Apr 24, 2012, 2:54 PM EST
The 29-year-old accepted the assignment and will join the Chiefs roster.
Carroll made the Nationals Opening Day roster and was originally expected to see significant playing time in center field, starting against left-handed pitchers. But the late-spring addition of Xavier Nady pushed Carroll out of the mix and he wound up receiving only two at-bats over the season’s first week (also making three appearances as a pinch-runner).
When Rick Ankiel was activated off the disabled list April 14, the Nationals needed to clear a roster spot. Carroll was designated for assignment, leaving him in limbo for 10 days while he cleared waivers and while the Nationals sought trade requests.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos