May 1, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is eligible to come off the disabled list Sunday.
Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman began throwing and taking groundballs today for the first time since going on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation, and the Nationals are hoping he'll be ready to return Sunday when he's eligible.
Brad Lidge, meanwhile, had surgery today in Philadelphia to repair a sports hernia, a procedure that should sideline the veteran reliever about one month.
Zimmerman, who last played April 20, has remained with the club for the last week and today started participating in pregame fielding drills for the first time. He won't be cleared to start hitting until later in the week, but that won't necessarily keep the Nationals from activating him off the 15-day DL when he becomes eligible on Sunday.
"I'd activate him right away," manager Davey Johnson said with a laugh. "That'll be up to Zim, see how he's feeling. In talking to theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5