Apr 15, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Even when his bat shatters, Jesus Flores is recording base hits these days.
This isn't the first time Jesus Flores has been asked to serve as the Nationals' backup catcher. He did it as a rookie Rule 5 draft pick in 2007, and he did it again late last season.
It's no easy task, though, to keep your bat sharp when opportunities are few and far between, something Flores certainly experienced last year while hitting a scant .209 with one homer and two RBI over 91 plate appearances.
A year older and a year wiser, Flores seems to have figured out the trick to success as a backup. He's already produced six hits in 10 at-bats while matching his RBI output from 2011 as a whole.
"Last year, I was in the same page," he said. "Now I'm more mature and kind of became more experienced, so I kind of learned to get to know myself better. I just keep doing my drills and all that stuff to keep my swing in check, and that's why I've been [more] successful in theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action