Game 16: Marlins at Nats

Apr 21, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg makes his fourth start of the season today, facing the Marlins.

The Nationals own the second-best record in the National League. They lead the NL East. They've gone 7-2 on their first homestand of the season. And today they'll have Chad Tracy hitting cleanup.

Wait, what? Chad Tracy hitting cleanup? Yes, believe it. Davey Johnson has been wanting to give the veteran a start at some point, but he really only plays first or third base. So the manager is giving Adam LaRoche a breather this afternoon and using Tracy in his place. (FYI: Ryan Zimmerman is expected to get tomorrow's series finale off, and Tracy could get another start in his place, unless Davey decides to go with Steve Lombardozzi.)

The Nationals certainly hope they don't need a ton of offense today, not with Stephen Strasburg on the mound. This actually will be Strasburg's fifth career start against the Marlins. He hasn't faced any other club more than twice.

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon for baseball … for now. There's a big storm approaching from the south, but it's not expected to hit us until late in the afternoon. So we should be good today. Tomorrow will be another story. Plenty of updates to come…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Storms late, 75 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to LF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman Mark DeRosa
1B Chad Tracy

1. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM

For all of you out-of-towners, Nats/Marlins is the free game on MLB.tv today.

2. m20832 - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM

All I can say is: Fry those fish SS!!!GYFNG!!!

3. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Smart move by Johnson. Put Tracy in when Strasburg is pitching. Not sure I would put him at third with Gio though …

4. Craig - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Looks like Gaby Sanchez is going to be pretty busy.

5. Kevin Rusch, Section 406 - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Mark, aren't you off duty? QUIT POSTING! LET THE MINIONS HANDLE IT!!!!Seriously, man. I hate to think you're overworking yourself here.

6. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Mark, aren't you off duty? QUIT POSTING! LET THE MINIONS HANDLE IT!!!!Per previous posts which I guess you didn't bother to read? He is back today.

7. natsfan1a - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Go, SS! Go, NATS!! Filet 'em and fry 'em up. :-)

8. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Flores is sick? Do we have a backup to the backup? Ramos, be careful, Dude!

9. Nats in Athens - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I think today's game is the most important one yet. If we win we get our first series win again what everyone can accept as a legitimately good team. We get to leave on our West coast trip on a high note. And, most important to me, we can win a series against the one team in our division that we have never had much luck against.

10. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

hot damn!first chance to move the tv outside. gyfng

11. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

waddu eye no — are you going to the game tomorrow? Are we going to try to get some musicians/singers together for a NI group?

12. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

This site ranks the days' starting pitchers. How you like SS ranking #3 above Verlander? And tomorrow, Gio is ranked #1.ESPN Fantasy Noteshttp://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/dailynotes?page=mlbnotes120421

13. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Swami, where does it say Flores is sick? Did I miss something (again)?

14. The Great Unwashed - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Speaking of ESPN, they're finally showing the Nats some love. It's the lead story in the carousel (finally!): http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7834237/washington-nationals-quality-young-arms

15. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM

More Nats love from ESPN on Detwiler vs. Lannan (they're eating some Rizzo crow)./nats-making-all-the-right-moveshttp://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/23274/nats-making-all-the-right-moves

16. skidge - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Sofa, Flores tweeted earlier today: "I'm not feeling well. Mode #Sick : ("

17. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM

nats lady – no reply from the nats entertainment guy yet. with end of semester coming, and just finishing a gig last week, will wait a few weeks before i pester him in earnest.but i will. gyfng

18. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Thanks, skidge

19. Les in NC - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

NatsLady, how do I found out if I am in the MLB.TV blackout zone for the Nationals or not (other than the screen saying so when you want to watch the game). I was hoping to buy it this season but if I am blacked out I won't be.

20. Smatt1001 - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

so Zim is no longer in the line up….Hope he's ok.

21. RickH - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Les,I was either at Greenville or Greensboro last year and was distressed to find out it was blacked out. Ridiculous!

22. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Why zimm Cancelle

23. Les in NC - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

RickH, I was able to find out last year where the blackout zone was, but I can't seem to find it this season… at any rate the zone was everything east of I-77 ( I am west).

24. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

No Zim or LaRoche against Sanches and the backup catcher tweets he is sick. Ok – time to pull a rabbit out of a hat, Nats. At least Stanton is not in the line up – and well, it is Strassie for us.

25. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

les in nc – i'm pretty sure there's a way to determine that on their site. it's a ripoff as we all know – the blackouts i mean. the mlv.tv and the mlb at bat app are both really good.

26. Les in NC - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I should be in the Atlanta/Cincinnati blackout zone (which is fine with me).

27. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

1:17, FP speculated Zim is sitting today because he fouled a ball off his ankle yesterday.

28. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

OUCH. HP Umpire just took a 97 mph fastball right in the crotch. The entire male viewing population just winced in sympathy.

29. Les in NC - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I would have liked to wince, but I can't see it…..

30. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Umpires wear a cup, right? Still…..

31. Navy Nats Fan - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Believe me, Les – you didn't want to see it. Reply showed that Ramos' glove hit the bat (should have been catcher's interference) which made him miss the pitch, it went pretty much straight into the ump. Call was a foul tip – Nats got a huge break.

32. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I think it was fouled, from the replay, but I think FP is right, also, that Ramos's glove was tipped, which should have put the batter on first.

33. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Does anyone know where Charlie and Dave are on the radio today. AM 1500 is running federal news crap. And the Nats' FM "flagship" doesn't appear to be cracking the greater Bethesda air space.Please help. Otherwise I might be tempted to turn up the sound and listen to Sunshine Bobby (the announcer, not the blogger).

34. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

OOOh, on the replay after Ramos threw out Morrison at second, Ramos ran off the field shaking his glove hand and looking at it. That was definitely interference. Missed call goes the Nats's way.

35. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

@Sunshine Bobby: "Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 183"From Mark's post above

36. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

If you go to this page (below), scroll towards the bottom there is a green button that says click here and a popup will show you what teams are blacked out for you.MLB subscriptionshttp://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?&c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU

37. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Sunshine–I'm in Silver Spring and DC101 is overpowering 106.7, and 1580 is…is…two people talking to each other and laughing vacuously at things that aren't funny. Might have to hit a bar to watch Stras put us on his back and carry us through w/o Zim, and LaRoche, and with Flores sick.

38. hmmm... - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM

our flagship is full of holes. we, and charlie and dave, deserve better.

39. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Sorry if my answers are sporadic–students, y'know. Sometimes they actually show up for their lesson.

40. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

and from what I hear, maybe without the starting HP Umpire…

41. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Zim shoulder issues…and the dark clouds are rolling in

42. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM

great play by the pitcher..barehanded snag and gets throw off..he deserved error because throw was bad but 1B should have come up with it..jp arguing no error…understandable but he fielded it cleanly..once that happened he should have made a better throw..still a heck of a plat

43. JaneB - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Zimm was warming up before the game, are there any tea leaves we can read into that?

44. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Shameless Rumor-Mongering Dept:Marlon Byrd trade rumors are heating up–to Boston?

45. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM

was he throwing? testing his shoulderrunning? testing his anklethis ain't (always) rocket science

46. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

from MLB Trade Rumors

47. NatsLady - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

FP is a funny guy. Talking about strategy for when the pitcher is on deck, says, "pitching around" [the no. 8 hitter] is not in Strasburg's vocabulary.

48. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

FP is NOT a funny guy to anyone except FP…listening to him is a chore…bad annoue ncing team…otoh the radio guys are fantastic

49. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

THanks, Section 3, realdealnats and hmmm. I thought it was just me. When/if anybody complains about home attendance, just remind them that the team brings it on themselves. Except for house ads on MASN, this team does no relevant advertising and Class A teams have better home radio signals. Really bush.Although, to be honest, I actually enjoyed Sunshine's and FP's intv. with La Russa. I'm heading out for a drive, maybe the car radio will reel in Charlie and Dave…Thanks, all for the 411.

50. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I like FP. Knowledgeable, interesting, positive but doesn't mind saying when something is wrong. And he is funny.

51. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Seriously, Scott? I love FP. He was great doing the Giants games out here and I was really glad to see him go to the Nats. Much like Gio, a Bay area favorite that made the right move.

52. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think FP is fantastic and I also think he has made Carp better with their chemistry.

53. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM

LaRoche would have made that play…but everyone needs a day off, I guess.

54. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

LaRoche absolutely would have had that, but oh, well. As SFNats said, you can't expect him to play every inning.

55. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I prefer a guy who talks about baseball, not trying out his comedy shtick…people keep hiring Katherine Heigl to make movies so somebody likes it…those Marlins are a speedy bunch..

56. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Actually, Tracy is listed at 6' 1". Michael Morse is 6'5", he probably has that, too.

57. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Scott watch the replay of the Strasburg debut and you will hear Dibble. And you will hear why some of us really like FP.The home plate ump is taking a beating today.

58. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Hey, somebody tell Ramirez to tuck in his pocket.

59. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

That's a tough walk on Ramirez, since Stras struck him out at least once in that AB.

60. Just wonderin' - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

What is the crud on Ramirez's batting helmet? Pine tar? Tobacco juice residue? Andromeda strain?

61. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Dibble was horrendous..if those are my choices I would take FP…but if a third option were the radio guys or Sean McDonough (the best announcer in sports), I'll take door #3

62. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

necklaces all over the place..pockets out…batting helmet coated with garbage..manager loves a dictator…ladies and gents it's your Florida Ma…umm Miami Marlins

63. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

SF Nats, yes he did, but then, he walked him on that first K, too.

64. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

While watching some of the Nats classics on masn during the off season I absolutely hated listening to Dibble. I almost had to mute. I love Charlie and Dave, too! Re: the game on the field — we need hits :(

65. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

OK, THAT was outside to Roger, by about four inches, according to PitchTrak.

66. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

IAN

67. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

DESI!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!

68. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

True, Section 3. And Stras pitched out of it, so it's all good.SHARK! Need to keep that up with Moore looming.

69. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

SURFACE! SURFACE! I am liking this "sample size" all right.

70. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Sorry, Desi. Shark needs to step it up with Moore looming.

71. UnkyD - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Desmond's gotta go…. DFA…. I can't stand another AB… He'll never be a MLB SS…. Trade him for Guzman…..

72. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

So glad DeRosa got that hit.

73. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

LaRusa was on here a while ago talking about how much he loves watching Desi play and how he's just going to get better and better. It's what we've heard before, but people in the game with a lot of baseball knowledge have always thought very highly of Ian, and he's starting to show why.

74. rogieshan - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Davey Johnson may not be worried about DeRosa, but he should be with Espinosa.

75. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So they are averaging >25,000 through this homestand, without any special draw outside of the home opener. Not so bad, probably projects over 2.5MM or better, especially if they keep winning.

76. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

They'll start drawing more during the week after the Caps' season is over and school is out. And attendance is already up. Should be a very good year at the turnstiles. And more TV money coming, too. All good things for the future.

77. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

a rainout tomorrow would be great..two straight off days for the bullpen

78. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

WERTH!SURFACE! SURFACE!

79. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

a rainout tomorrow would be great news for the pen..WERTH finally

80. TimDz - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

J A Y S O N

81. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

That Werth guy stinks, too. Maybe we can get a ham sandwich for him.

82. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

2-0. that's plenty. another nat style blowout.go pen!

83. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I certainly hope that we don't have to suffer through H-Rod in the 9th inning today.

84. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Nats were in the bottom of the league in homers coming into this weekend, but that's 3 in two days. And Zim had one Thursday in the loss. So the longball is arriving.

85. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Desi & Werth w/authority,yeah man

86. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Desmond! PFB!

87. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Huge play there. Great range.

88. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Good play by Espi, too, to keep his foot on the bag. That's why they're not so worried about his hitting. He's a great defensive second baseman and the bat will come around. He's still adjusting to Major League pitching, after all.

89. realdealnats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

LaRusa and Davey saw it in Desi when many of us didn't.W/the confidence Davey's installing in him, looks like he might be getting there…

90. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

So have they worked out that blood-pressure meds promotion that someone suggested yesterday? Cause I could use some.

91. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Eugene, you must embrace the pain. It is the only way.

92. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Lidge is up in the bullpen. Grab the Maalox.

93. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Or is that "embrace the 'pen"? I may have that wrong.

94. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Mark–"to ostensibly pitch the ninth."??

95. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

C'mon Brad!!

96. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

if game gets rained out tomorrow this is for the sweep

97. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Either way, this is for the series win. Taking the opening series against the Marlins and beating Anibal would be two pretty big milestones for this team.

98. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Barkeep make mine a double!

99. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Damn

100. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Darn it.

101. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

ummm, about that pain…

102. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

you could see that one coming, lidge should not be closing

103. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Oh Brad….

104. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Might as well get out in front of it. Yes, you told us so.

105. Cwj - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Exposremains- Yeah I had a bad feeling about Lidge today.What a terrible way to ruin an otherwise awesome game on a beautiful game.Damn! I guess Henry will be the full time closer from now on.

106. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Lidge and H-Rod both suck!

