Apr 24, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
US Presswire photo
The Nats open a six-game, West Coast trip tonight at Petco Park.
So much for Ryan Zimmerman having no doubts about his ability to return to play tonight. The star third baseman is not in the Nationals' lineup for their series opener against the Padres, apparently still bothered by the right shoulder inflammation that kept him from playing Saturday. Zim insisted the following day the injury was "nothing" and that he'd be good to go for the start of this West Coast trip. Obviously, that's not the case, which can't be considered good news for anyone. Stay tuned.
Steve Lombardozzi will instead start at third base tonight, with Mark DeRosa again taking Zimmerman's regular No. 3 spot in the lineup (though DeRosa will play right field, with Jayson Werth sliding over to center field because the Nationals are facing a left-hander in Clayton Richard).
Gio Gonzalez, makes his fourth start of the season, hoping to benefit from Petco Park's spacious gaps (not to mention a Padres lineup hitting a collective .214 so far this season.
I'm not on this road trip out west, so no live updates. Enjoy the game and the late-night conversation. (And for anyone still having trouble posting comments with the new log-in system, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help navigate you through the process.)…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Mark DeRosa
CF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day