Apr 15, 2012, 1:16 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson congratulates Edwin Jackson at the conclusion of his 2-hitter.
Edwin Jackson had just issued a four-pitch walk to Chris Heisey to open the top of the eighth, and inside the Nationals dugout manager Davey Johnson insisted was a nervous wreck.
Wait a minute. Jackson had just retired 16 consecutive batters before issuing that walk. And the Nationals held a comfortable, 4-1 lead on the Reds. Why on earth would Johnson say he hadn't been that nervous in years?
"Well, I mean, when I'm seeing a gem, and we need it, and I'm seeing lights-out [stuff], it makes me nervous," the manager said. "I don't usually get nervous, but when you see something like that … from a manager's standpoint, it's kind of like: You don't want anything to go wrong."
So Johnson sent Steve McCatty to the mound and instructed his pitching coach to check on Jackson. The goal: Find out whether theRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Report: NL West team still talking to Phillies about Hamels
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- 2015 outlook: Miami Marlins
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels