Apr 25, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed six more scoreless innings last night.
The clock had passed 1 a.m. on the East Coast when Henry Rodriguez threw the last of his 12 unhittable pitches in the bottom of the ninth, sealing the Nationals' 3-1 victory over the Padres.
Perhaps it was appropriate the Nationals' latest win — the one that gave them the best record in the NL at 13-4 — was wrapped up at such a late hour back in D.C. Anyone who stayed up til the end was probably operating with less than 100 percent brain function. And truth be told, you don't want to try to analyze this ballclub with all of your faculties intact.
What began as the feel-good story of a perennial loser suddenly enjoying success is now treading into the theater of the absurd.
How do you even try to explain what is transpiring right now?
– Nationals starting pitchers are riding a 20-inning scoreless streakRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'