Apr 17, 2012, 4:31 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi had plenty to smile about after going 4-for-5.
He had carved up the Astros lineup for five innings, making mincemeat of every hitter who dared step to the plate, but after slogging his way through a laborious top of the sixth Stephen Strasburg retreated to the dugout knowing he had just turned the Nationals' two-run lead into a tie ballgame.
Fortunately for Strasburg, the entire Nationals dugout realized what had just happened and was determined to put its young ace back in line for the win.
"Oh, for sure," second baseman Steve Lombardozzi said. "He pitched his butt off again. You always want to try and get those runs back for your starting pitcher, as well as he pitched tonight."
It's one thing to think it. It's another to actually go out there and do it the way Lombardozzi and his teammates did during a stirring, four-run rally in the bottom of the sixth that immediately put the Nationals back on top and on course to close out a 6-3 victory that ensured this teamRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs