Game 15: Marlins at Nats

Apr 20, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
The new-look Marlins make their first appearance at Nationals Park this year.

Davey Johnson had a somewhat interesting explanation for letting Tom Gorzelanny take a pounding during the sixth inning of last night's lopsided loss to the Astros. "Bullpen's been pretty taxed pretty much all year," the manager said. "It wasn't the case where I was going to throw the kitchen sink at them trying to win that ballgame. I want to go into the division series against Miami without an overburdened pen, so Gorzo kind of had to take it on the chin."

Saving his bullets for a mid-April series against the Marlins? Are these three games this weekend that important to the Nationals? Well, maybe. After enjoying some success against mostly NL Central competition, they get perhaps their first real serious test with Miami in town. The new-look Marlins got off to a rocky start (with Ozzie Guillen's suspension at the top of the list) but they've now won five of six.

So perhaps there is a little bit of pressure on the Nationals to continue their winning ways in a series that will feature some big-time pitching matchups. Ross Detwiler faces Carlos Zambrano tonight. Stephen Strasburg goes up against Anibal Sancehz tomorrow. And Gio Gonzalez meets Josh Johnson in Sunday's finale.

I'm off tonight, but Rich Dubroff will again have you covered on CSNwashington.com. I'll be back at the ballpark tomorrow…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Adam LaRoche

1. NatsBrat - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm gonna wait for Ozzie outside the visitors' club house and have him sign a picture of Fidel Castro.

2. The Jefferson Suite of my La-Z-Boy - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Too bad we catch Zambrano on his first night in town. Reputed to be something of a "bon vivant" who might wet his whistle at some tony Georgetown watering holes after the game.

3. Tcostant - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I see 5 runs for Nats tonight in a win.

4. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The Jefferson Suite of my La-Z-BoyNow that's funny. That is all.

5. joNAThan - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Austin Kearns in LF. Nuff said. Nats win series.

6. sjm308 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I heard that quote from Davey and still wonder back to what Erik and others wrote. If he was trying to save his bullpen, why didn't he leave Edwin in since he had retired 11 out of 12 batters after the 1st inning? I like Davey but sometimes the things he says don't match up with his actions. Instead of leaving Gorzo in he ended up throwing Burnett and Mattheus as well. How is that not using up your bullpen? I realize we have Stammen,Clip, Lidge and HRod with a day off but using 3 relievers is not saving bullets.

7. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Be prepared—Nats can never beat the Marlins.

8. sjm308 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Look who is starting in LF for the fish.

9. Gonat - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Its a new day! Go Nats!

10. Section 222 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I agree with sjm308. Davey sometimes engages in some post hoc rationalization, and this time it didn't really line up with what he did in the game. Gorzo taking it on the chin and saving the pen explains pretty well leaving him in for a second inning after the disastrous sixth. But it doesn't explain why he put him in in the first place instead of letting Jackson go another inning. Nor does it explain why he also used Burnett and Mattheus. Must have been the pollen. I was hoping never to see the name Austin Kearns again, but at least he's in an opponent's lineup, not ours.

11. sjm308 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM

So who has the worst defensive left fielder tonight?

12. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM

sjm, the general idea was to bring a long guy, viz. Gorzelanny, in, to cover several innings. It did kind of backfire, in that he gave up pretty much everything as soon as he got in, but by that time, the damage was mostly done. Not how Davey drew it up, but if he brings somebody else in right away, they would have to have been warming up already (wasn't watching last night, but I suspect they were not getting loose just in case, when Gorzelanny first came in), and since he didn't want to burn BOTH Gorzelanny and Stammen with the Marlins (who always give the Nats trouble) coming in, he would have brought in a series of short guys, not just Mattheus and Burnett, and even then, if that worked, now he's still losing in a close game, and if they stay close or tie it, he has to use one or two more. So the logic was to have Gorzo keep the game close, and if he didn't, screw it and go get the Marlins tomorrow. Not endorsing it, just my best guess as to what he was thinking.

13. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

14. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Well When I write the book about how the Nats had their first winning season in many years, I won't remember Austin Kearns in Left or the Cat at third,Caus as I walk thru the Center Field gate, searching for Lombo in the lineup of Davey Johnson, I won't ask myself if all hope's lost. where is out bench and who's in the bullpen and and where is Bryce Harper sweet Bryce Harper…and each time I feel that our lead in the East is slippin away….There's one thing I want to know What's so funny about Zim, Lidge and Stephen StrasburgStephen Strasburg Brother, Steven Starsburg, SisterBorrowed from Nick Lowe and Elvis (Costello).

15. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

To understand the DJ show, you don't let the enemy know what you are really thinking…More Nick Lowe baby :All baseball men, all baseball men are liers.Their words aren't worth more than worn out plyers.Well do you remember Dick Bowden, he said I'm never gonna let you up or send you down. I'm here to tell you that Dick's a clown.All baseball men are liers and that's the truth.

16. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

So Gorzo threw 46 pitches in 2 innings. Maybe that's about as far as he gets used, even in a mopup game.

17. and Who The Heck is "Dick" Bowden? - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Pliars, not "plyers".

18. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

As for not leaving Jackson in: Gorzelanny was supposed to do better. He does, and this question doesn't get asked.Edwin had reached Davey's quoted maximum of 90 pitches. He lets them go over that in certain situations and last night wasn't one of them. Meh, the B-squad of the bullpen didn't get the job done last night. Mattheus has not looked like the Mattheus of 2011 as Davey mentioned. Clippard does not even look close to the Clippard of 2011 and he is on the A squad. HRod is the only bullpen pitcher who looks better than last year … Stammen has looked just about the same … pretty effective. I don't mind it as long as they don't give free passes which they didn't. The hitters had to work for to get those runs.

19. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think the actual line was their words aren't worth more than worn out tiresandFans pull the tooth with worn out Pliersand I'm here to tell you that Jim's a clown…. the weather is good, the weekend looks like a washout…so let's enjoy today for tomorrow, we get wet.Sorry to "What the Heck happened to Schneck" (Former Mets outfielder: Dave Schneck)

20. sjm308 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sofa (of many variations!!) I am not upset that Davey used Gorzo, I just don't understand why. EJ had really settled in and allowed just one baserunner in his last 4 innings. He was throwing strikes and was under 90 pitches. Then for Davey to say he wanted to "save" the pen just doesn't make sense. You save the pen by not using any of them until its necessary. In my opinion it just wasn't necessary and of course it blew up as well. If Gorzo throws to scoreless innings and its his time to bat I can see a pinch hitter but since we were down by 6 or 7 at that time, I would have just let him bat and that would "save" the pen. Davey let Mattheus bat with runners on base in a tie game when he had Danny and others in the dugout. Sometimes I just don't get it but I am thrilled with the results.Go Nats!!

21. Don Draper replaces Dick Clark; women swoon, Mayans freak - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Got to step out to smoke a cigarette …First I gotta tell ya. LF Nady is about to read LF Moore.

22. skidge - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

(Off topic, I'm seeing Nick Lowe at the Birchmere on April 30.)

23. Young Pitchers - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

is it a good idea if i left my extra ticket tonight at Will Call for 'Brian Zuckerman' for a fellow insider to use?or try selling it to the scalpers?

24. Young Pitchers - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

or do they actually check your ID?

25. sm13 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The good news is we're guaranteed not to have to see Gorzo tonight.

26. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

YP…where's your tix, I'm interested.Skidge, got any extra tix for Nick….Cause, his song The Beast in Left should be the Nats team song for the Beast when he returns. " The Beast in Left is caged by frail and fragile bones, restless by day and by night hits and rakes against the stars… The Beast in Left has had to learn to live in pain, and shelter from the rain but with a bean ball too far in, might have to be restrained. Sometimes he tries to kid them he's just a teddy bear, but that is when the pitcher ought to beware…They've seen him hit 'em out in New York or near here.God help the Beast in Left.

27. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Awww, I always liked Kearns.

28. Young Pitchers - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

it's in sec 210 row e i think

29. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM

That aside – Go, NATS!!

30. skidge - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

jeffwx, it looks like tickets are still available. Maybe I'll try to request the Morse song. :)

31. m20832 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The Nats were 14 games into a 162 game season. How the heck is the bullpen "used" up? They have been pitching one friggin' inning a piece for the most part. And to not try and win a game because of division rival coming into town? That's just UFB to me! So they won the series, the last game doesn't mean squat?But they are still 10-4.GYFNG!!!

32. Section 222 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

m20832 has a point. Yes, we've had some games that have gone into extra innings, but the starters have been fantastic, many going into the 7th inning and EJax pitching a complete game last Saturday. You really can't ask much more from themm The bullpen's going to be taxed like this all year long. Hopefully they can handle it.I think what was really going on was that he took out E-Jax after 5 because he figured he had dodged a bullet with no runs being scored since the 1st, we had come back to 5-4, Gorzo was rested, and the batting order lined up so that a double switch would allow him to pitch 2 or 3 innings without having to use a pinch hitter. So hopefully we come back and Gorzo gets us to the 9th and only one other reliever is needed, at most two. Once Gorzo blew up, DJ pretty much conceded the game, deciding he didn't want to use a bunch of other relievers. So he sent Gorzo back for another inning to "take it on the chin." But his pitch count was too high to send him out for the 8th, hence Burnett and Mattheus. So it was an evolving plan based on what happened on the field, not some master decision early on not to save the bullpen for the Fish. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

33. FS - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

time to prove to all critics that last two weeks weren't fluke or just easy schedule. We are for real. GYFNG!

34. FS - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

off-topic: saw Cabin in the woods last night. Interesting movie.

35. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

You nailed it section 222.Made it home in 11 hrs. 52 minutes door to door. Great seeing MicheleS, Another Sam and sjm308 this trip. Should be back for a weekend in June but it's still in the planning stage.OK….lets broil some fish

36. sm13 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

222 – I agree. I also think Davey sees the Fish series as important. I see, for example, that he's starting Flo tonight to try to slow down the Marlins' running game, which has been very successful so far.

37. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Great Skidge…see you at the Birchmere…Get Well Beast

38. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Awww, I always liked Kearns.I still do … but Bowden extended, then over paid him assuming he would become the Nats right/ center fielder in near-term perpetuity. He had that thumb injury that required surgery once that was repaired his hitting came around. But, by then it seems it was too late for the guy. Could have been a nice piece in a different Nats universe such as today's.

39. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Have to agree with 222. Not a bad outing for still very early (Its still April for f**cks sake (as the Brits would say) people?) NO WALKS, still in first place. They've got to get to June all in one piece and hopefully still in first place because that's when they meet the beasts from the AL East plus some contenders in the NL.

40. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Still no posts on Anthony Rendon's surgery. Here's a prospect who truly is a Harper and Strasburg level prospect? What gives?

41. Frediemac - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM

If there was a ever a time where we need to kick some tail it's tonight and this weekend.It is one Miami!

42. DCJohn - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

This is it. The start of the actual season. The past two have been an extended Spring Training, only the games counted. This is the series that proves if this team is for real. The Marlins haven't trounched us in the past, they just beat us. And they are coming in here, thinking that they can do it again. Go get'em Ross. Go Nats. I will be on pins and needles the whole weekend

43. MicheleS - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Nice first inning by Ross! Cookies for everyone!

44. Another_Sam - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

NatsJack — glad you guys made it back safely. Great fun watching with you guys. Thank you. See you next time.

45. jeffwx - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Cookies…where

46. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Big Z = No Hitter

47. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Mark my words … if Tyler Moore hits 10 home runs by the end of April you'll see him in the lineup sometime soon after May 1st.

48. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

And for those who are keeping track … MASN is wrong … Tyler Moore now has SIX home runs.

49. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Tyler Moore 2-run dinger in the 1st. Get him up here for tomorrow's game!!!

50. Les in NC - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

there goes Zambrano's no hitter…

51. NatsFan05 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Nice, Rick saves a run and hits a home run.Go Nats!

52. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Big Z = 1 Hitter

53. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Anonymous said…Big Z = No HitterApril 20, 2012 7:21 PMThere goes the no-hitter Marlin cum Orioles fan.

54. Gonat - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Its the Ankiel Show and we're all invited.

55. Gonat - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Anonymous said… Tyler Moore 2-run dinger in the 1st. Get him up here for tomorrow's game!!! April 20, 2012 7:48 PM __________________________________________El hombre es en fuego. Get 'em while he's HOT!Question is, who would you send down?

56. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

If all stays healthy, the Nats will be improving quite a bit by the time the humidity gets from the hot South winds off the Potomac (Moore, Morse, Harper, Storen, Wang…)…Could replace DaRosa, Nady, Bernadina, ??, ?? thru DFA, to minors, trades. Predict Lannan, Gorz, Bernadina as part of trade by June to Boston, Tampa, team in AL East to make room for Wang, Storen, Morse, Moore (DaR. DFA). Noone likes change but given all that's knockin on the door,don't think the nats will have a choice.Impressive what TM is doing in the cool weather.

57. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Wait, Ross is out after only 6thing innings? Bummer

58. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

WTF is Davey thinking??? This is absurd.

59. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Predict Lannan, Gorz, Bernadina as part of trade by June to Boston, Tampa, team in AL East to make room for Wang, Storen, Morse, Moore (DaR. DFA). Noone likes change but given all that's knockin on the door,don't think the nats will have a choice.Still think this is silliness. Gorzelanny is the ONLY other left-handed reliever other than Burnett. He is also a back up starter. Bernadina isn't going to be traded the way he is hitting. Finally, Lannan is there in case of injury. Drew Storen isn't going to be back until after the AllStar break and a good bit beyond. He still has to go through rehab do the minor league games deal for 30-days. Wang probably can't start 20-23 games. HE HASN'T PITCHED AT ALL in over FOUR YEARS? Much less pitched regular starts in a rotation? The Nats have to be looking at him as a Strasburg replacement at Stras shutdown time. That would give Wang a pretty good run without over taxiing him …Don't believe Wang could be overtaxed? Remember that Cubs pitcher that used to be a closer? Jeff Samardzija? The guy who made the Nats look silly with his almost 100 mph fast ball and went well over 100 pitches? Guess what? He's pitched far worse than Gorzelanny the past 2 starts as a result. Stupid Cubs manager who ought to be a fan or in the minors like Riggleman. Stop being silly …

60. Naturalist - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

What was that all about? Surely Detwiler had another inning, if not two, in him. He could have struck out for himself and…. saved… the… bullpen!

61. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Big bummer, only 79 pitches. Nice performance by Ross tonight.

62. FS - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

63. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Detwiler 79 pitches? Makes sense … Detwiler they didn't stretch Detwiler out the way they did the other starters … Johnson is being cautious. Can't disagree with that … injuries do happen see Storen, Drew. And not that I like saying it but thanks to Jim Riggleman I fear Tyler Clippard could be joining him.

64. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

hmmmm….only 79 pitches for RD, 7 Ks,1 bb….super weird

65. Gonat - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Ross went from nibbling in the 2nd inning to full attack mode in the 3rd to 6th innings. Very impressive.

66. Steady Eddie - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

MicheleS, I agree but I see Davey's rationale in that he got few ST starts and is still getting stretched out. Still, would have liked to see him for one more inning. He did throw 81 pitches in his last start but maybe didn't want to take him out in the middle of an inning — let him leave on a high note.

67. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

OK FP makes a point…RD didn't pitch much in ST….they're still building him up..

68. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

building up his strength? I have no idea why RD was taken out but I am sure perfectly logical explanation there.Again, with the silliness. Two words: Jeff Samardzija. Want two more? Tom Gorzelanny 2007 Pirates abused as no pitcher should be by Rockies Manager Jim Tracy when he was there.Stop the silliness …

69. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Stammen is a Stud! Go Nats!

70. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Stop the anonymity !!!Name thyself

71. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

72. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Still, would have liked to see him for one more inning.If he keeps pitching like this? You will for sure … count on it. He'll get his 33 starts if he doesn't get injured. People think Wang is going to replace Detwiler and they'll send him back to the bullpen? Hahahahahaahahahaha.Its still early. The Nats are trying to juggle some balls … Strasburg's eventual shutdown. Injuries. A one year contract for the #4 starter Jackson? CM Wang? Let's face it Detwiler looks poised to move up to #4 and he's under team control for the long haul. Right now I'd predict Rosenbaum, Stammen and Gorzelanny compete for the #5 spot next year come August.It all depends on whether the Nats are in competition for the playoffs. And even then they aren't going to mortgage their future for a one-time run. Who would the trade pieces be then? Wang, Jackson, Lannan, and perhaps LaRoche all on 1 year (LaRoche does have a 10 million option they might exercise.) contract.

73. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Is Derosa the backup 3B? I have a feeling that Zim's ankle will be really sore and swollen tomorrow.

74. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM

As Lloyd Christmas would say…anon is the guy with the rapist wit (or rapier as he would call it)…lol

75. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I wish I had something better to do on a Friday night than blog on natsinsider. Thanks for being there for us lonely single guys.

76. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Jeff Samardizija was a starter for most of his career. His pitch count is not why he is getting hit…you are one stupid baseball fan anon 8:40, 8:38, 8:35. You think you are a doctor, but really you are just "chicken little."I don't know clown why is that FP keeps bringing it up numb nuts? Is he stupid too? Gee Let's see if the moronic poster is right? OH MY what an imbecile?2008 26 ganes NO STARTS.2009 20 games 2 starts,2010 7 games 3 starts.2011 75 games 0 starts.I love moronic anonymii … :)

77. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM

78. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

JohnKruk is tweeting with amanda. He really likes Ross. Says lefties will be needed in the East.

79. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

i'm confused…which anon is the moron ?

80. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Thank God, that may have been the game right there..

81. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Which anon is not the moron?

82. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You should check the minors rapier…86 starts in 4 years…you must love yourself moron anonymous!!!Gee moron? The last time he started in a rotation was Before the last time Wang started a game? That's SIX YEARS? Moron.

83. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM

HRod will be the fifth starter next year. Average mph for starters will be 96. How awesome would that be: Stras, Gio, JZim, Det, MPHRod. Pretty frickin bueno. DEM

84. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM

85. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

If that's the eighth inning, what's the ninth going to be like with MPH Rod?Barkeep, bourbon and Maalox all around for my friends. Lots of bourbon. Lots of Maalox.

86. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM

SunshineIs it Lidge's turn to close? If so, make mine a triple!

87. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

If we win, Ankiel is in line for a curly W

88. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Nope its MPHRod! I will still take a triple of the bourbon and Maalox

89. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM

What's so funny about Beast, Lidge and Stephen Strasburg… (to the Elvis Costello tune of similar name)

90. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Rick swimming into 2nd and now on third. What a night for him.

91. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Did you hear the one about the big moron and the baby moron? The big moron took the baby moron to the park where they got on the teeter totter. After a couple of minutes, the big moron fell off. Know why? Because the baby was a little moron.The intellectual level of Orioles fans who post here never ceases to amaze me! Drinking all of the sludge from the Inner Harbor can't be good for you.

92. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

The intellectual level of Orioles fans who post here never ceases to amaze me! Drinking all of the sludge from the Inner Harbor can't be good for you.Come on. I made you laugh, didn't I?

93. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Keep in mind Lidge is coming off of a shoulder just like Wang … and when Storen comes back … he'll have to be treated carefully and brought back slowly.

94. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Come on. I made you laugh, didn't I?Nope, just silly like the other posts.

95. Spanky, alfalfa & morons - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM

"oh yeah?""yeah!""oh yeah?""yeah!""oh yeah?""yeah!""oh yeah?""yeah!"

96. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

OTAY….It's Whiskey river time.

97. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Way too many anons -I am going with a nice Port but have had two refills with the way things are going Pretty surenAnkiel would have been out at 3 rd with a good throw but I will take itHere comes HRod

98. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM

11 and 4, GYFNG!What a game!

99. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Ankiel…Superman ?Mohammed Ali once told a stewardess when asked to buckle his seatbelt"Superman don't need no seatbelt" to which she replied "Superman don't need no airplane neither"

100. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Jeff Samardzija (SP) from 2006-2010 started 86 of 112 games he pitched. He was at Notre Dame 6 years ago and I am pretty sure 86 starts would mean that you are part of a rotation. Just a hunch.

101. Mick - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I'm changing my name to Fred G Sanford….. every game its the big one Elizabeth!

102. Just wonderin' - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Have the Nats considered a sponsorship tie-in with a blood pressure medication?

103. Steady Eddie - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

sjm308–True re Ankiel and 3rd — but making that throw from the position Cishek was in would have been a challenge. I think he quickly visualized himself throwing into foul territory down the LF line. Prudent to take the sure out and then trust your pitching with 2 outs.

104. Mick - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM

HRod dont have it… take him out Davey, now

105. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM

H-Rod is going to blow this game.

106. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Well…it was in the vicinity

107. Mick G Sanford - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM

how many pitches in tne dirt is Davey waiting for

108. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM

That was ball four.

109. Mick G Sanford - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Hrod will throw a wild ball, just wait

110. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM

SJM tawny or ruby. I have a white open.

111. Mick G Sanford - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:36 AM

its the big one!!

112. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:36 AM

anybody up in the pen ?

113. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Jeez..when this season started I had hair

114. dj in Fl - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:37 AM

According to the Marlin announcers, Cishek had problems throwing the ball to bases last year. Probably went the safe route.

115. Mick G Sanford - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Umpire you SUCK

116. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This guy has no business being a closer.

117. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM

WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!

118. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Amazin…Amazin…AmazinWe beat the Fish!!!

119. Mick G Sanford - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM

ha ha time to get the ripple out and party with Grady, Bubba and even ugly old Aunt Esther, lol

120. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM

That's another bang zoom!

121. UnkyD - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM

MPH…… Spraying it all over, but he never gets hit hard….. It must suck to bat against him…. GYFNG!!!

122. Mick Kramden - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM

one of these days anon, bang zoom, lol

123. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM

11-4!!!"WOO HOOOOO!!" (Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).

124. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM

oh boy..someone's gonna get wet

125. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM

11 and 4, GYFNG!What a game! Called it too early. Haha…Need a beer to calm down…

126. TimDz - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Meet the new boss…(NOT THE) same as the the old boss…

127. Cwj - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Marlins couldn't touch Henry.He was wild, but also un-hittable.Go Nats!!

128. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM

It must suck to go against this pitching staff with so many great pitchers (look at tonight…Detwiler, then strike em out Stammen, then high hard ones Clippard, then Heartbeat Heat Henry) in one game or one series….phenomonal

129. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Tim, Who said that ?

130. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM

First course of Fried Fish was delicious! And i will have another serving tomorrow!

131. NatsFan05 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I have the same MS….

132. TimDz - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM

jeffwx….Old "Who" song…"Won't be fooled again"Kinda fits for this season, no?

133. Hmmm... - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:53 AM

One game at a time and they start adding up

134. TimDz - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM

(repeat comment from two days ago)Love. This. Team.

135. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Nats pitching stats so far are crazy…as good as the billion dollar philly staff (2nd lowest ERA, WHIP, 1st in batting average against), have given up 2 HRS…next closest team Phillys/Pirates with 7Redsox have given up 23

136. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Tim,,,,yeah a bad pun that's why I asked Who said thatMaybe a little Baba O'Reilly later…Out in the Outfields…Rick slows down the wheels…and puts his bat into his hitting oh yeah

137. RickH - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Cardiac Nats! GYFNG!!!

138. TimDz - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:03 AM

jeffwx…completely missed that…Plus one to you sir….

139. Drew - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Our fifth starter has an ERA of 0.56 and Strasburg and Gio are up next.GYFNG!!!

