Apr 17, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rick Ankiel wowed everyone at Nationals Park last night with his sixth-inning throw.
In the five years since he successfully returned to the major leagues as a position player after seeing his pitching career come to a screeching halt, Rick Ankiel has dazzled onlookers plenty of times with remarkable throws from the outfield.
But Ankiel might have topped himself last night with a throw that won't soon be forgotten around the Nationals' clubhouse.
Even more remarkable, it didn't result in a baserunner getting thrown out or scoring.
The situation: With the bases loaded and nobody out in the top of the sixth, Astros cleanup hitter Carlos Lee sent a flyball to medium-deep center field. Standing on third base, Jordan Schafer tried to pretend he was going to tag up, but he knew better than to test the mightyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)
- Who is the most underrated Nationals player? (VIDEO)