Apr 17, 2012, 4:31 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi had plenty to smile about after going 4-for-5.
He had carved up the Astros lineup for five innings, making mincemeat of every hitter who dared step to the plate, but after slogging his way through a laborious top of the sixth Stephen Strasburg retreated to the dugout knowing he had just turned the Nationals' two-run lead into a tie ballgame.
Fortunately for Strasburg, the entire Nationals dugout realized what had just happened and was determined to put its young ace back in line for the win.
"Oh, for sure," second baseman Steve Lombardozzi said. "He pitched his butt off again. You always want to try and get those runs back for your starting pitcher, as well as he pitched tonight."
It's one thing to think it. It's another to actually go out there and do it the way Lombardozzi and his teammates did during a stirring, four-run rally in the bottom of the sixth that immediately put the Nationals back on top and on course to close out a 6-3 victory that ensured this teamRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Nats at Orioles, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)
- Who is the most underrated Nationals player? (VIDEO)
- Williams tries to keep Nats bench fresh; more on Harper, Rendon
- Nationals at the break: Who's been MVP, biggest surprise?
- Gio, Nationals look for series win over Orioles and win No. 50
- Doug Fister battles way to win over Baltimore
- Healthy Nationals get a healthy win (VIDEO)
- Even when he looks shaky, Nationals trust Fister (VIDEO)
- Healthy Nats lineup starting to rediscover power