140. natsfan1a - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Ahh, there's nothing like a Fish fry to top off the evening. That'll do, Nats.

141. bdrube - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Is it too early to imagine the Nats having FOUR young gun front line starters for the next four years? Ross is finally starting to live up to his first round talent. Glad to see as I've liked him ever since I saw him pitch at Potomac late that same year he was drafted. :)

142. jeffwx - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Just too much fun….thank you all and to all a good night

143. TimDs - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM

bdrube….there is definately scary potential for the next few years….just imagine if some bats develop and/or come around….

144. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I love Jesus' emotion behind the plate, that was awesome when Clip got that last strikeout…

145. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:41 AM

First – MichelleS – it was a lovely Ruby although I am fine with the Tawny as wellNow, to the Anons – from the first posts predicting a loss to the later ones at 9:32 and what ever. Why don't you have the guts to at least make a name up if you are going to be so negative. If you were ever right (which is rare) you could at least then take credit. As it is, you look like losers which is NOT what the Nationals were tonight. Go ahead and root against the home team if that makes you a feel better but I think you might realize it is so much fun to have a positive outlook if you would just try. 11-4 neganons, first place and another shutout!! Go Nats

146. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM

How scary would Henry be with vertigo?

147. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I personally think Anon submissions should be disabled & that each user account should require an associated verified email address to make it more difficult to post trolling or inflammatory material. Having said that, I've never posted a negative thing here and will continue to use the Anon function as long as it's available due to its ease & convenience.-Jim

148. bdrube - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM

@realdealnats – If Henry had vertigo, the other team would forfeit because the batters would be too scared to emerge from the dugout! :)

149. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM

timDz – saw Townshend & Daltrey a couple of years ago at Verizon. Brought back great memories of Woodstock etc. Ringo's son was the drummer. Not sure who referenced Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe but this is getting to be fun in so many different ways!! Saw Nick Lowe and the Bad Seed years ago when there were all kinds of nasty smoky things going around. Its just craft beer and fine wine now but the big difference is we have a WINNING Baseball team.go Nats!!

150. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Jim, as long as you sign off after starting with Anon I have no problems – there are several others that do that and I appreciate most comments. Its just the flat "nationals will never beat the Marlins" or "Hrod is going to blow it" etc that drive me crazy. Sofa can say HRod is going to blow it or any of the others but coming from an anon its just a cheap shot. Rant over. Can't wait for tomorrow!!

151. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:04 AM

bdrube–that's right, not even the dugout would be safe! Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

152. Scott from burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I think that's nick cave and the bad seeds..totally different vibe…saw nick cave at 930…very strong ..lots of passion..his song do you love me will take the enamel off you're teeth…great win tonight

153. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Levon Helm RIP

154. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Why does every one can't stand Burnett or am I wrong I'm new to this Thank you

155. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Damn, thats what lots of wine/port will do. You are right Scott and I listened to lots of The Band today as well.Anon, I had Burnett autograph a ball two years ago and he was quite polite and happy to be here. I root for him all the time but lots here are impatient. He has not given up a run this year and had a strong ending to last year as well. I guess the jury is still out but I think he is a plus for our pen.

156. Priest Kristoph - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Just got back from the game! First time at the Park, brought 7 people with me to show them the light of Natitude! What a night, what a game, what an awesome win!Go Nats!

157. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Sofa can say HRod is going to blow itOK, for the record, I would never make that particular kind of stupid comment. I don't do that. Other things, maybe, but not that. Honestly, I'm glad I was out last night, the in-game thread is getting really flushed. Great game, though.And I like Warre's, but the Sandeman logo is perfect.

158. natsfan1a - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

No worries, sofa, we all know your m.o. here. Agreed re. game thread trends, although difficult to tell whether that was two Anons arguing or some sort of sock puppet theater.

159. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM

It's a Turing test, 1a. If I can't tell them apart, then they are the same.

160. natsfan1a - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Turing test, eh? Thanks for teaching me yet another new concept. :-)

161. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Be careful with that one–it can take up years and years of your life.