Apr 25, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed six more scoreless innings last night.
The clock had passed 1 a.m. on the East Coast when Henry Rodriguez threw the last of his 12 unhittable pitches in the bottom of the ninth, sealing the Nationals' 3-1 victory over the Padres.
Perhaps it was appropriate the Nationals' latest win — the one that gave them the best record in the NL at 13-4 — was wrapped up at such a late hour back in D.C. Anyone who stayed up til the end was probably operating with less than 100 percent brain function. And truth be told, you don't want to try to analyze this ballclub with all of your faculties intact.
What began as the feel-good story of a perennial loser suddenly enjoying success is now treading into the theater of the absurd.
How do you even try to explain what is transpiring right now?
– Nationals starting pitchers are riding a 20-inning scoreless streakRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper leaves Nats game after feeling lightheaded
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets