Apr 17, 2012, 7:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez takes the mound tonight against the Astros at Nationals Park.
The Nationals faced only one left-handed starter in their first 11 games, Mets ace Johan Santana, so Davey Johnson hasn't had much reason to consider platoons and lefty-righty matchups. Tonight, though, the Astros send Wandy Rodriguez to the hill, so Johnson had some decisions to make before filling out his lineup card.
As planned, Jayson Werth will slide over from right field to center field, sending Rick Ankiel to the bench. Werth also will hit cleanup. Xavier Nady and Mark DeRosa take over the two corner outfield positions. Johnson had planned to sit Adam LaRoche against lefties and use DeRosa at first base, but LaRoche has been so productive at the plate (and has stayed healthy) that Johnson doesn't feel like he needs a breather.
Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, makes his third start of the season (his second at home) and will look to pitch the first-place Nationals to their seventh win in eight days. Plenty of updates and analysis to come…
HOUSTON ASTROS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly clear, 69 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Jayson Werth
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB