Game 19: Nats at Padres

Apr 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
The Nationals go for the sweep tonight at Petco Park.

The last time Edwin Jackson took the mound for the Nationals … well, he gave up five times as many runs in the top of the first as the last four members of the rotation have given up in total. Think about that. Jackson gave up five runs in that disastrous first inning against the Astros, then Ross Detwiler, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann collectively gave up one run the next four games.

Jackson certainly doesn't want to be perceived as the weak link in the majors' best rotation, so you've got to believe he's motivated to come out tonight and show the Padres who's boss. San Diego sends right-hander Edinson Volquez, the former Reds ace, to the hill. He'll face a Nationals lineup that once again is without Ryan Zimmerman and will feature Chad Tracy at third base and in the No. 3 hole.

A victory tonight for the Nationals would be historic: No D.C. baseball club has ever opened a season 15-4. They have a chance to do just that and sweep the Padres in the process. Enjoy the game and the late-night conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 184
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from LF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Chad Tracy
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:01 AM

to pitch over 6 shut out innings in the major leagues youre usually gonna get a good defensive play or 2…bullpen is fresh..he's doing great

2. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:05 AM

It's funny, I watched Werth take that first inside corner (maybe) pitch and thought, "you know, this guy does better when I'm not watching him, I'm going into the attic storage closet to get that new box of tissues we need." And sure enough….This team is bring out all my superstitions in full force. I went to five games on that home stand wearing the same Stras jersey and red Senators cap, and they won all five.

3. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I want ALR back, too. Thank you Edwin. Hope Clip has his stuff.

4. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Bummer – – EJax's night, 6-2/3, ends with an infield hit by Denorfia — it was a hit because the ball hit the plate and bounced high enough in the air that Ian couldn't get him out. The old Baltimore chopper.

5. DWS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Watching MLB.TV and the Padres fill in makes Carp look like a genius. Dick's off for this series. And two sideline reporters?!?

6. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:10 AM

i hate those kind of hits. anyways, lets hope for best.btw does anyone has a problem where mlb scoreboard website stops refreshing itself after 12 AM?

7. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Come on Clipp!

8. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM

9. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Klip is just happy that Kotsay isn't at the plate.

10. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Ughh . . . Tyler's struggling with control of his fastball.

11. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Did I tell you, I love Tyler Klippard! K Street!

12. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM

13. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Maximum Tyler!

14. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I am going to be an ABSOLUTE MESS! I swear they do this deliberatly to make us fans chug Maalox (and bourbon)

15. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM

doubt he comes back unless Nats score some runs here. But thanks Tyler.

16. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Cwj said… Gonat- Jackson is a solid #4-5 guy in the Nats rotation. You've seen him pitch.I'll give you the stats after Clippard pitches out of this jam. April 27, 2012 12:11 AM _______________________________We are now in agreement. A solid #4/5 is exactly what we are seeing. Like I said, I am spoiled. The 3 guys before him are Aces. Lights out Aces.

17. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM

If they call it now, we definitely win!

18. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Clip found his control just in time. I love his guts and competitiveness to pull himself out of jams, though he has been all over the place this year. I guess that's better than being a little too hittable, which is what he was when we first got him from the Yanks.

19. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Yes!!! Clippard with the big K!!!Ok Gonat, Jackson has an ERA of 3.16. His K/BB ratio is 26/6 (same as Stras), and we all know the Nats can afford 11 million for a one year rental.How's that? :-)

20. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:20 AM

A DC Wonk said… Phew . . . but Hundley swings through a fastball which seemed right down the middle of the plate (did I miss something? Or did Hundley?) April 27, 2012 12:16 AM _______________________________He got him on change of speed. Brilliant. At 2-2 count with bases loaded, he sure didn't want to go 3-2. His changeup set up that fastball.

21. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM

We don't go there often, but every now and then, the big out comes from 36 K Street. Way to go Clip!What is FP talking about that one run feels like 5 for the Nats? When he said it the first time it sounded weird, but to repeat it was just dumb. We won by 5 last night. Felt a lot different.

22. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I really want the Shark to be his spring training self and make a case for himself. Darn.

23. Navy Nats Fan - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I'm pretty sure I heard chants of "Shark… Shark… Shark…" when Bernadina came up to bat just now. Must be some Natitude out there in Petco Park.

24. skidge - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Didn't realize I was an addict until now. Watched the whole game Tuesday, paid for it Wednesday, swore I wouldn't do it again, but here I am… Loved watching Clippard get it done just now!

25. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Gonat- That's all I meant by a great signing. By great I didn't mean signing Jackson was like signing Fielder or Pujols of course.I just meant it was great in that we have yet another solid pitcher with some upside in a great rotation.

26. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM

FS=Faraz Shaikh said… doubt he comes back unless Nats score some runs here. But thanks Tyler. April 27, 2012 12:17 AM _____________________________I would have agreed with you with a fresh bullpen.

27. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM

When it's late and raining, that really isn't the time to start squeezing the strike zone, blue.

28. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM

SF.. remember the other day when Stras nailed that ump? Clipp should do the same thing.

29. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Gonat said… Did I tell you, I love Tyler Klippard! K Street! April 27, 2012 12:14 AM _____________________________FP has been reading our posts.

30. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM

LOL…No doubt, Michele.

31. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Henry for a 1+ inning save? But it doesn't appear he's warming up yet

32. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Ughh . . . an 80 foot hit last inning, a 40 foot bunt single just now . . .

33. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Klip needs a doubleplay here.

34. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM

im losing my confidence in Clip

35. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM

enters Kotsay! Ahhhh!

36. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Clippard is wild tonight. It looks like Burnett's warming up.

37. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Who's watching? I am on gameday. Does Clip look rattled by that bunt?

38. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

39. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Damn

40. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM

What is wrong with Tyler Clippard?

41. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Clip's been shaky all season . . . and his luck just ran out. That earlier walk killed him.

42. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM

dang – I guess so.

43. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Scott from Burke said… What is wrong with Tyler Clippard?I'm no expert but it seems as simple as: he's having trouble locating his fastball, so he falls behind too much. Admittedly small sample size, but he has a WHIP of 1.50 before tonight.

44. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Like I said, Clip's pitching is all over the place this year. It's like he's trying to find his location and half the time it just gets away from him.

45. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I knew it. sooner or later that was going to happen. oh well, still 3 outs left.

46. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Oh well, live on the edge long enough without a margin for error, and sometimes you will fall off.

47. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Like I said at 12:24, I was surprised Klip came out for another inning. We really don't question Davey as he has made all the right moves so I am sure Davey had his reasons.Klip is just better in his one inning of work and that 7th was a high stress inning. Oh well.

48. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Last year Clip was AUT-O-MAT-IC…not a good development

49. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Not that it means anything whatsoever, I would have had Burnett start the 8th tonight.

50. John - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:35 AM

51. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I understand why Davey brought Clip in for the 8th, but I thought he shouldn't have. Got out of the jam but only after a walk. Clip just not yet what he was last year–hope he can get back in the groove.

52. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM

NatsLady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM

cwj, I thought that's what Davey might do since Nats didn't add to their lead. Wondering if all those innings past two years are finally catching up to Clip?

54. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Good job Burnett!Rally time against Houston Street (Padres closer).The Nats will pull this one off before I get some sleep :-)

55. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM

The reason, I think, is Davey wants Clip to get back in his groove. Clip the victim of not getting some calls he should have got, but last year he would have overcome it. Also I think the word is out and they are laying off the high heat. Thank you, Sean… Now let's get that win–

56. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM

The TV guys sometimes say "Adam LaRotche" and sometimes "LaRoche." which is it? I want to know for when he wins the game for us tonight.I still love you Tyler.

57. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM

John said… Can someone please explain why Burnett wasn't brought in to face Kotsay, especially since the latter already had that epic at-bat against Clippard two nights ago? April 27, 2012 12:35 AM ______________________________That's the head scratcher. Uh, Davey, how come?

58. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Clip the victim of not getting some calls? That's been his problem this year..he's not GETTING SOME CALLS

59. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Espinosa didn't just swing at the 1st pitch, did he? Sheesh

60. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM

No matter how good your pitching is, you can't score one run and expect to win.

61. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Gio not smiling.

62. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:43 AM

I'm going to call a LaRoche home run :-)

63. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:43 AM

it was a heck of a bunt

64. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:46 AM

get warmed up Hrod

65. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Now I'm going to call a Werth extra-base hit :-)

66. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:47 AM

So tomorrow, Zimm gets his shot, and we take it to the Dodgers. Good night, everyone. Good game. Blind plate umpire. Terrific EJax. Forgiven Tyler.

67. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Good night everyone.. see you tomorrow night.

68. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Oh well . . . . can't complain that the Nats won their sixth (out of six) series.G'night, my imaginary friends!

69. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Damn. Oh well. 14-5, not bad at all.Good night :-)

70. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM

don't pin it all on Clip..1 run…Ejax couldn't make it through 7..davey left Clip in too long…too bad

71. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Yes, it was a very good bunt, and Street got calls that Clip didn't. But Clip still not lights out, has only had a couple of really solid outings, the rest have been battles, some he's won, some he's lost, but nothing easy. Still–it's a "marathon not a spring" and there is a lot of season left for Clip to be Clip. Feel bad for EJax who worked his butt off, but put it behind you and on to LA.

72. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Up to LA, time to start a new winning streak.

73. John - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Sometimes (like tonight) you wish a manager would use his closer for a two-inning save. Is Mariano Rivera the only one who does it anymore?

74. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Er, marathon not a sprint. Still won the series, still in first place.

75. peric - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Any of the Gorzelanny needs to be DFA'ed "fans" think Clippard should be DFA'ed? His ERA looks worse right now … NatsLady, Clippard's arm has been abused over the past years by Jim Riggleman. He looks to me like a DL trip waiting to happen joining his apartment mate Drew Storen who suffered a similar fate. He definitelyis not the Clippard of past years …

76. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Clayton Kershaw is the best starter in the game…A- fastball and A++ curve…NASTY

77. SonnyG10 - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Rats!!!

78. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Scott, no, not putting it all on Clip. Davey usually has the good eye, like he did with the quick hook on Stammen. He will just have to get used to Clip not being super human. Was Burnett ready? Maybe that's why he didn't pull Clip after the second walk or after the bunt.And you are right about Ejax, he was living dangerously for a lotta innings.

79. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Was Burnett ready? Had the pitching coach visited? I don't think so..they could have visited while Burnett warmed up..then Clip throws a pitch..then Davey goes out and gets him after a chat..time for 12 pitches or so

80. peric - Apr 27, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Seems likely that Clippard may end on the other side of the bullpen with Lidge for now … both have injury issues I think. Johnson has to be aware of that.Seems like its going to be up to Mattheus and HRod until Storen gets completely back …

81. NatsNut - Apr 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Man. Losing feels just as yukky with a winning record as it does a losing one.

82. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

At least it's another series win. I feel bad for Clip. Does he feel under-utilized? He's so used to pitching nightly.

83. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM