Apr 20, 2012, 2:13 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson was torched for five runs in the top of the first inning.
Game in a nutshell: So much for the tried-and-true format of great pitching and a couple of late hits. Edwin Jackson put the Nationals in a 5-0 hole in the top of the first, but his teammates nearly bailed him out. Ryan Zimmerman's three-run homer in the third cut the lead to 5-4 and gave the home club some hope. But the Astros piled on Tom Gorzelanny during a five-run sixth, turning this game into a rout and denying the Nats a shot at their first-ever four-game sweep.
Hitting highlight: It didn't count for much in the end, but Zimmerman's three-run bomb in the bottom of the third was the latest sign that the Face of the Franchise's bat is starting to come around. Zimmerman already had five hits in his last 11 at-bats entering this game. He had hit several balls hard over the last two weeks, but that blast into the left-field bullpen was his first home runs of the season.
Pitching lowlight: Take your pick: Edwin Jackson or Tom Gorzelanny? At least Jackson rebounded from his five-run first inning to keep theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence