Game 18: Nats at Padres

Apr 25, 2012, 7:28 PM EST

US Presswire photo
The Nats look to make it two in a row today at Petco Park.

The bad news: Ryan Zimmerman is again not in the Nationals' starting lineup. The good news: He is listed on Davey Johnson's bench, so at this moment the Face of the Franchise hasn't been placed on the disabled list. I would seriously doubt Zimmerman is available to play tonight, though, because at the very least the Nationals want him to rest his ailing right shoulder for another day or two.

There's still no official word on Zimmerman's MRI results, which were expected to be revealed earlier today. As soon as anything is announced, I'll pass it along. (UPDATE: Here's the latest on Zim, in a new post.)

In the meantime, Chad Tracy (whose pinch-hit, two-run single last night propelled the Nationals to a 3-1 win) gets the nod at third base and will bat in Zimmerman's familiar No. 3 hole. Otherwise, Johnson's lineup has a typical look. Jordan Zimmermann gets the start.

As you know, I'm not in San Diego, so there won't be live updates. But as I said, check back for any news on the Zimmerman front…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 6:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 69 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Chad Tracy
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Sean Kelly - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

If Morse can throw but not swing and Zim can't swing but can throw, let's glue em together and have someone pinch run.

2. natsfan1a - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Thanks, Mark. Will be interested in Z-man news if and when it becomes available.Nats: like I said earlier: go do that voodoo that you do so well. I am hoping for another happy morning game results email – no, wait. This one is on at a decent hour. Never mind.

3. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I think Morse said he can swing but not throw, right? Or was that before he re-injured it?

4. Traveler8 - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Sean Kelly, I think you have 1/2 thrower + 1/2 thrower, just getting a pinch runner won't do the trick.

5. whatsanattau - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Not to denegrate a player that I am becoming rather fond of, but Tracy led national league third basemen in errors with 25 each in 2004 and 2006. On the otherhand, his range was average. Whatever, 2-1 Nats win. Mattheus vultures the decision.

6. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM

If Tracy really can handle 3B defensively, he's probably a better stopgap than DeRosa if Zim is gone for a substantial number of games. I have my doubts, but don't mind DJ giving him a shot at all. This team needs the best possible offensive substitute with Zim out of the lineup.

7. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM

From Amanda's Twitter Feed:Amanda Comak‏@acomakRyan Zimmerman said MRI went well&"everything was fine." Confirmed diagnosis of AC joint issue/soreness. Try to hit tom., decide from there

8. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Sean, that made me laugh. If you build it they will come or maybe would use the theme from the $6 Million man (or $100 Million Man)

9. Tcostant - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM

$6M ManWe can rebiuld him, strong, faster…

10. blovy8 - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I can't really feel that depressed, the Nats are not the ones batting Hermida cleanup.

11. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Oh, MicheleS, I love you! You have talked me back from the ledge, I have put away the sharp instruments and have unattached the garden hose from the car exhaust pipe. I really didn't want to believe the worst case scenario with Zim, and just want this magical ride to continue.Nats celebrate with an offensive explosion for J-Zimm and win, 3-1. Again.

12. Sean Kelly - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

trying to keep it light :) After seeing all the Maalox posts from the past few days and how I've felt watching the Nats, we could use a laugher tonight. Also, I think i am the only one I know checking the Caps score on Nats breaks this evening. My nerves can't take the abuse.

13. TimDz - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nat Batters….How about a little run support for Znn tonight?Please?

14. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Sunshine, just tipping my Bartender! Happy to oblidge anytime!Poor Amanda. I think several of us on Twitter have been pestering her with RZ questions (since Mark Z isn't in SD). She probably wants to go on CSN and have a mass announcement to tell us all to quit flipping out and that everything will be okay. Can you imagine what we are going to be like by the end of the season?

15. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

MicheleS asked, "Can you imagine what we are going to be like by the end of the season?"OMG! I don't think I can make it until the end of April!! But actually it's fine, great really. I think all of us are just shocked from the amount of improvement in such a short period. It just seems this team "learned" to win these close games overnight. All last night, I kept expected Clipp or Burnett or MPH Rod to give up that ridiculous bloop hit that used to cost us these games. Now we are winning them. I have to chalk that up to Grandpa Davey. He's created a culture of winning. It's amazing.At least we won't be all walking around like zombies tomorrow morning with this late afternoon start. But Friday morning is another story. The bourbon is restocked, the Maalox is chilling over ice, I am set for the night. Is three runs too much to ask?

