Apr 18, 2012, 3:35 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed seven more scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 2.04.
As the tying run stood on second base, Brad Lidge still needing to record three outs before letting that runner advance 180 feet, hardly anybody inside the Nationals dugout or in the field began to worry they might not pull off this 1-0 victory over the Astros.
"I was calm and collected out there," center fielder Jayson Werth said. "I knew he had it all the way."
"It was exciting," said left-hander Gio Gonzalez, even though his seven-inning gem was on the verge of being blown up. "I have all the confidence in the world in our bullpen. I wouldn't trade anything in the world for these guys."
Piece of cake, right? Well, not for everyone in a Nationals uniform.
"I mean, it's not easy on me," manager Davey Johnson said. "But … we actually like it when it's close like that. It puts more on every at-bat, every pitch. We're playing games kind of like in a pennant race. AndRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions