Apr 20, 2012, 7:44 PM EST
Associated Press photo
The new-look Marlins make their first appearance at Nationals Park this year.
Davey Johnson had a somewhat interesting explanation for letting Tom Gorzelanny take a pounding during the sixth inning of last night's lopsided loss to the Astros. "Bullpen's been pretty taxed pretty much all year," the manager said. "It wasn't the case where I was going to throw the kitchen sink at them trying to win that ballgame. I want to go into the division series against Miami without an overburdened pen, so Gorzo kind of had to take it on the chin."
Saving his bullets for a mid-April series against the Marlins? Are these three games this weekend that important to the Nationals? Well, maybe. After enjoying some success against mostly NL Central competition, they get perhaps their first real serious test with Miami in town. The new-look Marlins got off to a rocky start (with Ozzie Guillen's suspension at the top of the list) but they've now won five of six.
So perhaps there is a little bit of pressure on the Nationals to continue their winning ways in a series that will feature some big-time pitching matchups. Ross Detwiler faces Carlos Zambrano tonight. Stephen Strasburg goes up against Anibal Sancehz tomorrow. And Gio Gonzalez meets Josh Johnson in Sunday's finale.
I'm off tonight, but Rich Dubroff will again have you covered on CSNwashington.com. I'll be back at the ballpark tomorrow…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon