May 2, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
When Bryce Harper smoked a fifth-inning pitch from Trevor Cahill back up the middle and through the Diamondbacks right-hander's legs, he assumed (like everyone else at Nationals Park last night) he had just recorded the third base hit of his career.
And then shortstop John McDonald appeared out of nowhere to scoop up the ball behind second base and make a routine throw to first to get Harper by a step.
"I was pretty upset," Harper said. "I hit it through his legs and I was reading base hit, and he just played me up the gut and got me. … Nothing I could do about it."
What happened? Credit the Diamondbacks' advance scouting department for knowing exactly where to position McDonald. The word is out: Harper is a pull-hitter. And until he proves otherwise, opposingRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles