Apr 24, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nats open a six-game, West Coast trip tonight at Petco Park.
So much for Ryan Zimmerman having no doubts about his ability to return to play tonight. The star third baseman is not in the Nationals' lineup for their series opener against the Padres, apparently still bothered by the right shoulder inflammation that kept him from playing Saturday. Zim insisted the following day the injury was "nothing" and that he'd be good to go for the start of this West Coast trip. Obviously, that's not the case, which can't be considered good news for anyone. Stay tuned.
Steve Lombardozzi will instead start at third base tonight, with Mark DeRosa again taking Zimmerman's regular No. 3 spot in the lineup (though DeRosa will play right field, with Jayson Werth sliding over to center field because the Nationals are facing a left-hander in Clayton Richard).
Gio Gonzalez, makes his fourth start of the season, hoping to benefit from Petco Park's spacious gaps (not to mention a Padres lineup hitting a collective .214 so far this season.
I'm not on this road trip out west, so no live updates. Enjoy the game and the late-night conversation. (And for anyone still having trouble posting comments with the new log-in system, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help navigate you through the process.)…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Mark DeRosa
CF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels