Apr 16, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang is slated to pitch a simulated game Wednesday in Viera.
Though Chien-Ming Wang has progressed quickly from a strained hamstring and could be ready to return to a big-league mound by the end of the month, the Nationals plan to take things slowly with the veteran right-hander, not feeling the need to rush him back with the club's rotation already performing at such a high level.
Wang is scheduled to pitch in a simulated game Wednesday at the Nationals' extended spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Manager Davey Johnson suggested the 32-year-old could start a minor-league game next week, but general manager Mike Rizzo said the rehab process will take longer than that, in part because there's no immediate need for another starter in his rotation right now.
"I think [the current rotation depth] changes it," Rizzo said before tonight's game against the Astros. "We have the luxury, if you will, to really make sure that he's 100 percent healthy and stretched out and that the hammy, we don't re-aggravate it."
Wang hurt himself March 15 trying to make a running play at first base. Club officials initially feared the injury was severe, but Wang was backRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate