Apr 17, 2012, 2:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg dominated for five innings before allowing two runs in the sixth.
Game in a nutshell: Stephen Strasburg was just about everything the Nationals could have hoped in his first home start of the season, though the young staff ace did let the Astros come back to tie the game in the top of the sixth. No worries, because the suddenly potent Washington lineup (led by Steve Lombardozzi and Ryan Zimmerman) plated four runs in the bottom of the sixth, giving Strasburg the win and keeping the Nationals in first place in the NL East for another day.
Hitting highlight: Entering this game, Lombardozzi had eight total hits in the big leagues. The rookie second baseman increased that number by 50 percent, going 4-for-5 and driving in the go-ahead runs with a huge, two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the sixth. Lombardozzi also dropped a beautiful bunt down the third-base line for one of his four hits.
Pitching highlight: For five innings, Strasburg was absolutely brilliant, keeping the Astros from scoring while keeping his pitch count to aRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats decline to name Game 4 starter or playoff roster
- Nationals name Game 1 starter against Giants
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Stock Watch: Rotation is sizzling heading into October
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats