Werth misses game with severe migraines

Apr 30, 2012, 12:24 AM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth was a late scratch from today's game due to severe migraines.

LOS ANGELES — Already playing without their regular No. 3 and No. 4 hitters, the Nationals lost their No. 5 hitter before today's series finale when Jayson Werth reported to Dodger Stadium with what manager Davey Johnson called "severe migraines."

Werth said he felt fine when he woke up in his hotel room but was in considerable pain upon arriving at the ballpark about three hours before first pitch.

"When I told the doctor my symptoms, he said that it was a classic migraine," the veteran outfielder said. "It's surprising. I was fine when I woke up. As soon as I got here, I didn't feel so hot."

Werth did say he progressed somewhat as the day advanced, and by the seventh inning he was in uniform and in the dugout in case JohnsonRead more ยป

1. natsfan1a - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

2. natsfan1a - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Thanks, Mark, and safe travels back to DC. Thanks as well to CSN for sending you out for the debut(s). I think the kids are gonna be fun to watch.

3. peric - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Losing 4 in a row or not they are doing all the right things. Bringing up the youth to see what they've got, something Riggleman often seemed determined to block even as the losses piled up. Have to admit (and wondering if others have thought this) I am a bit fearful that Davey might look at Hagerstown where there's a guy who already has 30 RBI … and he also has a left-handed bat … you never know … ;) nahhh he won't go there will he?

4. MicheleS - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Migraines are not fun, I hope he can play on tuesday. I know from experience that light can be one of the things that bothers you the most if you have a migraine. Get well!

5. naterialguy - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Get well Jayson

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Jayson has contributed well this year. Get the rest, and hope to see you in right on Tuesday. Interesting picture at the top with Werth in the shade. Never had a migrain in all my years, but my daughter use to often, and she tells me the light is a killer during them.

7. skidge - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Has Werth had an issue with migranes before? My husband started getting them at about that age, and it was totally debilitating until he found the right med…

8. SonnyG10 - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Hope you're feeling better now, Jayson. We need you.

9. JaneB - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Migraines are no joke. I hope they an give him the right meds, so h e has them handy!

10. JaneB - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Terrific photo for the story, too.

11. Scooter - May 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yes, the picture was a great choice.