Apr 17, 2012, 4:31 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi had plenty to smile about after going 4-for-5.
He had carved up the Astros lineup for five innings, making mincemeat of every hitter who dared step to the plate, but after slogging his way through a laborious top of the sixth Stephen Strasburg retreated to the dugout knowing he had just turned the Nationals' two-run lead into a tie ballgame.
Fortunately for Strasburg, the entire Nationals dugout realized what had just happened and was determined to put its young ace back in line for the win.
"Oh, for sure," second baseman Steve Lombardozzi said. "He pitched his butt off again. You always want to try and get those runs back for your starting pitcher, as well as he pitched tonight."
It's one thing to think it. It's another to actually go out there and do it the way Lombardozzi and his teammates did during a stirring, four-run rally in the bottom of the sixth that immediately put the Nationals back on top and on course to close out a 6-3 victory that ensured this teamRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?