16. Steady Eddie - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Yes, definitely an offensive explosion like our 4-0 whupping of the Mets where all 4runs were scored without putting the ball in play IIRC. On walk, WP, walk, and HBP (? – not sure of 4th run, maybe it was on an error?)Good times!

17. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Steady Eddie, I knew as soon as DeRo walked and then the Balk last night that the Nats would win the game. That's just how they roll!

18. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM

At the first ST game against Houston in Kissimmee this year, a veritable block party of NI regulars broke out in the first 2 rows behind the Nats dugout. I can tell you that very few of that group is overly suprised at this teams start.

19. JayB - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

From Amanda at the times…."Davey said Ryan Zimmerman had a cortisone shot on Saturday but they're thinking it might've missed the spot."…….that tells you all you ever need to know about Nats Medical Staff.Njack….I am happy with Ian D….really happy but Nady, DeRosa and that "best Bench Ever of DJ's……Seems you were wrong there? Would you admit it if you were?

20. RickH - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Let's make it two games in a row and six series in a row!

21. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Amans C is now reporring that Zim received a cortisone shot but theu may have missed. If Zim needs another one he'll most likely go to the DL retro to last Sat. Means he'll be eligible to return 5/6.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

13 and 4 JayB. You tell me.

23. JayB - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

It has been fun…I have been at each home game……you know as well as I do (or better)..they have been very lucky and that if they do not score more it will not last….are you thinking the pitching is historically best ever and it will last?

24. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

From Amanda at the times…."Davey said Ryan Zimmerman had a cortisone shot on Saturday but they're thinking it might've missed the spot." Speechless.

25. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

When the person applying the cortisone shot is dependent on the patient for the actual injection point, it's at best a guess especially in the shoulder. I know. I've had several.It's not like the back where they inject between spinal vertibrea. I've had those, too.

26. whatsanattau - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Just keep pumping those steroids in there until you get the right spot. sheesh

27. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

So glad we are playing when Sun is still out on East coast.

28. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM

When the person applying the cortisone shot is dependent on the patient for the actual injection point, it's at best a guess especially in the shoulder. Um, if there's any doubt what the right spot would be, isn't that a good reason to do an MRI?

29. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The shot was given Saturday. The MRI wad taken Monday.

30. SonnyG10 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM

You guys crack me up. That is funny about missing the spot with the cortisone shot. Not so funny for Zim, I guess.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Now that they have an MRI, they CAN pinpoint the spot.

32. djinFl. - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Shoulder shots are tough but my favorite was the hip shot. They just work that needle around and keep trying to hit the right spot. I will pass on the spine NJ.

33. natsfan1a - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I've had cortisone shots as well and agree with what NJ said about location.

34. JayB - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Why not do the MRI on Sat and the Shot after that….is that to effective for Nats medical staff norms.

35. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Now that they have an MRI, they CAN pinpoint the spot.Duh. Exactly. As soon as it was reported on Saturday that the docs said there was no structural damage but an MRI was not done, a number of people here questioned that decision. Now we find out that a cortisone shot administered without the benefit of the pinpointing that an MRI would provide was not successful. And still you act like there is no reason to complain about the medical staff. I understand that for mere mortals doctors don't run around doing expensive MRIs before trying some treatments like rest, advil, and even a cortisone shot. But this is the $100 million man, the most important player on the team. Shouldn't the most extensive medical care be available to him as soon as he complains about a condition that is going to keep him out of the lineup?

36. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

JayB I think if it was inflamed they have to wait to do the MRI (until that goes away) Probably gave the cortisone shot early in hopes that it would help. And can we please stop harping about the Medical Staff? We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, that horse has been beaten to death.

37. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

The forever historical black cloud just can't deal with the here and now. It's always look back, look back!.

38. NatsLady - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I heard just yesterday on the radio that they have a new technique for using ultrasound to figure out exactly where to position cortisone shots. That suggests to me it's not so easy. So they have to use ultrasound (or MRI) to find it.

39. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

And the starry-eyed optimists will support retroactively bless each and every decision that the Nats' management makes. Seriously, those of you who say there's nothing to complain about here, are you really not pissed in the least that Zim's cortisone shot missed? Really? If the treatment had been done successfully he might have been well on the road to recovery by now. Instead, we'll next see him in the lineup in May 6. Is that really just fine with you?I think if it was inflamed they have to wait to do the MRI (until that goes away) Probably gave the cortisone shot early in hopes that it would help. MRIs can reveal inflammation. That's one of their many important advantages over x-rays.

40. JayB - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Tracy, C .200 .250 .267 .517Bernadina, R .194 .293 .278 .570Nady, X .159 .196 .250 .446DeRosa, M .091 .231 .091 .322Carroll, B .000 .000 .000 .000Njack…that is your here and now for the Best Bench Ever……..

41. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I just flipped on PTI and they are actually going to talk about Nats Pitching in the next segment ( i had to turn off MASN)

42. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM

What's PTI?

43. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM

222 It's ESPN

44. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I've had cortisone shots too. I know it's a bit of a guess where the right spot is. I don't make $15 million a year playing major league baseball for a division leading team whose offense (and defense) is significantly affected by my absence.

45. waddu eye no - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Is there an insider doctor in the house that can end the guessing game? Mark-of so, is there insider health insurance to cover a consult?

46. NatsLady - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM

47. NatsLady - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM

PTI = Pardon the Interruption, a long-running sports TV show. They also have a podcast you can download from iTunes. Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon (two ex-WaPo sports reporters) do the talking with misc. guests.

48. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I do like the fact that Davey was cracking jokes about bringing up Harper if RZ goes on the DL. Shows he is trying to keep it loose.

49. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM

And all those #'s still add up to 13 and 4 JayB so yes, best bench to date.

50. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Well it could be worse. Pineda (NYY) needs shoulder surgery and Carl Crawford (BOS) has to actually go visit Dr Andrews (never like hearing that)

51. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM

And now for something completely different, let's score some runs for JZimm….

52. Fear and Ignorance - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Michael Pineda is out for the year. Gotta believe they are going to trade for somebody. On another note, could a 6-man rotation possibly be in the works for the Nats??? Like many others, I have shot down this theory time and time again, however, never before have so many factors come into play to actually make this idea worth consideration:-having 6 legit starters-guys on IP limits (Stras, Detwiler, Wang)-number of times guys get more than 4 days rest anyways (schedule, rainouts, etc.)-chance at the playoffsStill not sure how I feel about this, but with Rizzo's defiant announcement that Wang was a starter, I have to believe they may be strongly considering this. What does everybody think?

53. UnkyD - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Fear: Det to 'pen…

54. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

There is not going to be a 6 man rotation……ever….. So just stop it.

55. Fear and Ignorance - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

UnkyD-If he keeps throwing the way he is, I just don't see how you can move him back to the pen if he has indeed started to really figure things out.

56. natsfan1a - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Speaking only for myself, if I can't be a starry-eyed optimist when the team is 13-4, then I guess I'd better turn in my card to the Optimists Guild. Injuries happen, to teams that are leading the division and to teams that are in the basement. I can't control injuries, treatment, or even the team's W-L record. But I can control how I react to each of those. I'm gonna enjoy this wild ride while it lasts. As always, your collective mileage may vary. Go, NATS!!

57. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Funny tweet from Amanda..Can you imagine what JZ is going to do them tonight.Amanda Comak‏@acomak After the No. 4 spot in the #Padres lineup, not a single batter is hitting over .196. Yikes. #nats

58. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

There's 4 more weeks before a decision has to be made. Alot can happen so just let it play out.

59. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

1A.. I call shot gun!

60. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Who knows how CMW is going to look in his rehab starts. If he's lights out, Rizzo's phone might start ringing and the problem will be solved.

61. Fear and Ignorance - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

NatsJack-That is the point of the 6-man rotation…to let things play out!!! Nobody said it would be forever. 3 MLB teams did this last year and the White Sox did it for the better part of 3 months until Jackson got traded to the Cards.

62. JaneB - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM

It's actually pretty easy to miss the spot for a cortisone injection. First of all, the "spot" isn't a set thing. I'm so glad that it's just a shot that's required. It sure sounded scarier when Davey was talking last night.Anyway. Let's get some runs for Jordan! I already have started on the bourbon. Just sayin.GYFNG!

