Game 21: Nats at Dodgers

Apr 28, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper are both in the lineup tonight at Dodger Stadium.

LOS ANGELES — In the ideal world, Bryce Harper would have made his major-league debut in Washington, in front of a stadium packed with Nationals fans. But if the 19-year-old had to be unveiled on the road, this might be as good a scenario as you could have drawn up.

Harper, as promised, will bat seventh and play left field. At 19 years, 195 days, he's the youngest major leaguer since Mariners ace Felix Hernandez made his debut in 2005 at 19 years, 123 days. I don't imagine King Felix's unveiling was as big a deal at the time.

As you can see from the photo credit above, I'm coming at you live from Chavez Ravine. Plenty of updates to come before, during and after this historic game, so please check back often…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at LOS ANGELES DODGERS
Where: Dodger Stadium
Gametime: 9:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside D.C. area), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF

SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. LoveDaNats - Apr 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Go Strassie! Go Harper! GO NATS!!

2. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

And the son of Stephen's college coach in the lineup. Glad that you're there, Mark (and thanks, CSN). I took a nap and am hoping to watch in real time, but good to know that I can read updates later if I fall asleep or need to play hostess, as it turns out that my hubby invited a non-baseball-fanatic friend over tonight (What?!). :-) Go, NATS!Iconic Dodger Stadium on a Saturday night, just a short drive from Harper's hometown of Las Vegas. Stephen Strasburg, a Southern California boy himself, on the mound. And a couple of first-place clubs going head-to-head in a truly meaningful ballgame. Not bad, not bad at all.

3. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I would love for this to be the actual start but I'll take a 10 day trial and be happy.

4. sm13 - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

This is what it's all about Nats fans, the future is now! Can't wait to watch Stras to put up some zeroes and for Kid Harper to get his first knock.

5. Candide - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Okay, I plan to watch, but I'm recording it anyway.

6. JaneB - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I'm all atwitter. My 88 year old dad is napping so HE can even watch. SO SO SO glad you are there, Mark. I am wondering if you can hemp the kid out and just leave the booth for a minute or so right as he comes up. Maybe let him bat on his own the pitch time up, then help if it's needed.It will be nice, too, to know so many Imaginary Friends will be watching "with" me tonight. GYFNG! I hope you ALL feel hitterish.

7. Candide - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I feel watcherish.

8. peric - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM

AND I just hope Davey is as good as he believe he is. He is a baseball genius but there are those who happen to run other Nats blogs who believe he ruined Darryl Strawberry's career. I'm definitely at the "other pole" I believe Davey is one of the best possible to continue/help complete Bryce Harper's development. Another great possibility might be the guy managing the Dodgers today … but I think Rizzo combined with Johnson may be the best possible for Bryce Harper … hopefully all the stars are aligned properly to make that so …

9. Steady Eddie - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Bryce be hitterish….Stras be pitcherish…I be alerish (big bottle of Chimay ale my nephew got me for Hanukkah, figured it was the right occasion)Ready to GYFNG!!!!!

10. DWS - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I think that if nothing else Bryce is going jump start this team ala Jayson Werth. The hustle will rub off. I'm hoping that I'll want to watch MLBs archives more than once….

11. Candide - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Steady Eddie. I made my first batch of home-brew pale ale last month, and I can't just leave it lying around…something bad might happen to it.Drinkerish!

12. sm13 - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Davey ruined Strawberry's career? Based on what? The only one who ruined Strawberry's career was Strawberry himself. And, even with all his off-field troubles, he was still a heck of a ballplayer and a feared bat in the lineup.

13. Exposremains - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Chimay…Thats good stuff

14. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I'm all for drinkerish. I really want a complete game shutout but any kind of win will do.

15. Steady Eddie - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Chimay, indeed… No time like the present (at least, THIS present).And just printed out my tickets for Tuesday night. After having been at Stras' memorable debut, had to be at this one.

16. howl31 - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Davey managed the Mets from 1984 to 1990… in those 7 years, Strawberry went .263/.361/.521… averaging 38 homers, 109 RBIs and 29 steals per 162 games… and made the all star team 7 out of 7 years, and in the top 6 in MVP voting 3 years…If you call that a ruined career, then I can't wait to see how Davey works with Harper…

17. Grandstander - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Nice of CSN to throw down some bucks and send their beat writer to cover Byrce's debut.

18. sm13 - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

howl31 – thanks for the stats backup to my memories. I also seem to recall a world championship in there in '86 – we'll take one or more of those, too.

19. carolync - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I like your Imaginary Friends comment, JaneB. I chose to stay home alone to watch the game so have no one to share the experience with except the dog. I hope The Kid does well and that his very presence inspires some of our other hitters. Our team batting average has sunk to 26th place in MLB.I know we're still in first place in the NL East but the tomahawk chops are breathing down our necks.Go Nats!

20. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Howl31…….. Always…Always consider the source

21. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM

NatsJack.. Post of the night so far..I'm all for drinkerish.I wonder what I will crack open for the occasion?.. Hmmm must think about this..Steady Eddie.. love the hitterish and pitcherish comment!GO STRAS! GO BRYCE! GO NATS!!!WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

22. ExposedinDC - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hello fellow Nats fanatics….been away for a couple days, any new Nats news ?Lol

23. peric - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

sm13 ….The Mets have called up a kid with a left-handed swing to die for, a kid representing hope in the present and future tenses, and so the conversation naturally veers toward May 6, 1983, opening night for a slugger who had them talking before Ike Davis was born.Darryl Strawberry, 21 years old, stepped into the Shea Stadium box. At the time, the Mets were a 6-15 team lucky to draw 11,000 fans for games Tom Seaver didn't pitch."It was so nerve-racking," Strawberry said Monday by phone. "Mario Soto on the mound for the Reds, one of the top pitchers in the game. Fans cheering. The stage so much bigger and more electrifying than playing in a minor league ballpark. You've got everything going, TV cameras, the whole thing."It was Davey's decision to bring Strawberry up at at time when the Mets has desperate need. Not so much (unbelievably as that sounds to me!) the Nats of 2012. Many feel Strawberry was brought up too early, when most in the Mets organization thought he was not ready … and as you've heard more goes into that than just a player's ability. I suppose they feel Strawberry wasn't mature enough to handle the pressure of being thrust into the limelight that is New York, New York. In Bryce's case, thanks to the Redskins and Caps it will fortunately be far less so … even if he is starting in LA. I personally don't share the opinion that Davey, by overruling the Mets farm authorities, was out of line and that it perhaps led to Strawberry's downfall. However, one can't help but notice how he mentions Gooden but not Strawberry when he speaks of very young players in the minors he and his eye for talent deemed ready for the majors. Perhaps, its something a "brave" beat reporter or even fearless Boz might want to ask of the Nat's skipper?

24. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Watching D-backs and Fish and thinking it must be nice pitching for a team that can score.Ian Kennedy is 3-0 with a 3.38 era. On the Nats, he could easily be 0-3.

25. peric - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM

If you call that a ruined career, then I can't wait to see how Davey works with Harper…Howl31…….. Always…Always consider the sourceAnd NEVER listen to decrepit Florida retirees who haven't really watched baseball and stake their reputation as a "baseball expert" on hobnobbing with all the beat reporters plus some of the staff in FLA ST. Ignorance is bliss when you are wrinkled from sitting in the sun too long.During the period from 1983 to 1990, Strawberry was very popular, with his image used on action figures (Kenner's Starting Lineup), posters and banners. He was also known for his disruptive behavior. He got into a physical altercation on team picture day with team captain Keith Hernandez[6] and in the midst of a war of words with infielder Wally Backman, threatened to "bust that little redneck in the face". He often overslept and was late for, or missed, team workouts. He publicly complained about Manager Davey Johnson after he was removed from the game in a double switch during the 9th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, which the Mets would go on to win.Strawberry ended up having severe problems with both drug and alcohol addiction which led to his demise over time.

26. NatsLady - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, and Doc Gooden didn't/doesn't have drug and alcohol problems? Not sure what your

27. NatsLady - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

point is, peric. Was Gooden also brought up too soon?Might not be able to watch the whole game "real-time" but SO nice not being blacked out of MLB.tv. Great scheduling, Rizzo!–Fargo, ND

28. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Hmm.. NatsJack, when I met you, didn't see any wrinkles. Just a big smiling face of a fan who is lucky enough to get to spend all of spring training watching the team. I will take the sychophant, thank you.

29. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM

For those that are near a TV. MLB Network is going to show some of Bryce's BP.. According to Kilgore on Twitter, he is hitting BOMBS!

30. Another_Sam - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM

JaneB — I'm not 88, but I've had a couple of cups of coffee this afternoon. And I'm slowing sipping brew while watching that Baltimore club [AL baseball] waiting for the start.This is my first time posting in the new era. Took me a while.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM

As always, MicheleS, consider the source. When one has to demean others to boost their ego…..well sad is all you can feel. And yep! I love Spring Training and extended Spring Training and Fall Instructionals and my trips to DC (see you in May for the Oriole week end) and my trips to Miami (65th birthday party July 13 thru 15). And I really love meetiing all Nats Insiders.

32. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Hey Sam….I'm heading over to Gator Johns to watch "The Begining". I'll say hello.

33. waddu eye no - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM

this should be nycehope he gets on once or twyce, and follows the veterans' advyce. go brice!

34. waddu eye no - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM

btw – bourbon and maalox – with yce?

35. Candide - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Where are your seats Tuesday, Steady Eddie?

36. erocks33 - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM

So, what's the over/under for number of commenters here that will completely overreact to Bryce Harper's debut tonight? If he goes 0-for-4 with 3 K's, how many will complain that he was brought up too soon and that his development will be completely ruined?If he goes 2-4 with 1 XBH, how many will claim he's going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?All I know is I am SO excited about tonight and I know I am going to overreact no matter what his final line will be tonight, but I'm going to try my best to keep my thoughts to myself and not to post any of my irrational reactions.

37. Positively Half St. - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM

As a Mets fan from the 70s until the Nats arrived, I felt cheated when Strawberry and Gooden became cocaine addicts and failed to be lifetime Mets and Hall of Fame players. They may or may not have been brought up too soon, but they were brought up in the 80s to a team that included Keith Hernandez (whom I loved) and perhaps others who partook of the drug.I am not saying that there is nothing that Harper could be exposed to. Had it been the 90s, perhaps Strawberry and Gooden would have been on steroids. I just don't buy that their age made them doomed to falling for the peer pressure.I also don't expect that of Bryce Harper. I am far from an adherent of the Mormon church, but I do acknowledge that they have a firm and well-defined set of values that I believe would reduce the chances of those kinds of temptations felling him. PLEASE don't take that as absolute- I only mean that the philosophy and his strong family would reduce the chances.On the other hand, the kid seems pretty primed to be a victim of excessive pride. This is where Davey and the other adults need to continue their tutelage.Let's hope and pray for the best today and going forward. Every team's fans deserve a few all-time greats. Maybe Harper and Strasburg can be those.+1/2St.

38. NatsLady - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Family watching WH Correspondents' Dinner. It's my sis's birthday. Gotta go with the flow… Go Bryce, Go Stras, Go NATS!!!!!!!!

39. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM

1/2St.. you only have to look at Josh Hamilton – who did come from a strong family with deep religious/spiritual convictions – to see that there are no guarantees in life. I think the one thing we can say about the Nats, is they have at least cleared the decks of the Knuckleheads (I am talking to you Elijah, Nyjer, etc) and it appears (and I say that with firm knowledge that appearances can be deceiving) that we have a club of quality character guys.

40. Another_Sam - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Nats Jack — Wish I were with you guys. Great fun.

41. NatsLady - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

First Lady, great dress, knockout hairdo! Prez looks older, creases in his face.

42. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Maybe it's off-topic but Mark's picture reminds me that the design and layout of Chavez Ravine might be the most pristine in the big leagues. Notwithstanding a number of business trips to LA I've never taken the opportunity to veer off and get a first hand look. Someday, maybe. Gotta think of another tax-deductible reason to be in LA, though.

43. Destination.......K Street - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Mark great job on ESPN tonight.

44. jeeves - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Theophilus, is that a red-haired poodle? I have one of those and a black-haired one too–that's for contrast.

45. JaneB - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Positively Half Street — It was drugs that did them in. It was the beginning of a new kind of sports figure/celebrity, and cocaine was omnipresent at a lot of parties without fear of police. And the combination did in a lot of people. I was a die hard Mets fan then, and missed that Keith was partaking, though. But enough of the past. The future is pitching and hitting tonight. As for the comment on the over/under on too many comments about Bryce, I have to ask if you have been watching the Nats from the beginning? (INSERT GRIN HERE) Because, even if it takes a while for Bryce to fit in, tonight is a night I was reminding myself "SOMEDAY" would come, during some pretty miserable years. Me, and lots more like me. I can't wait to see what everyone says because we can't wait to see what the team does. Some day, my Prince (of OppoBoppo) will come. Well. What better day for it than a day when he debuts in Los Angeles?

46. sm13 - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Bryce showing a lot of poise in pregame interviews. If he can stay that cool after the first pitch, it could be fun.

47. Positively Half St. - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:45 AM

MicheleS-I totally agree about no guarantees, and Josh Hamilton is the best example. As a dad of 3, though, I sure hope that a strong family gives kids a better chance, although no guarantees.JaneB-Yes, you definitely captured the essence of those days. I hope we don't hear years from now that something else destructive is the vogue right now.In the end, let's all enjoy the game and hope for a victory and a hit for the kid.+1/2St.

48. ehay2k - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I am psyched for tonight. Just amazing to think of the possibilities.As for the comments posted today and tonight, a little more civility is due on all fronts. Some have taken shots at peric when none were warranted. That results in return fire aimed at everyone. Peric, "…decrepit Florida retirees…" is personal, billious, lacking any relevance to baseball, and I would suspect, should you revisit that post, beneath you. Natsjack was making a valid point about whether Strawberry's Mets career could be called bad while Davey was at the helm. Your response did nothing to counter his claim, just your appeal here.

49. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM

50. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Candide — Actually, they're in 135 row D, right next to my regular tix. Are you going?

51. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM

JaneB.. so glad you were able to convert your Dad and that he planned ahead for tonights festivities! I have got to work on my Mom.. My dad tried to convert her to baseball for 52 years, but I figure I can soften her up with a glass of wine!

52. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Wine, Chimay (whatever that is), all this bubbly talk is making me nervous. The stars are out in L.A., Mark is on the scene, the Kleig lights are on and the stage is set. But, folks, let's not forget the official drink of Nats Insiders:Bourbon and Maalox. As much of each that is necessary to get you through this historic night.I know I am starting early tonight: Barkeep! Bourbon and Maalox all around for my friends.Cheers, Go You Freaking Nats Go and, to Oppo Boppo, I hope Billingsley hangs a high slider for you early, kid. Go get 'em, kid.

53. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Peric wrote Bobby Murcer was "average at best"..the stats show he is WRONG…he must admit to his being wrong (someone one her offered me a beer when he does)..

54. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Mark posted on twitter that Ian is playing catch with Maury Wills. How awesome is that! These kids get it (even if the don't know what team their manager played for)

55. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I wanted to try to cue up Vin Scully on radio (on my iPhone) with the MASN TV feed, but it sounds like Vin is not on radio. At least not in the first innings of the game.Does anybody know when/whether Scully does some innings of radio for the Dodgers games?

56. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM

All right! There's Vin! Time to get the remote finger poised for that first ball-to-mitt sound.

57. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Enjoy Charley Steiner

58. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Oy, once again Ian taxes the starting pitcher.

59. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Steady Eddie – going with my nephew, who tipped me off to the news that Harper had been called up. We'll be in 220, which is also next to OUR* regular seats in 219.Looks like ehay2k and MicheleS are going to be there also.* "Our" = Cunegonde and me, not nephew and me…

60. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Unless Werth gets thrown out Bryce will appear in 2nd inning

61. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM

There we go. I'm less than a quarter-second off.So I'm going to be about a full minute behind what y'all comment on here. But I've got Vin Scully in my computer speakers.

62. Sunderland - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Desmond one pitch pop-out, high fastball out of the zone. Nice play by JHJ to end the inning.

63. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I don't know whether anybody else is doing what I'm doing–MLB At Bat on the iPhone, delayed video through the DVR–but man, Vin Scully is a good baseball announcer.

64. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Dave — Or you can be schizophrenic like me and have MASN muted with Vin on Gameday on my iPad.Y'know, one of the great things with this pitching staff is how much fun it is to watch on both sides of the ball. It's as good to watch Stras or Gio or JZimm — or EJax and Det when they're on — as it is to watch the hitters. More, these days without RZim or the Beast.

65. Sunderland - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Gotta say, it's early but I'm impressed with this Dodgers crowd. Loud and into the game, not late arriving and ambivalent like their reputation.

66. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM

He feeds him the DP pill!

67. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM

HERE WE GO

68. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Strasburg still facing the minimum number of batters!

69. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM

That was impressive. Stras mastering Kemp this time around.

70. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM

oh yeah, only second GIDP this season by Kemp.

71. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM

With SS on mound, I will much better facing off against Kemp and company than RD. No offense to RD.

72. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, Steady Eddie. But I had to delay the MASN picture on the DVR to make it sync up with what Vin's describing. It's funny hearing LA radio commercials while watching the W.B. Mason ads on MASN.

73. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM

For the record, I've never mentioned Strawberry or Gooden. I've only referenced the sad state of geniuses.

74. Adam - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Listening to Vin Scully call this game I've learned more about The Nationals in 2 innings than I have from an entire season of Bob & FP.

75. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It's show time… let's see some hitterishness.

76. Knoxville Nat - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Love Harper's old fashion look with the stirrups!

77. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Carlson's strike zone is silly. Two straight strikes in the exact same place to Espi, both of which were clearly outside the zone.

78. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

That was outside per Gameday.

79. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

This is wild. Vin's commentary almost seems like he's watching the MASN video feed. He comments on Bryce on deck while MASN goes to a picture of Bryce on deck.Good eye, Bryce.

80. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM

…ran out a comebacker hard… good – show the lollygaggers how to play the game.

81. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM

that first pitch was NASTY..he was on his heels after that

82. Exposremains - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM

wow these dodgers fan are idiots, what did Harper ever do to them?

83. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM

@Adam, I'll second that. Amazing how much Vin just told me about the Nats that I never knew. I never, ever heard the story of Ankiel's rough life as a kid until Vin just told me.

84. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM

show up in another team's uniform?

85. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Dave, don't keep it to yourself

86. Exposremains - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

theres a lot of players that show up in a different uniform

87. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

88. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Was that 82 mph Stras curve to Ethier nasty or what?

89. Exposremains - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:36 AM

its not like he's barry bonds

90. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Apparently Ankiel's best friend died in a car crash (or something) when he was 13 years old. Then, his dad was arrested something like 15 times between 1975 and 2000. And then, of course, the story of how he imploded as a pitcher in a playoff game, before he switched to being a hitter.I'll try to pass along other interesting tidbits as I hear them. Vin has certainly done his homework.

91. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Dodger Fans are the biggest bandwagon fans ever!

92. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I did not know how slow LaRouche is

93. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM

He already threw strike 3..wth?

94. sm13 - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Chad Tracey is smiling

95. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

MicheleS said… Vin Scully National Treasure.. What's funny for me is that Vin is about 30 seconds ahead of MASN.Thirty seconds ahead in speed. Light years ahead in context, style and grace.

96. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

umpire sucks my you know what

97. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Scott — I thought so too but Gameday showed it was high.

98. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Oopsie. Uribe hit on the elbow by a pitch. (Of course, you MASN people saw it one full minute ago…)

99. Sunderland - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I think booing Harper was appropriate. He's uber-hyped. Not sure why to expect anything else.

100. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Dodger Fans are the biggest bandwagon fans ever! The difference between going to a Wash Caps game before Ovechkin vs. today is night and day…the team almost left town years ago

101. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM

102. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I'm not listening to Bob and FP. Was MASN just now suggesting that Uribe's HBP was payback for Chad Tracy last night? Or just comparing the two incidents?

103. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM

the strike zone needs to be raised…where is the top? the belt?

104. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Why is Vin calling Ellis "A.J." when Gameday shows his name as "A.C."?Except I would tend to think that when it's Vin speaking, Gameday is wrong.

105. Exposremains - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

so because he's ultra-talented you boo him, thats ridiculous.

106. Knoxville Nat - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Mick….comments like your's are not worthy of this board. Clean it up or get out!

107. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Why is it Harper's fault that he's uber-hyped? It's not like he tweeted, "L.A. is the sux, D.C. roolz, you a-holes…" or something. Sorry – low-class to boo him.

108. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

lighten up knoxville..he DID clean it up..and when i was a litle kid my parents dragged me to knoxville for the worlds fair..and that city..well, you know

109. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Ramos went 4-for-5 in the debut with the Twins, then went 3-for-4 the very next day. (Per Vin Scully, the oracle of baseball.)

110. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Did anyone know that Wilson had 2 brothers that were catchers? It's like we have a new set of Molina brothers!

111. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM

sports tradition…boo the other teams' players..went to an O's game years ago and Reggie Jackson got DESTROYED…at least they show up.

112. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Just found out from twitter.. Poor Amanda is stuck at the White House dinner with Rizzo and they are on Rizzo's Iphone watching the game! How Hilarious is that!

113. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Desmond still swinging on the first pitch… :-(

114. Sunderland - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Great play by JHJ…

115. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Hairston, that hurts.

116. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Jerry Hairston Jr., still killing the Nats.

117. Browne Baggin' It - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

web gem

118. sm13 - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Wow, Hairston – heck of a play.

119. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Jerry Hairston, you're killing us! (That was a helluva double play, I must say.)

120. Knoxville Nat - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Scott….the world's fair was in 1982 and I'm sure the city and the whole area has changed a lot since that time. I'm only guessing as I haven't been here but just a few years.As for your boy Mick, I'll disagree with you as in my opinion his posts generally push the envelope as to good taste.

121. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Is it my imagination or is Strasburg throwing a lot of tight inside tonight?

122. waddu eye no - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM

great shot of bryce in outfield. that's a happy kid

123. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM

When Strassy lost 30 pounds between freshman and sophomore years at SD State, he picked up speed on his fastball. (Per Vin Scully, oracle of baseball.)

124. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM

who'se to judge about "good taste"…it's a baseball blog, not disney world…i would love to go to memphis and get some bbq..and visit sun studios..where Elvis becamse King..when Elvis came out people were furious because they said he was in bad taste

125. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Yikes. Did Ankiel pull up on that fly ball because Bryce was charging in so hard?

126. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM

If you are on twitter, there is some smack talk between our esteemed host, Kilgore, and Scott Miller of CBS Sports. Pretty good stuff.Wicked stike out of Kemp!

127. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Wow, is Stras making a statement tonight? Totally blowing Kemp away.

128. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Mfr. Kemp, please allow us to introduce you to a force of nature disguised as Mr. Strasburg.

129. waddu eye no - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM

elvis was a brilliant artist, ahead of his time, in a puritanical time. mick is a potty mouthed child among adults.

130. Sunderland - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM

So if we hold Kemp hitless over three games, does that mean his batting average drops to about .420?

131. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Okay.. back to FP and Carp, Vin is off the radio.

132. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM

maybe you're right

133. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Six pitches. Making the Dodger pitchers work hard again. :-(

134. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Okay, Vin's off for three innings, so I had to re-sync for Charlie and Dave.

135. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Actually, MichelleS, I think I'll do that too. Bob and FP aren't so awful.

136. skidge - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Chad Cordero on with Charlie and Dave.

137. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM

the CHIEF is on with Charlie and Dave!

138. Cwj - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Strasburg handling Kemp and Ethier very well so far.

139. Cwj - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Skidge and Michele- What is Cordero up to these days?

140. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Nice tracking by Ankiel on that Loney blast to end the 4th.

141. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Who is the best offensive player that could conceivably be moved near the trading deadline? Josh Hamilton? (contract situation..probably not) Todd Helton?

142. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I didn't get the first part of it. But I he said he will be in town 7/20. I think for a kids bball camp.I can't remember, who remember's what day he is throwing out the first pitch?

143. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Okay the Nats need to score some runs. (How many time has that been pointed out this month?)

144. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM

All I caught from the Chief was that he's here in the summer for a camp. Didn't get the first-pitch date.

145. skidge - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I follow both Chad and Charlie on Twitter, and it was fun to "see" them arranging this in real time. From Chad's earlier tweets it seems that he's very involved now in high school coaching and in fundraising for both youth baseball and SIDS research.

146. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

hey knoxville nat, just saw your pius post, who are you????

147. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM

don't lecture me pal

148. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Easy Mick

149. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

It:s at bats like that make me wonder about Espinosa. The pitch was in the dirt out of the hand.

150. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

why can't we hit

151. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM

youre free to write what you want and so is he

152. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

so is it Eckstein?

153. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM

if you want to blame someone BESIDES the hitters blame Rizzo..he is responsible for the roster..i prefer to blame the hitters..it's so immediate

154. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Scott, agreed. BTW, i was the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing, NY. I can only imagine a World's Fair in Knoxville, lol I bet they had a Deliverance display along with "The Earth is Flat and only 5000 years old" lol

155. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I've met Knoxville Nat and actually owe him an e-mail.Ligjten up Mick.

156. John - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Hate to state the obvious, but Espinosa is on the verge of becoming an automatic out. I don't want to point the finger at Eckstein, but very few of our young players have developed as hitters under his tutelage.

157. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM

I am from Flushing

158. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Hah, Vin Scully WAS right and Gameday was wrong– the MASN caption had him as "AJ Ellis".

159. mick - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Scott, cool!

160. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Warning: Billingsley can hit

161. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

The Knoxville World Fair was a legit world's fair. Knoxville is just a few miles away from the Oak Ridge Nationals Laboratory. University of Tennessee is in Knoxville.Mick, you need to give it a rest.

162. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Sorry. Oak Ridge National Laboratory.Our baseball team has nothing to do with Oak Ridge, as far as I know.

163. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I was watching Deliverance earlier today…a young Burt Reynolds was so intense

164. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Bubble Boy episode on the CW..fyi

165. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Sweet pick by Stras! He is dealing tonight.

166. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Nice ball flip after Stras catches that come-backer.So now, how about a little offense, hmm?

167. Exposremains - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:34 AM

great pitching is fun but the lack offense is kind of boring

168. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Somebody get GIO up to Pinch Hit! Who knew the best batters were the pitchers!

169. Knoxville Nat - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Knoxville was the last place Hank Williams, Sr. was ever seen. Left the Andrew Johnson Hotel in a cab, believe he was heading to Nashville but I'm not certain of that. Anyway his body was never found if I recall the story correctly.

170. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

if this was game 7 of the World Series it would be unvbelivably intense…one of the greatest pitched games in the history of the game..just saying

171. Adam - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Vin just said DJ was a bat boy for the Senators. That's fantastic.

172. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Ian ….good job.

173. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Hank dies in the back of a white cadillac (Yoakam recoded a song called White Cadillac..and its been mentioned in many songs)HANK!!!!!!!!!!!!

174. waddu eye no - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM

have stras and bo ever met before?

175. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM

you didn't know Adam. I think Davey did say when he signed up as Nats manager that for him it is like coming a full circle with his first baseball connection was being a batboy for senators. I either read it here or someone provided a link here where I read that.anyways, great to know one of our hitters is serious about winning this game. :D

176. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM

really get GIO up.

177. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Great… SS has as many total bases as the rest of the team combined…

178. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Wow a Bryce Commercial instead of an RZ or Morse commercial. Finally timely publicity for the team.

179. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Heres the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILeY6e99FAUribe looked down the line and wanted to throw home..didnt have confidence in his arm…but went ahead to first and barely got away with it

180. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

well next time SS, just hit one out of the park.

181. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Ouch. Stras makes it all the way around to third after his first double, then dies on third at the end of the inning. Sigh…

182. sm13 - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Masn had a Bryce commercial in the can, ready to go for tonight. Well done for the network we love to hate.

183. Knoxville Nat - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM

NatsJack,Yes you do! I'm waiting.

184. John - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM

The way this is going, looks like the stage is set for Harper to be the savior after all.

185. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Who's your daddy, Kemp?

186. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:45 AM

WOW — Stras vs. Kemp Round 3: Who's your Daddy?

187. Dave - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I love how Strasburg is just completely shutting Kemp down tonight.

188. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Stras is dealing..i thought J Zimm was th ebest pitche ron the staff but..um..I'm reconsidering

189. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Davey and I have had talks about his love for DC. Talks about Sherry Robertson, Calvin Griffith, and Bob Willis….. There is a connection to Washington only Davey understands and some of us love.

190. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I am not Candide.

191. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I am Spartacus!

192. NatsLady - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I don't know which was worse, Jimmy Fallon's material or his delivery.Anything happening here? Game is zip-zip?

193. FS=Faraz Shaikh - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

MarkZ please stop praising SS. Last time I remember you did that, he faltered in the next inning against the Astros I think.

194. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM

ALR!!!! I love me some ADAM!!!!

195. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM

LaRoche!!!

196. Steady Eddie - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I was just about to write — LaRoche and Ankiel or BHarp need to smack solo dingers to give Stras the CG win, and ….

197. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Mark.. leave the press box please. we need more runs.

198. Candide - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:55 AM

C'mon Harp… think hitterish!

199. Scott from Burke - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200. MicheleS - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Okay.. They are doing the wave and some DBAG just mooned us.