Game 14: Astros at Nats

Apr 19, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The first-place Nationals go for a four-game sweep of the Astros tonight.

For the third time in four series so far this season, the Nationals have an opportunity to sweep their opponents. Stop and think about that for a moment. Pretty remarkable.

If they are to pull off a four-game whitewashing of the Astros, the Nationals will need another quality start from Edwin Jackson, who five days ago was absolutely brilliant in tossing a two-hit, complete game against the Reds. They'll also have to hope to continue their trend of scratching out just enough runs late to emerge victorious.

One significant lineup change for tonight: Ian Desmond is getting his first day off this season. That means Steve Lombardozzi will start at shortstop and hit leadoff. No other surprises from Davey Johnson.

Though I'm here at the ballpark for pregame news and notes, I'll actually be leaving shortly after first pitch. Have some family matters to take care of that will keep me from covering tomorrow night's game as well. Never fear, though, because long-time local scribe Rich Dubroff will have complete coverage on CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his articles right here…

HOUSTON ASTROS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 67 degrees, Wind 4 mph RF to LF

SS Steve Lombardozzi
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

GYFNG and sweep!Be nice to each other.

2. NatsLady - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Interesting. Desi's hitting cools and he gets a day off. Or maybe Davey just wants to stack the lefties (Lombo being a switch hitter).I hear from the Marlins announcers that Detwiler is getting Zambrano tomorrow. Now, what can we do to get the big Z's temper going??

3. SpingfieldNatsFan1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

So is it SS vs Johnson for game 2 of the fish series?

4. NatsJack at the Tune Inn - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Last game of my 7 game stay. Sure would love a sweep but Norris is tough.Need another stellar performance from Edwin.

5. A DC Wonk - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Fore! (oh, wait, not golf! . . . ;-)

6. A DC Wonk - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Interesting. Desi's hitting cools and he gets a day off. Or maybe Davey just wants to stack the leftiesOr perhaps he's going to sort-of-alternate who sits down (Ian or Espi) when Lombo plays?I'd love to know what the thought process was there.

7. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

What's more interesting Nats Lady is Bernadina starting in left field again … The things about Lombardozzi and Bernadina?Lombo walks Desmond doesn't and he hits fastballs. Desmond is hitting fastballs.Bernadina is hitting fastballs.Most of the rest of the lineup are not hitting fastballs. Which may explain why Werth, LaRoche, and Zim have super low ISO's. NO extra base hits per se. Mostly bloopers and grounders. Davey needs to find some fastball hitters and last night Bernadina crushed one. That was the problem they had last year as well no one was hitting fastballs!

8. A DC Wonk - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey Mark — if you're leaving shortly after the first pitch, does that mean the Nats will be scoring runs all game long?!?

9. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

That there is a negative. SS on Sat. JJ on Sun.

10. Davey's Head - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Davey's thought process:Lombardozzi is hitting .500 when he plays. Nobody else is hitting .500 when they play.Let's start Lombardozzi tonight in place of anyone.

11. NatsJack at the Tune Inn - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

What? How can that be? Bernadina didn't get released! I'm shocked!

12. NatsJack at the Tune Inn - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I'll ne the first to say it……Lombardozzi at shortstop….uhoh.

13. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

NatsLady said… I hear from the Marlins announcers that Detwiler is getting Zambrano tomorrow. Now, what can we do to get the big Z's temper going?? April 19, 2012 3:43 PM ___________________________Uh, Nats scoring 4 runs in the 1st inning with Z getting ticked at the umpire?

14. NatsNow - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

So we get GG vs. JJ on Sunday? Go Nats!

15. Steady Eddie - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

SS vs. Anibal Sanchez on Saturday. JJ vs. GG on Sunday. (Worth coming out for the dueling initials alone, except the weather looks like a rainout.)

16. NatsNow - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Mark – In case anyone really cares, 1580AM changed their calls to WNEW-AM to coincide with the launch of the all-news station on 99.1. WHFS no longer exists…

17. NatsJack at the Tune Inn - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I'll be…. That's what I tried to punch in with this fat thumb.

18. HHover - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Steady EddieI wouldn't despair too much yet about Sunday. Forecast earlier was for real downpours, but that's been scaled back to showers. Still a 50-60% chance of rain, but mostly before 2pm.

19. Just sayin' - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

DC Wonk: If Davey is serious about getting Lombardozzi 350 ABs, then Lombardozzi is going to have to start roughly 4 games out of 10 (plus assorted PH appearances, double switches with a couple of ABs, etc.). That probably means we'll see him substituting at 2B, 3B, and SS on a regular basis, plus some starts in LF. And that would mean that Dezi, Espi, and RZ would each be sitting roughly one game out of 10. Not sure if that's sustainable (particularly with RZ), but that's about what it would take to get those 350 promised ABs.

20. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Always a good thought. To put it another way, be excellent to each other. :-)Be nice to each other.

21. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I'm pretty sure he can do that quite well on his own. ;-)Now, what can we do to get the big Z's temper going??

22. Laddie_Blah_Blah - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Good to see the Shark getting another look. He was really squaring them up in ST when he had to leave when his dad passed away. He is being more selective this season, as are most of the Nats. They also have a much better defensive OF with Shark, the Arm, and Werth.But they have got to start hitting. Remember the Nats' 1st year here? They won many 1-run squeakers during the 1st half, and led the dividion at the All-Star break. Then reality set in and they started losing the close ones for the rest of the season and ended up in last place.Of course, this staff is much, much better than that one. A little power would help. Bernie and Ankiel should be an upgrade over Nady and DeRosa, but we need RZ to start raking, and hope Mikey Mo makes it back in late April.Harper still has not had a single dinger, either, and he's hitting about .220 against minor league pitching. Doesn't look like he is anywhere near ready to help out. Moore is the guy who has been driving the ball in AAA.

23. NatsBrat - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Almost anything will ignite Zambrano's short fuse. Having President Teddy moon him might be a start.In other news, why not have Espi, with the better arm, cover short, and Lombo play 2nd?Desi deserves a day off.

24. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Note to self: pack poncho in game bag on Sunday.Oh, and hope that all is well on the family front, Mark.

25. Section 222 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Not surprised that Desi is getting a night off. All the infielders should, every now and then. I doubt that it has to do with his performance recently, although he has cooled a good bit in the last few games. (Hit the ball hard last night though, especially that blast to center.) I'm a little surprised that Espi isn't playing short in this lineup with Lombo at 2nd. He's better there than Lombo at the more difficult position, isn't he? Surely if Desi were injured for a few weeks, Espi would take over. No?Fun with pitching stats — Four of the Nats five starters are in the top 20 starters in the NL in ERA and WHIP. And all five are in the top 30. Four of the five are in the top 30 starters in all of MLB in both categories, and all five are in the top 52. Strasburg — 1.42 ERA (17th in MLB), 0.95 WHIP (30th)Gio — 2.04 ERA (30th), 0.91 WHIP (25th)Znn — 1.29 ERA (12th), 0.71 WHIP (10th)E-Jax — 2.57 ERA (40th), 0.64 WHIP (5th)Det — 0.90 ERA (8th), 1.10 WHIP (52nd)Admittedly, these stats include just 2 or 3 starters per pitcher. But wow, just wow. By the way, I see stats comparing rotations. Is there a site that lets you easily aggregate the full rotation's stats, or do I have to get out a calculator?

26. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

NatsNow said… So we get GG vs. JJ on Sunday? Go Nats! April 19, 2012 4:00 PM ___________________________Agree with Steady Eddie, advance weather forecast looks very rainy which may mean just overcast.

27. Young Pitchers - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

SS Lombo? should be interesting.anyways, first game tomorrow, and got a question for VA folks – do you bail out SE Fwy at Maine Ave then go east on M, or stay on it and get off at 6th exit then go west? the parking lot is at M & Half (lot H). plan to get there 6:30-ish. tks!

28. NatsJack at the Tune Inn - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

29. Scott from Burke - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Adam Dunn hitting 200 with 1 tater..nick johnson has not gotten a hit this year..michael morse ..well, who knows? Mr. Laroche, please avoid black cats and walking under ladders..first base for nats has a bad history

30. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Young pitchers: Metro

31. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

NatsJack at the Tune Inn said… I can see Jordan Scheafer hitting a routine ground ball to short and beating it out. I saw it hapen at Viera with Lombo at short. April 19, 2012 4:26 PM _________________________Glad to see Desi get a day-off. Next they need to get a day-off for each of JWerth, RZim and ALaRoc.

32. sjm308 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Off I go! No broom (whisk or otherwise), will just have to yell "sweep" a bunch of times. Really wasted more time on the last posting. Amazing how nasty some can get. I love disagreements but it doesn't mean either person is an idiot.Sec 222, I remember someone asked Davey this spring about Espi moving to short and he nixed it then. I think if this thing with Lombo as a utility player is really going to work then he has to get thrown into big time. Just hope NatsJack is wrong on this one. Nice thing is, if he is wrong he will man up and not call anyone a name.We need to be PFB tonight!!Go Nats

33. sjm308 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

thrown into "it" big time

34. pdowdy83 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Scott, shouldn't last year count as enough bad luck for LaRoche? lolI'm not saying that Lombo is a great shortstop but I would like to think the guy can handle it for 1 night. If Mike Fontenot, Wilson Valdez, etc can do it so can he. This forum just always has to have something to worry about. It is quite ridiculous sometimes.

35. Anonymouse - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

This is an offensive explosion for Syracuse but lousy pitching so they lost.http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t552&t=g_box&gid=2012_04_19_pawaaa_syraaa_1Corey Brown back at it. HR to go with a double. Tyler Moore 3 for 4.

36. Feel Wood - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

In other news, why not have Espi, with the better arm, cover short, and Lombo play 2nd?As Davey has said, he's not going to move Espi to short for a day every now and then so Lombo can get a game in at second. But if Desi gets hurt and is going to be out for a while, he would move Espi to short and have Lombo play second. That makes sense, because Espi and Desi are regulars and Lombo is the utility guy. You don't turn your regulars into utility guys by making them switch positions for a night, because being able to play a different spot every night is the utility guy's job. Davey wants players to know their roles, and he respects those roles, which is what keeps the players happy in their role. It's a chess-playing manager's kind of move, something Riggleman would never understand.

37. JaneB - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Hope all is well at home, Mark.I don't know how to break it to my dogs that Ian will not be in the line up tonight –hence, no Ian Desmond Cookies to dole out. Headed to the park shortly. Maybe they will get some Lombo cookies, instead.

38. Section 222 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I remember someone asked Davey this spring about Espi moving to short and he nixed it then.I remember that too, but then he turned around and gave Espi some time at short during Spring Training. I think @FeelWood is probably right that for one night he won't make the move, but if Desi is hurt for an extended time, he will. But then again, if Lombo stinks up the joint tonight, maybe he'll reconsider that plan. I'm happy to take the risk since the alternative is a good field no hit type like Cora or Blanco, and I'd much rather our utility guy be an offensive weapon as well.

39. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Read these comments about RG3 on Donovan McNabb and his father's being an Eagles fan, and thought how nice it would have been if Bryce Harper said something similar about his "fandom" of the Yankees.Well handled by RG3:“All respect to Donovan McNabb, he had a great career,” Griffin said. “He was one of my dad’s [favorite] quarterbacks when he was a Philly fan. He’s not a Philly fan any more, because I’m about to get drafted…"

40. NatsLady - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Davey seems to make minimal changes. So he keeps Espy at his usual position and plugs Lombo in at SS rather than have two changes in the infield. Same with the lineup. On the radio an ad informing me that Tyler Clippard and the Nats are going to beat the Astros and Ryan Zimmerman is going to beat Josh Johnson and the Marlins. I hope it comes true.

41. Theophilus - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

In case anyone wants to start another food fight — pardon the expression — tonight's weather should be a fairer test of Nats fair-weather fandom.

42. A DC Wonk - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Gonat said… Read these comments about RG3 on Donovan McNabb and his father's being an Eagles fan, and thought how nice it would have been if Bryce Harper said something similar about his "fandom" of the Yankees.Agreed. But remember, Bryce was, what, 17 or so when he said that? Maybe 18. RG3 had a couple of years in college, and is 22.

43. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

DC Wonk, I don't disagree on anything you said. Just think Bryce didn't do himself any favors with his Yankee comments.Glad RG3 quickly moved away from any Eagles fandom. Smart and well said.

44. Steady Eddie - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Huh! Didja see Mark's Tweet on Davey's comment about Lombo at short? "He's adequate."!!! That's an interesting way to get Lombo psyched.But I'd have to say that he's on probation anywhere but second. His arm was routinely inadequate at 3d in ST and I'll be holding my breath on hard shots into the hole. Not doubting that Lombo can get to most of them, but what the throw to first will look like. Here's hoping that he'll rise to the occasion….

45. NatsJack section 235 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Trust me. Davey is being very kind saying "he's adequate".

46. jeffwx - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

If Lombo hits, we can live with his arm. We need to score more than 2-3 runs in most of our games. It's our offense that is most offensive. Pitching/Defense is amongst the best I've ever seen.Can't expect our staff to be near perfect with less than 2.00 ERAs. One more bat….I know that management is looking for ways to improve the offense…Will be interesting to see what happens on/after April 26,

47. Gonat - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM

If Lombo hits, I think Davey has to give him more time at 2nd base and get him some time in LF. He just never looked comfortable at 3rd and just a little better at Short.

48. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Have fun, sjm. Hope that you won't need to change hats for some time. Re. the Virginia driver question, we take Metro, so I don't know. Hope that someone else may have the info.

49. NatsJack section 235 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Edwin coming out for warm ups. Hollered "strike one an tempo" just like I did Saturday.

50. NatsNut - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

SYFNS!!

51. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

FP and Carp positive they changed the team's luck last night when they switched pens. It was an eerie coincidence of timing…

52. natsfan1a - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Yeah, that was an amusing bit about the pens at the end of the broadcast. FP is a funny guy. (I'm funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?)

53. NatsJack section 235 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Just met sjm308…..it's always great meeting fellow Insiders. Still not one neganon though.

54. skidge - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

It was a thrill to say hi to you in Viera, NJ! (Back to lurkdom now…)

55. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Unreal. 1-0 already. Settle down big guy.

56. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Strange. MLB Pitch Track different than MASNs. That 2nd strike to Carlos Lee was almost totally on the black.

57. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Oh noooooooooooo

58. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Nice catch Ramos.

59. Waddu eye no - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Ick

60. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Where is EJax's changeup?

61. Anonymous - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Anonymous said… Nice catch Ramos. April 19, 2012 7:13 PM Have you ever tried to catch a ball with a catcher's mitt stuck in the grass?

62. Mick - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM

oh well, one of those nights. Just hope this is Edwin's worst game , if not then Wang should replace him

63. whatsanattau - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Yikes, this would be the Mr. Hyde performance. Oh well, best to get it out of the way all at once. Team ERA might be over 2.00 now.

64. MicheleS - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I met SJM308 and his son at Justin's cafe. Good times! Its going to be a doozy tonight! 5-0 stros bottom of the first

65. JaneB - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My heart hurts for him.

66. NatsJack section 235 (ex catcher) - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Catching a throw with a catchers mit stuck in the grass????Many times. It's not that hard. Especially if you're getting paid.

67. RickH - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

3 up, 3 down. We needed that,

68. baseballswami - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The Nats have the Astros right where they want them :)

69. RickH - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Welcome back, Mr. Zimmerman!!!

70. NatsLady - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Swami–Apparently!!

71. Steady Eddie - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The Z-man is back!!!

72. A DC Wonk - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Here's something that's different (related to confidence about the Nats) than last year.Last year, down 5-0, a bunch of neg-anons would start posting "I guarantee the Nats can't come back". (Hmmm, come to think of it, I think I recall some such falderal in a few early games of this year, too).Imagine my surprise as I log in, and in between the time it was 5-0, till it was 5-4, not a single post of that sort.That's awesome!

73. baseballswami - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM

What did I tell you?

74. MicheleS - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

JaneBI am in section 134 row MM.

75. baseballswami - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM

DCWonk – my something different from last year is this — even when the crowds at the park are numerically small, I hear loud, enthusiastic cheering. Seems like they are really into it all through the game. The larger crowds really roared!

76. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM

bummer, 1st and 2nd no outs and heart of order gets nothing, I hope we can still come back

77. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Have you noticed that every time the camera shows the pitching staff Gio is talking? I think he is keeping them quite entertained.

78. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I love Gio, every good team has a personality like him. He is going to be a fun player….GD Werth, hit the fing ball!!!!

79. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

glad Edwin settled down, it looks like Norris has too

80. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Fish tomorrow – ugh.

81. Steady Eddie - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Gonna be amazing matchups in LA next week — SS, GG, JZIMM on successive days. We're bringing out our best.

82. NatsJack section 235 but headin back to Fl. - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I love steamin' me some fish.

83. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM

well Gorzo SUCKS tonight, but hey, you gotta sort out who stays and who goes by July

84. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, the role of Joel Gascanrahan tonight is being played by Tom Gorzelanny.

85. Gorzo must go - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Ah, the Gorzo we know and love. He's got nothing tonight, like most nights.

86. baseballswami - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Gorzo= sacrificial goat of the night. Any idea why Jackson didn't stay in? Seemed like he had pulled it together. Certainly would have been better than this steaming pile of turds. Now we still have outs to get and can't burn the whole bullpen.

87. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Nice knowing you Gorzo…now get Bernadina and go play the waiver wire!!!

88. rogieshan - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM

After Gorzelanny's outing tonight, everything is setting up nicely for Wang to return.

89. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I would trade Gorzo now before other teams realize how much he SUCKS

90. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM

EJax had thrown 89 pitches through five. I guess Grandpa thought that was enough. There might've been a lefty-right matchup thing too.Ladies and gents, I'm breaking out the bourbon early tonight. Hold the Maalox. Going neat tonight.

91. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Caught a break there with Shark at first. Is this one too far gone to matter?

92. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Gorzo is GONZO

93. Mick - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Nady swings like lady

94. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I really do prefer 2-1 games…

95. Hmmm... - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Good news:No gorzy tmorrow

96. NatsJack in section 235 - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

And now Davey says "Ryan, show me why you shouldn't be in Syracuse".

97. NatsLady - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Mattheus comes in for the vulture win, right?

98. baseballswami - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Tonight's bullpen — people we don't want to use against the fish.

99. NatsLady - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Why did Davey take Ejax out? First pitching change he's made this year that I didn't understand unless Ejax was not feeling well.

100. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Wang, Storen up = Gorz, Mattheus down?Morse up = Bern down?Im outta town…did Davey take EJax out to pinch hit or double switch?Lipty,

101. NatsJack still in section 235 - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

So Davey figures we can't win 149 in arow and if we have to lose one then lets see who can do what.Gorzo and Mattheus have not done themselves any favors.

102. NatsLady - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

He did a double-switch. Took Ankiel out.

103. NatsLady - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM

If Gorzy passes through waivers Syracuse will have SOME payroll.