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Question for NatsJack in Florida. Did you play high school ball with a major league who pitched primarily with the White Sox. A friend of mine who played a decade later at the same high school said you did. The pitcher that played on your team, was a substitute teacher at the school when I was there, and I had him in 10th grade.

64. JaneB - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM

And in four weeks, Wang is tradeable, if we need to. I can't imagine that he is going to be better than our guys now. Though I'm happy to be surprised.

65. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Tom Bradley and I grew up together from the age of 8. I caught and he pitched as co-captains at Falls Church. Sandy Alderson was our back up middle infielder on the same team.

66. JaneB - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Here we go, Jordan!

67. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

A whole run for JZimm in the first inning. Woohooo

68. djinFl. - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

double, double no toil or troubleLets win another series

69. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Jordan's thinking.. I have this in the bag!

70. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM

NatsJack — I completely agree that the Nats will never use a 6 man rotation. They want to see Gio and Stras and Znn and even E-Jax pitch every five days. But there's no reason to tell other commenters to "stop it" or "just let it play out." Everyone's entitled to their opinion even if it's different from yours.

71. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Well that's one way to deal with a lack of run support!!

72. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Way to help yourself out Jordan. C'mon Ian….

73. djinFl. - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Sometimes you just have to do it yourselfWay to go JZim

74. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hmmm.. interesting comment from Carp.. Davey said that MPHROD is the closer tonight. Well, I think that settles that.

75. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Good for Davey. MPH-Rod has earned it. Lidge hasn't.

76. JaneB - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I'm relieved that it MPHRod. Sometimes he will be the old Henry, but mostly he will be the new Henry. And Lidge doesn't have his out pitch anymore, good as he actually still is. And he is. In the 9th and 8th, you need a sure out pitch. Or WE need a sure out pitch, because you can only drink so much bourbon.

77. djinFl. - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM

@MicheleSI think Davey is locked into winning each series.Once that is complete, plan B guys play.After last night MPHROD is plan A, A-, etc. etc.

78. SFNats - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Go Henry! That's good news. Even if he struggles here and there, I feel a lot better about the 9th with him than with Lidge. Put Lidge back in the job you hired him for. He's just not a closer at this stage of his career, but he can still be effective in the right situations.

79. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I like the way this ump calls strikes…..adamant and immediate.

80. JaneB - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Look at that! Gio is making STRASBURG laugh. I totally love him. I need the jersey.

81. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

No Infield Fly Rule on a popped up bunt I guess. Maybe there should be….

82. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Good baseball instincts by Alonzo. This guy could be a clone of A -Gon.

83. Exposremains - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM

how good could bernadina be if he stopped swinging like he hits 40HR a year.

84. SFNats - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM

True, Exposremains. And how long has he had to learn? I always root for the Shark, but it's becoming pretty apparent that he's the textbook definition of a AAAA player. He's just never going to be able to hit in the major leagues.

85. sm13 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Exposremains – I don't think we'll ever know. He's made himself into Endy Chavez.

86. Dude - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Stupid question time: why didn't the infield fly rule apply to that failed sac bunt?

87. TimDz - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Jordan has the hammer working tonight …

88. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ian takes a walk? IS that a sign of the apocalypse?

89. Section 222 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Oh please FP. There's something wrong with the ballpark?

90. Dave - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Jeez, Carp, that's twice in one inning you've gone into your home-run song for a routine fly-ball out. Very annoying.

91. Exposremains - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM

the worst thing that happened to Espinosa is all those HRs he hit in the 1st half last year. he shouldn't see himself as a power hitter

92. Dave - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

According to FP, the location of today's game is 27 K Street. Love it!

93. MicheleS - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Well that sucked

94. Dave - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

And as I'm typing that, Jordan gives up a dinger. Perhaps I'll stop commenting now.

95. waddu eye no - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Checkimg in. Go jzim! BYO runsMeanwhile at the opera house, nabucco is beating the hebrews. But its only the end of the first act. I hear judah has a great closer!Gyfng!

96. TimDz - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hudson? REALLY?

97. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Bunts are not infield flys, by rule.Good question, though.

98. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Caps up 1-0 in 1st period

99. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM

what? after 82 pitches?

100. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Apologies, by the way, to anybody coming in here tomorrow looking for the PxP.

101. Dude - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Thanks, sec 3. Never knew about that caveat.

102. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

LaRoche with a nice easy swing for an RBI single to right with the bases loaded, puts the Nats back up by 2. Bo holds Danny Espinosa at third, probably rightly; still loaded, still only one out. Double-switch for the Padres, as Micah Owings comes in. They might have doubleswitched to get Owings to the plate sooner, this being the Padres and all.

103. Section 222 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Werth is uncanny. At least 3 of his 8 RBIs are on bases loaded walks, right?

104. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

WILSON!!!!!

105. djinFl. - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I think J Zim would call this a rout.

106. sm13 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

A certifiable offensive explosion! Wilson has had some good at bats today.

107. TimDz - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

A FOUR run inning?Must be the seventh inning …

108. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Nice inning! You stats geeks…what do they call it when someone is markedly better with runners on? Because it sure seems to me that Werthnis such a guy. I figure there are numbers that tell the story; I just don't know about them.Also…even though the ball didn't wind up over the plate much, I was impressed by how much that ball moved. I know. I know, it's not supposed to move that way or in those places, but one pitch looked like it did a 70 degree turn at the plate.

109. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

So if Gorzelanny finishes, pitching the final three innings, he gets a save!

110. Section 222 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM

111. waddu eye no - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Hot damn! I should go to the opera more often!One more act and we should be up by 10'

112. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Wow, I leave the room for one inning and look what happens! GYFNG!So Jordan went at least 5 innings, right? And Gorzy's in line to get that good old 3-inning save. A good night all around.

113. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Despinosa!

114. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Sheesh! Who knew Gorzo could hit???

115. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

OK, Gorzo gets an RBI single–gotta leave him in now.

116. UnkyD - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Who are these Rally Folk, and what have they done with my NATS?!?!

117. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Update on Spring training site:Meeting with Lee County

118. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Waddu, that means you have to find an opera to attend for the entire Phillies home stand.

119. sm13 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Our pitchers have 2 rbi today. Pretty cool.

120. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Lombo's play there was Zimmesque.

121. Scott from Burke - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Lombo's play there was Zimmesque. but with a strong throw

122. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I'm sorry that I've been distracted by a couple of other things during this game–but I've had MASN on the whole time while running around the house.This is cool. The best offensive production in several games. But I didn't see Brad Lidge warming up out there, did I?!?

123. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Michele, thanks for that link.

124. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I saw Gorzo in between innings with the jacket over his arm, which I took to mean Davey had not told him, "Thanks, good job." yet.

125. Candide - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hmmm… maybe Lombo CAN play third…

126. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Sometimes the umps really do get the hard calls right. Lombo to LaRoche for the first out!

127. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Bourbon tastes so much better without the maalox. But now I'm starting to worry i might need some.

128. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Uh oh. This isn't good. Runners on second and third on consecutive base hits. Let's shut this one down, Gorzo!

129. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

There seems to be a lot of Nats gear in the stands…

130. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM

There seems to be very little gear of any kind in the stands.

131. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Big lead, no worries.

132. Candide - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Ten games over .500! When was the last time we saw THAT?

133. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

How 'bout them Nats?

134. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!! Another Series Win!!!!

135. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

The Padres are selling over 25,000 per game, but there was never that many anywhere near the place.Ballgame. Nats win.

136. Dave - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

All right, then. Gorzo goes upstairs to get a swinging strike 3. Nats have now won every series this year. Going for 108 wins!

137. sm13 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM

And another curly series W in the books! Go Nats!

138. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Michelle? Where are you? You are the imaginary submarine horn here.

139. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Oh there you I! Just missed it,

140. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Pretty Fricken Bueno. Back at 'em tomorrow.

141. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Jane, the off days and the 1:30AM call this monring made me a little rusty!

142. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

awesome. glad we scored some runs this time.

143. mick - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Candide said…Ten games over .500! When was the last time we saw THAT?My friend in 2005 we were 50-32 and finished 81-81.

144. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

How nice was that! I can actually go to bed at a decent hour tonight! Lets go for the sweep tomorrow!

145. mick - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM

John Patterson was a beast in 2005, sad injury, if he never had gotten hurt he could have won 25 games that season

146. mick - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I stayed up til 1 AM and it was worth it. i am addicted to the Nats!!!!

147. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Johan Santana has made four starts, and most of them have been very good.- The Mets have not scored a single run for him while he’s been in the game.from http://www.youcantpredictbaseball.comSo no need to feel picked on.

148. Section 3, My Sofa, or else sitting in the PFB truck - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Ummm, Mick, it's not 1 am tonight. They started early.You can go to bed now.; )

149. peric - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Looks like Davey once again asked Gorzo to save the bullpen. This time he got a save … and a save of the bullpen which has been overworked. This why Johnson wanted to long relief/spot starters in his bullpen. And why John Lannan might not ever get out of AAA unless there is a catastrophe injury wise to the starting rotation. He just can't do what Stammen and Gorzelanny have done. And, at this point I think I would trust Gorzelanny or Stammen taking the ball if a starter went down before Lannan … There's still CM Wang …Phil Wood said he was going to do some research and see if the Nats could option Wang to AAA … or if his contract precluded it. Anyone here know the answer to that? NFA Brian Oliver used to be able to solicit those kind of answers using his backdoor to the Nats farm folks …

150. SFNats - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

mick said…"My friend in 2005 we were 50-32 and finished 81-81."True, but there's no comparison between that team and this one. The 2005 team was made up mostly of has-beens and also-rans. A lot of aging veterans who got off to a hot start and snuck up on some people, but they weren't built to last. This is a team of young guns on their way up. Just learning how to win. That and far superior pitching should carry this team through 162 games. Not that I expect them to win 100 games, but especially with this pitching, I don't see a second-half collapse, either. This team is perfectly capable of playing .500 ball the rest of the way, and that's really all they need to do.

151. peric - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I'm not saying it NatsJack … Byron Kerr of MASN and Jim Callis are saying it … still think Moore won't be called up dude?There is a new employee with D.C. power who has been working for the satellite company most recently in Syracuse, New York. With a franchise-best 68 homers in less than three years, this player needs to be camping out in left field at Nationals Park as soon as possible.It is time to call up Tyler Moore."There's no reason not to call him up," Baseball America executive editor Jim Callis said. "Moore is 25 and he's hit throughout the minors, so it's not like he needs more seasoning. Some scouts question if he'll hit for much average, but the power is real and the Nationals could use some of it, even when they're off to a 13-4 start."

152. peric - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM

mick said…"My friend in 2005 we were 50-32 and finished 81-81."The big difference isn't the starters as much as the bullpen. Its waaay better than the bullpen in 2005 which featured only 2 guys it could rely on. The Chief like young John Patterson burned out his arm during that campaign.That ain't going to happen with Davey in charge. His 2 bullpen tandem that he alternates isn't just designed to survive the long season and thrive, with the power arms it has its designed to win short, critical series. If the Nats do make the playoffs watch out because right now they are showing they have what it takes to potentially win.

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Run support for JZim and a victory. CRAZY

154. peric - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I heard just yesterday on the radio that they have a new technique for using ultrasound to figure out exactly where to position cortisone shots.Natslady there's a reasonable risk of morbidity using cortisone shots. You can actually damage and create more atrophy in the muscle unless its done carefully. Its why your orthopedist only uses it as a last resort. A better solution would be to use … yes, steroid (testosterone cream) on the shoulders which is an optimal location to place it. Of course that is currently illegal in major league baseball … ;) But, I'm here to tell you that it can work. Both for Morse and Zimmerman.

155. waddu eye no - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Final score from opera. Jews beat assyrians. Chorus gets encoreWish i' d seen the game

156. whatsanattau - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Speed watched via DVR, very confused by the runs scoring. Our guys had a couple of plays they could have done better, but SD looked very 2007 Nats ( I.e., flat, no fundamentals, and lacking talent). The 2012 Nats look pretty strong. LaRoche may be the team MVP so far this year. His defense has always been apparent, his hitting strong all year, and now it turns out he can run the bases too.

157. whatsanattau - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:08 AM

I don't have a prediction on when they will or won't call up Moore, but I know I would like more production in the outfield. I feel guilty suggesting Bernadina might be the appropriate guy to go, but Nady has a better track record and Bernadina might still draw a c level prospect in return. Baseball Prospectus wrote that Brown might be better than Bernadina so its also possible he could be the guy.

158. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You got it, pal!MicheleS said… 1A.. I call shot gun! April 25, 2012 6:36 PM

159. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Raises hand. (What can I say? I'm one of those nerds who keeps score. :-))Section 222 said… Sec3, you get a save for pitching the last three innings, regardless of the margin of victory? who knew? April 25, 2012 8:40 PM