Apr 20, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
The new-look Marlins make their first appearance at Nationals Park this year.
Davey Johnson had a somewhat interesting explanation for letting Tom Gorzelanny take a pounding during the sixth inning of last night's lopsided loss to the Astros. "Bullpen's been pretty taxed pretty much all year," the manager said. "It wasn't the case where I was going to throw the kitchen sink at them trying to win that ballgame. I want to go into the division series against Miami without an overburdened pen, so Gorzo kind of had to take it on the chin."
Saving his bullets for a mid-April series against the Marlins? Are these three games this weekend that important to the Nationals? Well, maybe. After enjoying some success against mostly NL Central competition, they get perhaps their first real serious test with Miami in town. The new-look Marlins got off to a rocky start (with Ozzie Guillen's suspension at the top of the list) but they've now won five of six.
So perhaps there is a little bit of pressure on the Nationals to continue their winning ways in a series that will feature some big-time pitching matchups. Ross Detwiler faces Carlos Zambrano tonight. Stephen Strasburg goes up against Anibal Sancehz tomorrow. And Gio Gonzalez meets Josh Johnson in Sunday's finale.
I'm off tonight, but Rich Dubroff will again have you covered on CSNwashington.com. I'll be back at the ballpark tomorrow…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter