Apr 25, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
An MRI of Ryan Zimmerman's right shoulder confirmed the Nationals' initial diagnosis of inflammation to the AC joint, not a serious injury, but the third baseman may still need a brief stint on the disabled list.
Zimmerman told reporters in San Diego this afternoon he'll attempt to take batting practice before tomorrow's series finale at Petco Park. If that doesn't go well, he would likely need to receive a second cortisone shot (following one he received Saturday in Washington) and then be placed on the 15-day DL.
Any DL move would be retroactive to Saturday, because Zimmerman has not played since then, so he would be eligible to return as soon as May 6 (the Sunday night finale of the Nationals' home series against the Phillies).
Zimmerman's absence for any length of time would be a serious blow to a Nationals lineup that is already struggling to score runs without cleanup hitter Michael Morse (who won't be cleared to resume baseball activities for at least another month due to a strained lat muscle).Read more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists