Apr 15, 2012, 9:18 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Brandon Phillips turns a double play as Jayson Werth slides into second base.
Game in a nutshell: A disastrous top of the first featured three blown calls (one by first base umpire Mike Everitt, two by plate ump Laz Diaz) put the Nationals in a 4-0 hole that later became 5-0 in the fourth. But they slowly chipped away at the lead and eventually stormed all the way back to tie it at 5 and force extra innings for the third time in four days. The late magic was nowhere to be found this time, though, as Tyler Clippard gave up three runs in the top of the 11th to bring an end to the Nats' five-game winning streak.
Hitting highlight: He may not fit the mold of a traditional leadoff man, but as long as Ian Desmond keeps producing like this, who cares? Desmond delivered three more hits today, two of them scoring runs. He also showed nice hustle and awareness to take an extra base when center fielder Chris Heisey threw to the plate. Desmond is now hitting .354 for the season.
Pitching highlight: The way things went in the top of the first — with three blown calls by the umpires leading to Ryan Ludwick's grand slam — Ross Detwiler easily could have melted down. Instead, the youngRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance