Game 19: Nats at Padres

Apr 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EST

US Presswire photo
The Nationals go for the sweep tonight at Petco Park.

The last time Edwin Jackson took the mound for the Nationals … well, he gave up five times as many runs in the top of the first as the last four members of the rotation have given up in total. Think about that. Jackson gave up five runs in that disastrous first inning against the Astros, then Ross Detwiler, Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann collectively gave up one run the next four games.

Jackson certainly doesn't want to be perceived as the weak link in the majors' best rotation, so you've got to believe he's motivated to come out tonight and show the Padres who's boss. San Diego sends right-hander Edinson Volquez, the former Reds ace, to the hill. He'll face a Nationals lineup that once again is without Ryan Zimmerman and will feature Chad Tracy at third base and in the No. 3 hole.

A victory tonight for the Nationals would be historic: No D.C. baseball club has ever opened a season 15-4. They have a chance to do just that and sweep the Padres in the process. Enjoy the game and the late-night conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN DIEGO PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 184
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from LF

SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Chad Tracy
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Scott from Burke - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Go Nats! (and NY Rangers)

2. SCNatsFan - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Go Devils, Nats and Sens :)

3. Scott from Burke - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

NOW I'm angry

4. SCNatsFan - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Oh and please let Claiborne fall to my Bucs. Lots of sports praying to do tonight ha ha.

5. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Neither line-up is really going to strike fear in the hearts of either pitcher.

6. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

From the twitter world on RZ (UGH):Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWP Zimmerman's shoulder felt the same swinging today. Plan is to get treatment (likely cortisone shot) in LA. I can't see how he avoids DL.Amanda Comak‏@acomakRyan Zimmerman said things in his shoulder/AC joint felt the same when he tried to hit. Still a wait-and-see game. Will get treatment in LA.

7. A DC Wonk - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Eugene in Oregon said… Neither line-up is really going to strike fear in the hearts of either pitcher.Indeed. What's the over/under on the following:"What is the earliest inning in which we can say that both teams have hits"?(E.g., last night, SD got their first hit in the third, Nats got their first hit in the fifth — if I'm remembering correctly — and so the answer would be: "5")Takers, anyone?

8. JaneB - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I think the Padres might as well just play the bench and give the regular guys a rest. EJax is gonna come in ready to go. He's gonna sit them down, boom boom boom, regardless of who they play tonight. Might as well give the regulars a rest, I say.GYFNG!

9. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Okay. I have to share a DORK moment! I tweeted in a question to MLB Network and they answered it!MicheleS‏@AshburnNatsFan @MLBNetwork #AsktheAnalyst. Rip, when are you going to start drinking the #Nats koolaid? Al, how good is the #Nats pitching staff?Rip said that if the Nats are in it at the All Star break he will drink the Koolaid… I plan on reminding him. Al really likes the staff.

10. 417b620e-8e2f-11e1-b06f-000bcdca4d7a - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

"Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPZimmerman's shoulder felt the same swinging today. Plan is to get treatment (likely cortisone shot) in LA. I can't see how he avoids DL."If he goes to LA for the cortisone shot, he probably won't go on the DL. He'd come back to DC if he's DL bound. They have cortisone here, too. And the whole point of a cortisone shot anyway is so he can perform activities without pain. Why would he get a cortisone shot if he's not playing?

11. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Atta way, Michele (but that's not dorky). :-)Hoping to see a happy game results email tomorrow morning, 'cause there's no way I stay up for this. Go, NATS!!

12. Gonat - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

MicheleS, way to go. BRip is the only one on MLB Network including the janitor that hasn't been on the Nats bandwagon and this dates back to before the season started.I guess BRip is more concerned that he would upset the O's fans if he acknowledged the Nats as a contender.

13. Get Some Players - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Edwin just needs to keep the ball down in the 1st inning.

14. realdealnats - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Really is a Fairy Tale Beginning to the Season, but really believe that when this team hits some pretty heavy chop, they'll fasten their seat belts and ride it out. They might not win it all, but this is a good and tough group of guys–a rare blend–and they're gonna make us proud.

15. sm13 - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

16. MicheleS - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

1A, I actually have the day off tomorrow again(burning the vacation days) so I will be watching tonight.Gonat, when we are in it at the break, I plan on sending BRip a Nats Glass and Koolaid packets. His Orioles heart will break…

17. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Oh, btw, I joined a new gym a few months ago. They have tv sets all around the place so you can watch while you're working out. Since I started going, they've often had a couple tuned to ESPN, and once in a while to MLB Network. Today they had one tuned to MASN, showing the replay of yesterday's Washington-San Diego game. Whatta bunch of front-runners! I like it. :-)

18. sm13 - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Do I recall correctly that the docs usually like players to sit for 48 hours after a cortisone shot? If true, we likely won't see Zim until next week in DC.

19. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Good planning on the day off, Michele, and the "gifts" for Ripken. :-)

20. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

@MicheleS: I'll help with the postage on Billy Ripken's mid-year present. Talk about a guy not with the program…Not working until tomorrow night, blessedly.Took the afternoon nap, in pajamas already, do I have to watch hockey until the pre-game show?

21. Positively Half St. - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Here's a thought before our game. I turned the O's game on for a minute, and saw with some pain that Nick Johnson was 0 for 23 for the season. I hate me some O's, but I really want Nick to shine. No such luck; he is now 0 for 24.+1/2St.

22. SonnyG10 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Man I hope they win tonight and set a new record for Washington baseball teams best start of season. I would bask in that glory for the rest of the season. GYFNG!!! The best 25 came north!!!

23. sm13 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

You can watch Phil Humber try to make history on MLB…

24. Dave - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

1a, in addition to my long-term mission of introducing as many curly-W baseball caps into central Europe as I can (as thank-you gifts when I go to Germany and Austria), I have another mission. When I go into a restaurant with sports on the TV or TVs, I always ask that they put Nats games on if the Nats are playing.People just need to be educated.(As to my earlier-mentioned mission, you would be surprised how many Europeans who wouldn't know a baseball if they got beaned with one wear New York Yankees caps. These are people who don't know what the Yankees are and have never seen a baseball game in their lives.)

25. Veronica - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I'm assuming you guys saw this story from Sports Illustrated? http://tinyurl.com/7vqjvg4And this one from the New York Times on April 17 (I'm quoted!). The Nats are getting some national attention. http://tinyurl.com/6npbjzw

26. NatsNut - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Is it me or does Bob Carpenter say "serious jammage" too much? I don't have a TV so I've seen maybe less than 10 actual televised games, but I just watched three archived games this last week and I'm already really sick of that phrase.

27. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Well we don't use the cheap doctors for treatment:Amanda Comak‏@acomak Zimmerman's going to the Frank Jobe clinic in LA tomorrow for exam/treatment, Davey said.

28. Dave - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

@NatsNut, it's not your imagination. I think Carp has a quota of uses of "serious jammage" in every ballgame.That and the premature home-run calls are two rather annoying tics of his.

29. Jim Webster - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Natsnut… Carp's "serious jammage" has become serious irritating. I wish he'd find something original to say.

30. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Why doesn't Davey just play Lombo at third? He did ok, maybe not great but ok, and I thought he wanted to get Lombo AB's? Switch hitter, if I recall.

31. NatsNut - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Yea! And how cool is it that THIS kind of thing is the new bar for our hope!?! I'm still shaking my head in shock myself! SonnyG10 said…Man I hope they win tonight and set a new record for Washington baseball teams best start of season.

32. sm13 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

As long as they don't send Zim to Dr. Andrews it's okay….

33. terpman33 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

34. sm13 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

So much for history, Humber has given up 2 hits in the 1st

35. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

NatsLady…..Lombo is scared to death playing 3rd. He was so thankfull for LaRoches pick last night.Davey knows what he's doing.

36. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

OK, NJ, thanks. That was a great play.

37. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

"Serious jammage" is only one of Carp's many verbal failings. Among other overused idiocies:"How far is that one going to go?" for a warning track out."Good take" by (Fill in the blank) on a pitch two feet outside.That idiotic, clenched-mouth, all-knowing head nod when FP says something ridiculously obvious such as, "It's a night game tonight, Bob.""We've got the Hyundai 7th Inning stretch. It's brought to you by Hyundai." Oh. I thought it was sponsored by Ford.My favorite, though, is the night two years ago when they broke for an inning break and they ran a shot of the Kennedy Center. Bob remarked, "Great night to be out on the town if you're going to the Lincoln Center."Talk about a guy who is AAAA.

38. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM

LOL nice record keeping there Sunshine.

39. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I'm exhausted from the week, and have big weekend commitments. I've just told my family I am going to bed and under no circumstances is anyone to turn on the TV past 10:00. My daughter said, "Yeah. Because if you see the first pitch, you're a goner." Then she paused and said, "I guess, me too. Because EJax is gonna mow 'em down tonight."I hope I don't watch. I really do. But even now my will is wavering….

40. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM

How about Orioles btw? I know not most of us like them around here but 11-7, tied for first in AL east is not a bad start either. Their starters have been doing well too I believe.

41. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Tell us how you really feel about Sunshine Bobby, Sunshine. Let's not forget — "back door breaking ball," "front door breaking ball," and "he goes up pumping." Pumping?

42. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Flipping channels, Nick Johnson getting boo'd by O's fans. They let him play 1st base tonight and he couldn't field a ball that brought in 2 runs and the 1-0 lead in the 6th turned to a 2-1 deficit.Nick is batting .000 0-25 Probably will be DFA'd shortly

43. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FS- Hard to believe the O's pitching will continue to do well. But who knows :-)Go Nats!

44. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

terpman33 said… Well, the nats are aiming to be 15-4, and the skins just selected RGIII. What a great night to be a washington sports fan!!!Indeed. Between RGIII, Wall leading the Wiz to 5th straight, an OT 7th game victory over defending Cup Champ Bruins . . . and a 14-4 Nats start . . . indeed, a great night to be a DC sports fan.

45. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM

For the DC Sports fan:New Boz Koolaid

46. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Btw, I haven't logged in for a while. When/why was the log in name thing changed?

47. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

CWJ.. Go to the Desmond Erases Doubt With Hot Start thread and that will give you the reasons why

48. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM

JaneB, repeat after me:1. "I am powerless over the Nats–my life has become unmanageable."2. "Came to believe…"Aw, screw it.It's on MASN2 and MLB-TV. It's going to be a Friday. Call in sick…

49. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Don't ask, CWJ. If you got on, you're wayyyy ahead of the game. I had to e-mail Mark in desperation, then create a whole new persona on G-Mail, whatever that is, just to get back.Now that I'm logged in, I am never going to log back out. I'll never get back in.Oh, gotta go. My rotary dial phone is ringing.

50. UnkyD - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

cwj: infected by rabid anons…. Mark hadda do it…

51. peric - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM

cwj: infected by rabid anons…. Mark hadda do it…You forgot that he called me out as the main culprit. My bug-a-boo was all the whining about the anion's. I thought they were entertaining. Certainly better than All-O's all the time local chatologist Poopy McPoop. I'm still waiting for Mark to chastise multiple posters as he did me a year or so ago … to the cheers of the crowd. And Mark? I was RIGHT about Lannan and YOU WERE wrong.

52. peric - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

NatsLady…..Lombo is scared to death playing 3rd. He was so thankfull for LaRoches pick last night. Davey knows what he's doing.Teahen is a pretty fair third baseman with a left-handed bat … he's not on the 40-man roster but I can see them adding him. He must have heard the news because he drove in 6 RBI and hit his first home run, a grand slam in Syracuse. It may make sense to put him on the roster … if they decide Moore is best playing every day in Syracuse. But Moore is 25, kind of old for a prospect even in Syracuse … 2 years older than Marerro.

53. Sunderland - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

peric, were you right about Rizzo sending Harper to AA this year?Are you always right?

54. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Hmm… RZimm is going to get a shot in LA? I bet that's because: a) it's easier to stay on the west coast than fly back to DC, get a shot, then fly back out to play in the series against the Dodgers; b) there is some risk that the flying could increase inflammation; and c) because the doctor in LA probably knows how to administer the shot into the right shoulder!!Seriously, this does look like a dig at the team doctor. I really think that the New Yorker article on the Nats was an embarrassment to the magazine. In addition to the other comments, they got the ERA wrong. They start a sentence talking about the starters, then list the team ERA at 2.21. It's just very misleading. Perhaps a dog wrote it?

55. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Well, at least we have BBTN at 9:30 too! Tired of draft.

56. peric - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Sunderland I am not always right … but I can at times be uncanny … I was thinking the Nats future first baseman is now perhaps only a year or so away … and he can play third. I guess I may be right.Courtesy of Adam Kilgore:The Nationals chart what they call “quality plate appearances,” which means the hitter showed plate disciplined, hit with the situation in mind and/or barreled up the ball. Skole, a fifth-round pick last year out of Georgia Tech, recently had a streak of 23 consecutive quality plate appearances. “That’s significant,” Harris said.

57. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

sm13 said… Nats had multiple hits in the 2nd inning last night. I'll take inning 2. With the Pad's hit wiped out by a dp.Right. I was thinking of the last game I saw, which was the last night game — i.e, two games ago, where it was the 5th inning that both teams had hits on the board. I'll go with inning 4.Anyone else?

58. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM

peric said… I'm still waiting for Mark to chastise multiple posters as he did me a year or so ago … to the cheers of the crowd. And Mark? I was RIGHT about Lannan and YOU WERE wrong. April 26, 2012 9:16 PM_________________________You have never been right about Lannan. You can't let go of always having to be right. Let it go man.

59. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Skole, a fifth-round pick last year out of Georgia Tech, recently had a streak of 23 consecutive quality plate appearances.Well, it certainly helped that yesterday he walked five times (just one game)! (In a 24-2 victory!)(He also went 1-for-3)

60. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Way too premature on Skole but i have to say, he swung the strongest bat last in fall instructs. Michael Taylor was the best overalll prospect but Skole looked good.

61. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Teahen is a pretty fair third baseman with a left-handed bat … he's not on the 40-man roster but I can see them adding him. He must have heard the news because he drove in 6 RBI and hit his first home run, a grand slam in Syracuse. It may make sense to put him on the roster. Wait, are we talking about the Mark Teahan who hit .207/.277/.305 with 3 HR in 51 games for the White Sox last year. Or the one who hit .190/.261/.286 in 27 games with Toronto. Oh, they're the same guy. We have several guys who can play third base in place of Zim. DeRosa, Tracy, Lombo. The question is who can hit. Teahan is no improvement at the plate over DeRosa, Tracy and/or Lombo, one big night in AAA notwithstanding.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

This is for Peric and Peric only. Understand that Mark is an extension of the Nats family. He doesn't pass judgement on individual players or management decisions. He is a beat reporter. He is not a Tom Boswell (thank God).

63. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

peric – please stop. This blog is actually NOT all about you. You were not called out as the "main culprit." You were mentioned only because you were an abrasive anon whose name was known. You have a lot of baseball knowledge – much more than I have or ever will. I appreciate it when you share that knowledge in a civil manner. It is your habit of challenging everyone, in the most argumentative fashion, if their opinion differs from your own that makes me not want to read your posts. You appear to have a vindictive streak a mile long and can hold a grudge for an apparent eternity. For example, Mark Z writes an opinion, like about whether LannEn will get sent down, and you hold it against him forever as if he guaranteed it wouldn't happen and had you bet the farm on it. You may have been right (I could look it up, I am not interested in searching out posts that may or may not have been you, given the anonymity of them), but the way you call people out, no one cares to give you the credit in any case.You have once again bloodied your hand by holding your rapier by the blade.

64. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The author of that New Yorker piece, Steve Coll, is a great writer. His 2004 book "Ghost Wars : The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001" is one of the best books I've ever read. He lives in DC and must be a Nats fan to have written the piece. I think he meant well, and it was kind of cool to have an article about the Nats in the New Yorker. Unfortunately, as one of the commenters on the site said, it seems that the renowned New Yorker fact checking department let him down. There were a number of embarrassing errors.

65. ehay2k - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Oh, and will take the under: 2 innings for both teams to get a hit.

66. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Knowing a few stats about baseball is not the same as knowing about baseball.

67. NatsNut - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:02 AM

oh boy. here it comes. tick…tick…tick…

68. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I have the TV on. And now it seems I have to dig out the last few New Yorker issues, I haven't had time to read.I am powerless over the Nats addiction. I am. And my daughter heard that music, and came running into the room wearing her lucky Curlie W hat. There are worse addictions. At least this one comes with tasty Koolaid.

69. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Oh sorry I brought that up :(Anyway thanks for the explanation.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Well said ehay2k.

71. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM

JaneB.. we are all powerless. Your are among friends with the same addiction. Consider us the support group.

72. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Yeah I created some Google thing so I could post here again.That was a good idea by Mark.Anyway, looking for Jackson to bounce back. Which is weird to say because despite an ERA of 4.26, opponents are hitting less than .190 against him, and his K/BB rate is very good.At times ERA can be deceiving, especially this early.

73. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Okay. Just saw the Majestic commercial,how come we can't find a Nats Michael Morse shirt? We even asked at the park last week, and they acted like we were asking for some name they'd never heard of.And what's on the fiver of the New Yorker piece on the Nats? I didn't see apiece by Steve Coll when I quickly looked through the April 30 and 23 issues…And Mike Pelfrey needs TJ surgery? I guess we aren't the only ones with injuries.

74. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Jane, face it, we are in thrall to the power of the Curly W Crew and their magic power arms. And happy to be.I know I will regret it tomorrow morning as I did Wednesday morning.Thank you, heavy air in SD (Denorfia's flyout to Ankiel).

75. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

JaneB..New Yorker Link

76. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Say WHAT? Bring up Bryce early for the offense, says FP, if Zimm goes on the DL….(thanks for the support, MichelleS)

77. Dave - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

It's an addiction as bad as caffeine. I have to get up at 5:15 AM, and I'm still sitting here in front of the TV.I just have to go cold turkey after one more at-bat. At least the LA games are on the weekend.

78. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

1-2-3 by EJax, just too many pitches thrown. I didn't like what I saw. The Padres players helped him out swinging at balls out of the zone and the #2 batter crushed that pitch which carries in other ballparks over the fence.

79. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM

One thing about Lannan..he was BORING..pitching around guys to get to the pitcher..moping around with that dog-eyed what is that smell expression on his face…his games lasted way too long…even when he won he lost

80. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM

MichelleS posted the New Yorker link earlier today — it's a blog, available online only. FP says it's easier to hit in the majors than in AAA. So bring Harper up. Why not? Oy. It's going to be a long night.

81. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM

FP is nuts. No to Harper until he is ready and he has to be crushing it in AAA

82. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Thanks for the link, MichelleS. It was a lovely piece…and they corrected the error. I'm jealous of his bobblehead.I love FP but I thought that was nuts too.

83. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM

JaneB said… Say WHAT? Bring up Bryce early for the offense, says FP, if Zimm goes on the DL….April 26, 2012 10:19 PM ______________________________FP wanting to get a rise out of us. LOL

84. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Anyone else notice that Strasburg is dipping tobacco?I haven't seen it at all when he's pitching. But with most of the shots of him in the dugout, he seems to have a "cud of chaw" as Dizzy Dean would have said :)Weird thing to bring up. But I thought he gave up the chew.

85. Fear and Ignorance - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM

In the immortal words of Morty Seinfeld… "pinko commie rag."

86. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Watching the Padres broadcast on ExtraInnings, and the announcers just had to bring up "DC fans wanted to add an l-e-s-s to Werth's name last year" Ugh.

87. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

88. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Ump has a pretty big strike zone.

89. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

offense is off to a slow start as usual. hoping a stellar outing from EJax will take care of that.anyways, just found out that Carlos Lee has a nominal weight clause on his contract, 'don't be fat' clause? LOL, just thought I would share.

90. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Harper's not the one who needs to come up right now, Moore is, if anyone.

91. Dave - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Just read the New Yorker piece. Very nice, but I was very surprised at the factual mistakes. Calvin Griffith was not the father, he was the son, for example. And weren't the "Senators" actually the Nationals until the 1950s (as somebody here said today or yesterday)? And didn't MLB agree in 2004 to move the Expos to DC?And here I am still awake, having missed the chance at the inning break to turn off the TV.

92. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Cwj, after the whole cancer thing with Tony Gwynn, Stras said he was going to stop. It didn't last long.

93. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Dave- Yeah I'm gonna stay up for this game :-)

94. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Dave, face it. We will both be with the game till its over, along with lots of our imaginary friends. Edwin's ginna get out of this, watch him.

95. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Kilgore did a long article in January 2011 about Strasburg trying to quit chewing tobacco At the time, he hadn't kicked the habit completely. Sorry to hear the addiction was too tough for him to beat.

96. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Funny tag out of O-Dog. Hudson's a real throwback kinda guy. I've always liked him.Gonat- Yeah nicotine is hard to break. In fact, I'm chewing at this very moment :-)

97. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Cool thanks for the link Sec 222!

98. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Cwj said… Gonat- Remember though that Jackson is a horse who can throw well over 100 pitches per start.He does seem to be a slow starter though. April 26, 2012 10:28 PM _________________________________He is very fortunate he is facing the Padres and not the Dodgers.

99. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM

You predicted correctly JaneB! :-)

100. Dave - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM

And now that EJ got out of that jam, I'm calling it a night. I rely on you, imaginary friends, for some comment-thread play-by-play

101. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:37 AM

102. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Night Dave. Check the box score tomorrow morning to see the details of another Nats victory :-)

103. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM

So we left Wilson on base. I figure we leave a few more, and then we start getting runs. That's the way it usually works.

104. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Cwj said… Gonat- True enough. Instead it'll be Detwiler, Stras and Gio against the Dodgers. The 3 horsemen :-) April 26, 2012 10:37 PM ____________________________Yep, that is Detwiler's test for the #5 to get the other team's #1.

105. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Wow! Great throw on a dribbler to nail the pitcher at 1st!Defense by pitchers is sometimes ignored I think.Good job Edwin!

106. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Nice play by EjaX!

107. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Gonat –And we are very fortunate that eJax is pitching against the Padres and will not be pitching against the Dodgers, at least in this next series.On the other hand, who knows? The Reds are a pretty good hitting team in general and he totally shut 'em down, and then gets pounded by the anemic Stros.Nice cat-like move off the mound by eJax on that Volquez bunt.

108. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Updated info on Spring training site in Lee countyLee County MTG

109. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

110. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Steady Eddie, his game against the Reds was one of the best pitching performances I have seen. I was at that Reds game and couldn't tell from my angle how much movement he had on his pitches. When I got home, I watched the replay on TV. Something special.His other starts, not too special. He has been missing his spots and not getting the movement that he needs.

111. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Cwj said… Gonat- Detwiler against Kershaw should be interesting.I really believe Detwiler is the "true" #4 starter, talent-wise. April 26, 2012 10:51 PM _____________________________I am in the cautiously optimistic camp on Det. Right now, 16 impressive innings. That's not a lot of innings.

112. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Pew. EJax puts em away despite blind umpiring.

113. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM

That was very uncharacteristic of Wilson, never seen him jaw at an umpire like that.

114. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM

HP umpire costing Jackson a few extra pitches.But unless he completely runs out of gas, I say let Jackson go 7 tonight.Then again, the BP is rested, so who knows :-)

115. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I meant phew. It's sleep deprivation from the other night.

116. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Announcers keep talking about Padres bringing in the fences. I was reading a Padres blog earlier today — to see what, if anything, they had to say about Nats' pitching — and the predominant sentiment was: "Great, bring in the fences and we'll lose 9-3 instead of 3-1." and "Just what Matt Kemp needs for his nine yearly visits to San Diego."

117. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:01 AM

MicheleS– well, it was an absurd "ball". A catcher sometimes needs to work the umps briefly when they totally blow one, never know when you may need a makeup call later on. But that was really nice to see EJax not lose his cool and still blow away the Padres' best hitter. Most of the Nats' other pitchers in past years would have given up a dinger after that.

118. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Volquez leads the Majors in walks. A 5.9 BB/9

119. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Speaking of fences, isn't Dodger Stadium considered a pitcher's park?Nats Park seems fairly neutral.

120. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Nice double by ALR! Too bad its two outs. C'mon Jayson!

121. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

you have dimensions different than any other team..take advantage..build a team of singles hitters ala the Cardinals with Jack Clark and 7 rabbits…bring in the fences? why not lower em too? fewer home runs = a quicker game…i like it

122. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Heavy SD air gives and then takes away. If Tracy is frustrated after that, Padres hitters must give up on hitting em out. LaRoche shows what you gotta o, hit a laser off the fence.

123. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Dodger Stadium is a pitcher's park, especially at night, but it's due more to the marine layer that deadens the ball than the fences.

124. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Steady Eddie- I've noticed Stras and Gio get a little flustered when the ump misses a call.

125. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Oy, Jayson, live by the seeing eye single, die by it.

126. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Dodgers Stadium was ok for hitters when they had Cey – Garvey – Reggie Smith & Dusty Baker LOVED THOSE GUYS..adn they had some wonderful starting pitching (the bullpen never matched the starters talent)

127. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I am pretty sure I would be out of a job in no time if I made as many mistakes as a major league umpire does calling games.

128. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Sorry guys, this just isn't pretty.

129. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:10 AM

That was almost a Henry type slider!

130. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Maybe I am spoiled with what we got last 4 starts with Det, Stras, Gio and JZim.

131. sjm308 - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:12 AM

ehay2k – we will probably never meet but if we do, the first beer is on me.

132. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Well he did throw three consecutive pitches in the exact same location. And hung that change up to Alonso.x

133. Fear and Ignorance - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:13 AM

You know your offense sucks when you have to bring the infield in during the 4th inning.

134. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Win or lose, I like Jackson. He was a great signing by the Nats.

135. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Bartlett swung at 3 straight balls under the strike zone. Thank you very much!

136. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Three sliders in the dirt — three strikes. Nice.

137. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM

F&I- shows some confidence in the pitcher…even if he gives up a knock and 2 runs still believ he is good enough to keep the team in the game..for a team with the best record in the NL "You know your offense sucks when you have to bring the infield in during the 4th inning" is a bit much.

138. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Oh man, Jackson pitched out of it!!!

139. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

wow, thank you bartlett and ejax. had my heart racing there.

140. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Agree, Cwj. He can be a little erratic at times, but a guy with his stuff as a 4th starter? Excellent signing.And great play by Desi! All-Star!

141. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Edwin!! My heart rate is right up there, same as if I'd been watching on the treadmill. That counts for exercise, doesn't it?How do the players keep it together? It's as big a mystery to me as anything else they can do.

142. Steady Eddie - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

THAT was as impressive as the second and third pitches of the inning were not.

143. TimDz - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Ejax…Living dangerously …,

144. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Darn it.. FIOS lost the picture of the last out!

145. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

And now the offense needs to get Jackson some runs.

146. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Cwj said… Win or lose, I like Jackson. He was a great signing by the Nats. April 26, 2012 11:13 PM _____________________________Are you on Rizzo's payroll? "GREAT" signing? I think it was a decent signing. Only time will tell us how good it was.

147. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM

MichelleS try the low def channel.

148. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM

MicheleS — it was a slow bouncer, Ian had to go to his right and in, kinda threw it off balance – a looper to ALR for the third out. (Yes, my heart skipped a beat). While any SS makes that play, it was not routine — still a pro-play.

149. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Gonat- Sorry I don't understand? Rizzo's payroll? Me? I don't get it. Just thought he was a good pickup is all.

150. Section 3, My PFB Sofa - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Geez, 14-4 and we still get testy and negative. Harder habit to break than tobacco, apparently.

151. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Nailbiting stat of the night: Padres have already stranded six runners.

152. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:24 AM

everybody swinging for fences in a no-HR park. I don't understand the game plan.

153. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Finally a walk!

154. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I am so glad this is the last game at PetCo, tired of hearing about the fences.

155. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Hey all — Jayson Werth is apparently tied for the league lead in walks. If that's the case, with Zim out, what do we think of him batting third?

156. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Nice work by E-Jax there. And aren't we lucky that the Alonso double didn't get out of the park?

157. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:28 AM

That 3-1 pitch to EJax hasn't been a strike all night unless you swung at it. Should've walked.

158. JaneB - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Wonk, I thought Werth's streak was bases loaded walks…maybe I heard wrong.

159. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM

160. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM

For those who went to sleep and reading this later:We go into the bottom of the fifth, 0-0, top of the order due up for SD, EJax has already thrown 70 pitches (40 for strikes).

161. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Redskin fans at PetCo with an RGIII poster. Very nice. Should have worn their Nats gear, tho.

162. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

@MichelleS, I totally agree. Both teams play on the same field. It's just a slightly different game they're playing. Just like the game is different at the Great American Ballpark. Deal with it. The obsession with the fences is booorrrrrinnnggg.

163. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Gonat said… DC Wonk, you know Davey, he's thought of it but doesn't want to mess with whats working. Statistically, absolutely, you are right but then who bats 5th and 6th?You're right, I assumed Davey thought about it, and wondering why not. I guess "not mess with what's working". Whoever's batting 3rd can bat 5th or 6th.My thinking was simply: if he walks so much, it'd be nice to have him bat _before_ ALR.JaneB said… Wonk, I thought Werth's streak was bases loaded walks…maybe I heard wrong.Yes, they said both stats: (1) that he lead league in walks; and (2) they assumed he led the universe with three bases loaded walks at this early point in the season

164. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:34 AM

That was a great inning by EJax.

165. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Their top of the order – three outs. Our top of the order — three runs?

166. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Jackson's throwing a lot of pitches tonight, but wow he has shown some great stuff once again.A pretty darned good signing ;)

167. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Gonat- Notice I said "darned good" rather than "great" signing :-)

168. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM

DC Wonk, yep, Davey is playing chess.

169. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:37 AM

And in the bottom of the fifth, EJax makes quick work. (Does this guy have a rubber arm?) Just 11 pitches — two groundouts and a 4-pitch strike out with that diving unhittable slider.That wicked slider? EJax has already retired 8 guys on ground-outs (only 1 by fly out)

170. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:38 AM

what happened to good Desmond?? First pitch swingning everytime

171. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM

cwj — don't back down too fast! ;-) It might be a great signing. Time will tell. If he's an innings eater and throws as well as he has been so far — it'll be a great signing.

172. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Okay, I was wrong about the three runs.

173. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Just a bit inside

174. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:45 AM

175. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM

A DC Wonk said… and throws as well as he has been so far — it'll be a great signing. April 26, 2012 11:40 PM ___________________________He's thrown 1 gem and 2 crappers so far. Why sugarcoat it? Its decent.

176. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Oh what a play by LaRoche!

177. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM

What a WebGem, LaRoche to EJax!

178. TimDz - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Top of the seventh…GO TIME…

179. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Another awesome play at first by LaRoche and Jackson!

180. Corky - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I am going on the record right here and right now: I want Adam LaRoche and his glove in D.C. next season.Corky

181. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Bottom of the sixth. EJax on five pitches gets two groundouts — but on the next pitch, obviously misplaced, Hudson hits a triple.The third out was a sparkler by ALR! ALR had to go to his right, Ejax ran to cover the bag, but the grounder was so slow that ALR had to scoop it and throw it with his glove in one motion to get him out. By half a step.A nine pitch inning: three ground outs and a triple.Hey maalox folks — how's the tightrope look? ;-)

182. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM

My tv shows that the side of Jackson's foot touched the base before the runner. Good (accurate) call by the ump

183. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Werth crushes a homer!!!!!

184. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Jayson Werth! NICE

185. Corky - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Jayson Werth!!! Smack!!

186. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I've never liked calling six innings, three runs a 'quality start' (particularly as average runs per game has dropped well below five), but six innings, no runs certainly deserves that label.

187. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM

No doubt about that one!

188. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM

He just drilled that pitch!!

189. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:53 AM

finally!

190. MicheleS - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Werth crushed that.

191. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM

He's thrown 1 gem and 2 crappers so far. Why sugarcoat it? Its decent. Well, one of the crappers was just one bad 1st inning, followed by four great inning.And, in any event: I think tonight is close to qualifying as a gem, no? He's thrown six shutout innings thus far. Yes, 70 pitches first four innings, but only 20 pitches for the 5th and 6th innings.

192. djinFl. - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Well, one swing for the fences worked. One might have to do it.

193. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Cwj said… DC Wonk- Thanks :-) Yeah I personally consider it a great signing. I just didn't want to get into an argument with Gonat about GMs and $$ April 26, 2012 11:45 PM ____________________________4 starts into the season is all I am saying. Way too early to call it a GREAT signing, but I am all ears to hear why you think it was a great signing.He has had 1 complete game gem and two 5 inning clunkers and this start is a very fortunate outcome so far.Great is Stras, Gio, JZim. I would say Det has been very good.These are my opinions.

194. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM

What's kinda funny is that Werth's home run could be the game.Things might get interesting in the bottom of the 7th and 8th, we'll see.Assuming lead, I say leave in Jackson for the 7th. Mattheus for the 8th, and of course Henry for the 9th.

195. Section 222 - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM

E-Jax at 91 pitches. But looks like he'll be back for the seventh. ALR made a great play to end the 6th, but E-Jax deserves some credit too. He flat out sprinted to first and made an athletic touch of the base. I'm impressed with him tonight. Not great control, but lots of groundballs, and great work with runners on base.

196. A DC Wonk - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:58 AM

(I hope I didn't just jinx him).OK, repeat after me: he's just gotta keep his slider down, and he'll cruise through the 7th.

197. Gonat - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM

DC Wonk, the results on paper look real good tonight. The Padres are horrible. He missed his spots and has been helped by 1 WebGem and a 1 very good play by Desi. Very fortunate.

198. Scott from Burke - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Great throw by Tracy

199. Cwj - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Gonat- Understood, and I'll get back to that in a second.

200. SFNats - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM

It was pretty clear in the first couple innings that eJax didn't have his best stuff tonight. Yet here he is with a shutout in the 7th. That's professional pitching, right there.