Apr 29, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper's leaping catch at the fence wasn't enough to lift the Nationals.
Game in a nutshell: Needing a win to avoid a series sweep and a four-game losing streak, the Nationals were done in again by a tepid lineup. Playing without Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse or Jayson Werth, they were shut out on four hits by Dodgers starter Chris Capuano and two relievers. Gio Gonzalez matched Capuano for five innings but was done in by shaky control in the sixth and wound up with his first loss of the season. Thus, for the first time since April 11, the Nationals are no longer in sole possession of first place. They're now tied with the Braves atop the NL East at 14-8.
Hitting highlight: Tyler Moore's first career hit came in his second career at-bat. The rookie left fielder poked a solid single to right-center in the top of the fifth to officially put himself in baseball's all-time register. Bryce Harper, meanwhile, recorded his second career hit: a single to right in the seventh off left-hander Capuano.
Pitching lowlight: Gonzalez may have established a new Nationals record with 25 consecutive scoreless innings, but he was by no means sharp during today's outing. After walking only four total batters over his last three outings, the left-hander issued five free passes in sixRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett