May 1, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is eligible to come off the disabled list Sunday.
Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman began throwing and taking groundballs today for the first time since going on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation, and the Nationals are hoping he'll be ready to return Sunday when he's eligible.
Brad Lidge, meanwhile, had surgery today in Philadelphia to repair a sports hernia, a procedure that should sideline the veteran reliever about one month.
Zimmerman, who last played April 20, has remained with the club for the last week and today started participating in pregame fielding drills for the first time. He won't be cleared to start hitting until later in the week, but that won't necessarily keep the Nationals from activating him off the 15-day DL when he becomes eligible on Sunday.
"I'd activate him right away," manager Davey Johnson said with a laugh. "That'll be up to Zim, see how he's feeling. In talking to theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?