107. FS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

dang it, that sucks.I still like Davey's two bullpens.

108. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Either Henry should be the full-time closer or maybe alternate him with Stammen. Lidge just isn't getting it done in the 9th.

109. Cwj - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ugh, Lidge really ruined my day :(I feel like I've been punched in the gut.

110. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Game isn't ruined yet, cwj.

111. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

lidge on 15 day dl after game with elbow soreness/vertigo/something…rodriguez takes over as full time closer

112. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This is just awful considering how hard the team had to work today – awful for Strassie, too. Drew must be dying sitting there in the bullpen watching his idol who can't close anymore. Bottom of the ninth – if they don't score anymore – no Zim.

113. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

lidge really hasn't been good all year, he has been mostly lucky. and here come the Marlins of old

114. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I highly endorse that plan, Scott.

115. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Embrace the pain, cwj. It is the only way.

116. Cwj - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Anon- When's the last time Henry gave up a hit?He does not suck and he doesn't give up homers.

117. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Oh, Druuuuuuuuu – we miss youuuuuuuuuuuu!

118. Drew - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

When you enter the 9th with a two-run lead you simply cannot walk the lead off hitter.

119. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

That is what happens when you cannot score runs. To much to ask for the pitching staf to be perfect all the time.

120. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Who is up for us in the 9th?

121. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It's certainly not too much to ask your closer to protect a 2-run lead. That's what they're there for.

122. Cwj - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Sec 3- Yeah I guess I should embrace it :-) When the Nats were bad I expected things like this. Wins were surprising and fun.Now that the Nats have a good team every loss hurts more.

123. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

This ab will probably be the game.

124. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

so Lidge us up for the win..wonderful

125. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OK, any old kind of a run wins it…Let's go get 'em!

126. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

need some hairy chested bench hitting!

127. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

really dodge a bullet here, hitters are just waiting for fastball and crush it

128. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Is Zim available to pinch-hit?

129. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Here is where Zim and LaRoche out really hurts us. Maybe LAR will come in and hit?

130. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hate to comment on game posts and did not read anyJust came in from yard work and radio when they tied it – thought I could change our luck and I did!I won't rant on Lidge but Bobby Carpenter just told us the intentional walk and 2nd runner didn't mean anything. Man he is horrible

131. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bartender, 10 more miligrams of Lisinopril, please.

132. rogieshan - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

The bigger question: Do you keep Mattheus/Gorzelanny and move Lidge when Wang comes off the DL? I know Johnson likes having proven veterans around, but…

133. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

And Ray sorta endorses the "pick one" closer plan–and Bob and FP follow suit.

134. FS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:35 PM

exposremains, i think all were hit on sliders. right?anyways, I believe Chad was Drew's idol. At least that's what I remember reading from one of his interviews.

135. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

sjm, yes, I heard Carp say that, and I cringed, too. Good thing he didn't jinx it with that.

136. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Remember that Lidge wasn't supposed to be closing. Put Henry in that job and hold on for Drew.

137. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

what i meant is that with the fastball being slower than it used to be his slider is not as effective. making both of his pitches not effective.

138. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Holy cow! That works.

139. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Wha?? Whoa, thank you Marlins!

140. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I seem to recall us making few of those blunder vs the Marlins in years past

141. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

where's laroche??

142. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Really, Nady? You are 0 for the universe and you swing at the first pitch? Thanks for that and have fun when you are dfa'd when Morse returns.

143. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

In at 1st.

144. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Grzo-oh-no…

145. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

GRRRRRRRRR! That is all…

146. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

And Gorzo on the hill. Hope it's not time for him to take another one on the chin.

147. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

WHAT???????

148. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

gorzo, thats promising

149. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

This was just so unnecessary.

150. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Good thing they brought LaRoche in.

151. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

carpenter is nothing but a blow dried piece of fluff…reads people magazine and watches reruns on nick at night..aahhh he misses the gold old days

152. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

153. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

154. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

OK, good inning for Gorzo. Let's go get a W.

155. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yep. Gorzo got it done. Now time to end the game.

156. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

3:46, I was out of the room but I assume that was a double switch with the pitcher's spot.

157. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Either that or it will make them as tough as nails, anon at 3:46. I am liking the adversity early in the season ( well, not personally) and I don't mean losing, I mean tough situations. This is the kind of battle testing they need to make it to the post season. Every hard lesson they learn today, even the coaching staff, will come into play later.

158. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Exactly, swami. Scapping out these tough wins early sets the tone for the season and gets the young guys used to dealing with pressure situations. It's tough to watch, sometimes, but this is a team that's learning how to never say die.

159. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Jank you THESUS

160. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Yes indeed. And head's up running by Ramos!

161. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

i dont see how pitchers throwing more pitches is ever a good thing

162. RickH - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

As someone else said earlier, thank you Marlins!

163. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

did he step on first?

164. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

That was hilarious!! GYFNG! RAMOS at third

165. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey, it's FREE BASEBALL. Gotta love it.

166. FS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

remember, any way we can we must.

167. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

More "old nats" play by the fish

168. Anonymous - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Anonymous said…If they brought LaRoche in for defense, why didn't they bring him in to hit? #confusedThe total lack of offense by the Nats sooner or later will wipe out the pitching staff.Different managing style from Riggleman anon. Hmmm well let's look at the date .. oh my its only April 21st NOT AUGUST 21st. Do you see the difference? Davey has 2 or 3 guys in AAA who could come up to help him. He's waiting to see who is going to take the opportunity and run. He is still auditioning for a left fielder and a closer. (See Nady, Xavier) Now, if someone on the major league roster doesn't take the opportunity someone down in the minors will get their shot.

169. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

sorry..tv showed 1 out

170. RickH - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Another series win!!!

171. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

PFB. And we've taken the first series of the year from the nemesis Marlins.

172. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ian Desmond won't carry the team on his back for weeks at a time like Zim can, but like Ankiel yesterday, he did just that today.GYFIDG

173. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Well put by FP, yesterday it was Ankiel, today Ian!

174. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Love me some fried Fish WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

175. sjm308 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

5 series in a row!!Unbelievable

176. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

did she say it was his 1st hr? enough with the gatorade crap..its bush

177. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

man this team can be frustrating, but at least this year they win

178. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Have we ever won 5 series in a row!? Wow!

179. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The Gatorade is sign of a loose, happy team. I say keep it up. So, this is Natitude? I can get used to it…

180. hmmm... - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

gatorade, kookaid. it's all good

181. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

So Reyes makes the mistake (didn't get the error charged to him) that loses the game for his team. Ian Desmond hits a tape measure shot, makes a web gem highlight to create an out and hold the line on defense, and drives in the winning run.

182. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

We'll tell them you said so, Scott. I'm sure they'll quit immediately when they realize that.Geez. Were you weaned on a pickle or something?

183. Exposremains - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

just noticed that Lomo kinda flick is bat after his HR, a few ball inside tomorrow would not be a bad thing

184. UnkyD - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Desi's sample size keeps expanding…. I wonder how many HRs, game-winning deep sac flies, and rangey highlight-reel putouts it'll take to earn him some consensus love, here…..

185. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Gatorade bath. Pie in the face. Funny wigs. Whatever works. This team is winning. Don't change a thing!

186. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

expect to win…treat it like it's the norm, not worthy of a huge celebration evrytime you come out on top..show some class…at least wait until youre in the clubhouse..it's the whole thing about not acting like an ass after you score a touchdown..at like youve been there before

187. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Last spring training jim Leyland said he loved Desi. The baseball people know something that we don't. GO DESI!

188. SFNats - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Time to start the Desmond All-Star bandwagon. Vote early and vote often.

189. sm13 - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Lost in the shuffle – nice to see Sean come in and do the job so easil

190. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM

act like a human being who's playing a game for a living. Stoicism is way over-rated.

191. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Embrace the win, embrace the joy. Scarier than embracing the pain, sometimes.

192. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Scott i don't think they do the gatorade every tome they win. I think just special wins. Like a walk off or like lombo's bog hitting night.

193. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

and please dont dump gatorade on Davey…george allen was coaching at college when he was older..after a win they dumped gatorade on him..he got sick and few weeks later…no more george allen

194. UnkyD - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

@Scott: most of them haven't been here… I'm fine with the enthusiasm… Part and parcel of being a young, talented team, getting used to winning….

195. Scott from Burke - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

btw..fantastic win..deflated after giving up 2 in the 9th..grind one out in the 10th..wondeful pitching in the top of the 10th..great stuff

196. MicheleS - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Stupid auto correct. Tome – time. Bog – big. Geesh.

197. baseballswami - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Five series in a row to start the season . That is really special. I honestly don't care who we are playing or how tough they are or how easy they are supposed to be, let's just bank these wins and continue to build that total.