Apr 29, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper's leaping catch at the fence wasn't enough to lift the Nationals.
Game in a nutshell: Needing a win to avoid a series sweep and a four-game losing streak, the Nationals were done in again by a tepid lineup. Playing without Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse or Jayson Werth, they were shut out on four hits by Dodgers starter Chris Capuano and two relievers. Gio Gonzalez matched Capuano for five innings but was done in by shaky control in the sixth and wound up with his first loss of the season. Thus, for the first time since April 11, the Nationals are no longer in sole possession of first place. They're now tied with the Braves atop the NL East at 14-8.
Hitting highlight: Tyler Moore's first career hit came in his second career at-bat. The rookie left fielder poked a solid single to right-center in the top of the fifth to officially put himself in baseball's all-time register. Bryce Harper, meanwhile, recorded his second career hit: a single to right in the seventh off left-hander Capuano.
Pitching lowlight: Gonzalez may have established a new Nationals record with 25 consecutive scoreless innings, but he was by no means sharp during today's outing. After walking only four total batters over his last three outings, the left-hander issued five free passes in sixRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos