May 2, 2012, 1:44 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann gave up a season-high three earned runs.
Game in a nutshell: Bryce Harper's home debut neither brought out the fans (official paid attendance was a disappointing 22,675) nor brought the Nationals' lineup out of his ever-growing funk. Shut out by Diamondbacks starter Trevor Cahill until the eighth inning, the Nats continued their recent run of tepid performances at the plate. Harper did hit the ball hard twice but was victimized by some well-positioned Arizona infielders and wound up 0-for-3. He also fired a perfect, 300-foot strike to the plate but just narrowly missed nailing John McDonald. Losers of five straight now, the Nationals are now 14-9.
Hitting lowlight: Pretty much everyone in the lineup qualifies for this. The Nationals are doing nothing at the plate these days. Zilch. Zero. Nada. The worst moment of the night, though, came in the bottom of the sixth. With a potential rally actually in the works after Ian Desmond and Steve Lombardozzi singled, Rick Ankiel (plugged into the No. 3Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win