboard showing a big, fat zero for the Reds. But nothing he said or did at that point was going to change anything.
As much as he wanted to believe he could cast the calls aside and bear down on his next pitch to Ryan Ludwick, Detwiler admitted that was easier said than done.
"I need to stay in it and focus mentally on my next pitch," he said. "I think I let it go a little bit. It wasn't completely gone, but I let it go a little bit. And that's when you make your mistake."
Indeed, Detwiler's 2-2 pitch to Ludwick was the mistake he couldn't afford to make. A fastball that was supposed to be in on the right-Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche