Apr 17, 2012, 10:35 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Mark DeRosa has only two hits in 22 at-bats so far this season.
When the Nationals broke camp in Florida and headed north to open the season, there was no player on the roster more locked-in at the plate than Mark DeRosa. The veteran utilityman tore the cover off the ball all spring, posting a .457 batting average and stunning .587 on-base percentage.
And then the regular season began and DeRosa appeared to lose all ability to hit a baseball. He enters tonight's game against the Astros with only two hits in 22 at-bats, each of them singles, leading to a pathetic .091 slugging percentage.
"Night and day," DeRosa muttered this afternoon inside the Nationals' clubhouse, admitting he's had trouble sleeping because of it. "That's why this game is so frustrating. If I had the answer for it, I'd just keep hitting like I was in the spring and I'd be smiling every day. But that's not the way this game is."
DeRosa thinks he knows what happened: With Michael Morse on the disabled list for at least five more weeks due to a lingering lat strain, the starting left field job was suddenly there for the taking for a guyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?