May 2, 2012, 1:44 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann gave up a season-high three earned runs.
Game in a nutshell: Bryce Harper's home debut neither brought out the fans (official paid attendance was a disappointing 22,675) nor brought the Nationals' lineup out of his ever-growing funk. Shut out by Diamondbacks starter Trevor Cahill until the eighth inning, the Nats continued their recent run of tepid performances at the plate. Harper did hit the ball hard twice but was victimized by some well-positioned Arizona infielders and wound up 0-for-3. He also fired a perfect, 300-foot strike to the plate but just narrowly missed nailing John McDonald. Losers of five straight now, the Nationals are now 14-9.
Hitting lowlight: Pretty much everyone in the lineup qualifies for this. The Nationals are doing nothing at the plate these days. Zilch. Zero. Nada. The worst moment of the night, though, came in the bottom of the sixth. With a potential rally actually in the works after Ian Desmond and Steve Lombardozzi singled, Rick Ankiel (plugged into the No. 3Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2