Apr 15, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Even when his bat shatters, Jesus Flores is recording base hits these days.
This isn't the first time Jesus Flores has been asked to serve as the Nationals' backup catcher. He did it as a rookie Rule 5 draft pick in 2007, and he did it again late last season.
It's no easy task, though, to keep your bat sharp when opportunities are few and far between, something Flores certainly experienced last year while hitting a scant .209 with one homer and two RBI over 91 plate appearances.
A year older and a year wiser, Flores seems to have figured out the trick to success as a backup. He's already produced six hits in 10 at-bats while matching his RBI output from 2011 as a whole.
"Last year, I was in the same page," he said. "Now I'm more mature and kind of became more experienced, so I kind of learned to get to know myself better. I just keep doing my drills and all that stuff to keep my swing in check, and that's why I've been [more] successful in theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1