Apr 24, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
The 29-year-old accepted the assignment and will join the Chiefs roster.
Carroll made the Nationals Opening Day roster and was originally expected to see significant playing time in center field, starting against left-handed pitchers. But the late-spring addition of Xavier Nady pushed Carroll out of the mix and he wound up receiving only two at-bats over the season’s first week (also making three appearances as a pinch-runner).
When Rick Ankiel was activated off the disabled list April 14, the Nationals needed to clear a roster spot. Carroll was designated for assignment, leaving him in limbo for 10 days while he cleared waivers and while the Nationals sought trade requests.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg hopes chiropractor can fix shoulder
- Aaron Barrett joins STL to discuss Nats recent success
- Bullpen holds after Strasburg's early exit, but Nats fall
- PHOTOS: RG3 attends Nationals-Marlins Tuesday
- Nationals preview adorable Pet Day calendar
- Nats are building momentum off of each win
- Still finding his groove, Werth gets night off
- Strasburg tries to lead Nats to 4th straight win
- Roark passes another test with save against Marlins
- A blast and a bloop keep red-hot Nats rolling