Apr 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals go for the sweep tonight at Petco Park.
The last time Edwin Jackson took the mound for the Nationals … well, he gave up five times as many runs in the top of the first as the last four members of the rotation have given up in total. Think about that. Jackson gave up five runs in that disastrous first inning against the Astros, then Ross Detwiler, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann collectively gave up one run the next four games.
Jackson certainly doesn't want to be perceived as the weak link in the majors' best rotation, so you've got to believe he's motivated to come out tonight and show the Padres who's boss. San Diego sends right-hander Edinson Volquez, the former Reds ace, to the hill. He'll face a Nationals lineup that once again is without Ryan Zimmerman and will feature Chad Tracy at third base and in the No. 3 hole.
A victory tonight for the Nationals would be historic: No D.C. baseball club has ever opened a season 15-4. They have a chance to do just that and sweep the Padres in the process. Enjoy the game and the late-night conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 184
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from LF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Chad Tracy
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI
- Taking a crack at the Nats' Opening Day roster
- 3-time All-Star retires day after getting cut by Nats
- Braves, Marlins miss out on Cuban star Hector Olivera