Apr 25, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
An MRI of Ryan Zimmerman's right shoulder confirmed the Nationals' initial diagnosis of inflammation to the AC joint, not a serious injury, but the third baseman may still need a brief stint on the disabled list.
Zimmerman told reporters in San Diego this afternoon he'll attempt to take batting practice before tomorrow's series finale at Petco Park. If that doesn't go well, he would likely need to receive a second cortisone shot (following one he received Saturday in Washington) and then be placed on the 15-day DL.
Any DL move would be retroactive to Saturday, because Zimmerman has not played since then, so he would be eligible to return as soon as May 6 (the Sunday night finale of the Nationals' home series against the Phillies).
Zimmerman's absence for any length of time would be a serious blow to a Nationals lineup that is already struggling to score runs without cleanup hitter Michael Morse (who won't be cleared to resume baseball activities for at least another month due to a strained lat muscle).Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start