Apr 25, 2012, 8:52 PM EST
An MRI of Ryan Zimmerman's right shoulder confirmed the Nationals' initial diagnosis of inflammation to the AC joint, not a serious injury, but the third baseman may still need a brief stint on the disabled list.
Zimmerman told reporters in San Diego this afternoon he'll attempt to take batting practice before tomorrow's series finale at Petco Park. If that doesn't go well, he would likely need to receive a second cortisone shot (following one he received Saturday in Washington) and then be placed on the 15-day DL.
Any DL move would be retroactive to Saturday, because Zimmerman has not played since then, so he would be eligible to return as soon as May 6 (the Sunday night finale of the Nationals' home series against the Phillies).
Zimmerman's absence for any length of time would be a serious blow to a Nationals lineup that is already struggling to score runs without cleanup hitter Michael Morse (who won't be cleared to resume baseball activities for at least another month due to a strained lat muscle).Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats