Game 25: Diamondbacks at Nats

May 3, 2012, 7:34 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats, with Bryce Harper hitting third, try to make it two in a row tonight.

Well, Davey Johnson said it was probably time to move Bryce Harper up in the lineup, and he wasn't kidding. Check out tonight's batting order … yep, the kid is hitting third for the Nationals. In the fifth game of his career. At age 19. On a first-place club.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense. With Ryan Zimmerman out, Johnson doesn't have any real viable options to bat third. He's been using everyone from Danny Espinosa to Rick Ankiel to Chad Tracy. And not wanting to screw around with his 4-5 combo of Adam LaRoche and Jayson Werth, it only makes sense to bump Harper all the way up to the 3-hole.

As for tonight's game in general, Ross Detwiler looks to bounce back from the first semi-ragged start of his season. He and the Nationals face a stiff challenge in Ian Kennedy, a 21-game winner last year and already 3-0 this year.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 5 mph RF to LF

SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche RF Jayson Werth

1. Tcostant - May 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Third in the order – THANK YOU DJ!Major news –>http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/bryce-harper-is-batting-third-for-the-nationals-tonight/Hurry!5 runs tonight!

2. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Davey is really telling everybody "Here he is!".

3. MicheleS - May 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I will be at the game tonight and I think my tickets are in Left Field somewhere, so I have a feeling I am going to be HIGHLY entertained!!This is going to be fun to watch!

4. JamesFan - May 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I would like to see them flip Desi and Lombo in the order and use Moore in left.I doubt Harper will see any of those inside pitches he blasted last night.

5. Pilchard - May 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Would be curious to know the last time a 19 year-old batted 3rd in a MLB game. Would guess Junior for Seattle 24 years ago. A once in a generation type of talent (and a weak offensive team).

6. Section 222 - May 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Love it. And why the heck not? It's pretty clear he's not intimidated by anything. Given the state of our roster, this is probably the best lineup we have against a RHP. Unfortunately, Kennedy is one of the best RHPs in the National League. Let's hope Harper can do some damage.Someone commented in the last thread that there is discussion on some baseball blogs about whether Harper ran through a stop sign on that play at the plate. As NatsLady said, absolutely not. Bo Porter was sending him all the way. It was a surprising move since the Ramos's hit barely got behind the 2B. Watching the replay though, I kind of wonder if Bo had put up a stop sign whether Harper would or could have stopped. He was really flying around the base. It was beautiful to behold.

7. natsfan1a - May 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Also "here we come."Go, DET! Go, NATS!! Would be great to have another half game on the Phillies before they come to town (and stay up on the Braves, natch).NatsJack in Florida said… Davey is really telling everybody "Here he is!". May 03, 2012 3:35 PM

8. Ron In Reston - May 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Poor Detwiler can't get a break. Last start, Clayton Kershaw, reigning Cy Young winner. This start, Ian Kennedy, runner-up to Kershaw. What's a #5 starter gotta do to get to face say, Randy Wolf?

9. sm13 - May 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Agree Natsjack. Davey is playing the hot hand. He only has to worry about the 3 -hole for a few more games, so why not put the kid there and roll the dice (Vegas pun intended).

10. sm13 - May 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

222 – pretty clear from the replay that Porter sent him all the way. Porter is an aggressive 3rd base coach and has seemed even more aggressive all this year. Sure beats the bad memories of "stop sign" Pat Listach. Bo is gonna make a great manager very soon.

11. TheManBearPig - May 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I wonder how much Davey will shuffle the batting order.There's something interesting about Werth's batting stats during 2011 and, especially, so far in 2012. You would expect most hitters to be better with runners on base than with bases empty, because, if for no other reason, the pitcher doesn't have to worry about holding a runner. This seems to be true of most of the Nats. Werth is an exception: his at bats are more productive with the bases empty than with runners on base. His OBP was pretty much the same with runners on or bases empty during 2011 but his SLG was much higher with bases empty. In 2012 (maybe sample size is too small), he's been much better in all categories with bases empty, with an OPS of 1.001. Desmond, Espinosa, RZim, LaRoche (based on 2012 only) and Ramos (in 2012, but not in 2011 — rookie jitters maybe?) are all better with runners on base. Is it time to make Werth the Nats leadoff hitter and to give Desmond more opportunities with runners on base?

12. NatsNut - May 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I crack up when people say Harper has been playing HIS WHOLE LIFE… or he's been working to get to this level HIS WHOLE LIFE. First of all, his whole life hasn't been very long. Second, what baseball player hasn't? Anyway, I hope, like the other 4 starters have done for Strasburg, that we have such a potent lineup someday that Harper becomes just another donkey too.

13. Ron In Reston - May 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

From last night: peric said… 14 wins in April. Hopefully, repeated in May. Guess we'll see … certainly if Harper and Stras have anything to say about it … more than 14. Um, I certainly hope we do not repeat 14 wins in May. We played 22 games in April, 14-8 was fine. We play 28 games in May, 14-14 is not fine. Winning 14 games a month for 6 months translates to a pedestrian 84 wins, which is not what this team can produce, especially given the pitching talent. Obviously the hitting has to come around, and maybe the Harperspark is doing the trick (though Ramos' and Ankiel's at-bats after his double in the 9th certainly didn't show it). The return of Zim (with the dumping of Nadir, er Nady) should be a significant benefit, as will the return of Morse which, while anxiously anticipated, doesn't seem quite as urgent given what Harper is doing. I'd rather he take his time coming back so there is no chance of him going back on the DL, than have him come back because we're in a slump and then he's out the rest of the season.

14. Sean - May 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Pilchard – BJ Upton did it for the (Devil) Rays

15. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Better than Nady, sheesh. MLB Network says Bryce in the 3 hole as the possible preview to Bryce sliding into the 2 hole when Zim comes back.

16. SonnyG10 - May 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Really hope Bryce rakes in the third hole tonight. This should guarantee he does not get sent back down to AAA.

17. Ann Ominous - May 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

"I crack up when people say Harper has been playing HIS WHOLE LIFE… or he's been working to get to this level HIS WHOLE LIFE. First of all, his whole life hasn't been very long. Second, what baseball player hasn't?"Nyjer Morgan. Although I will accept all arguments that claim he's not a baseball player.

18. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Bryce coming up on MLB Network

19. Ann Ominous - May 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

"Someone commented in the last thread that there is discussion on some baseball blogs about whether Harper ran through a stop sign on that play at the plate. As NatsLady said, absolutely not. Bo Porter was sending him all the way."Porter's arm was windmilling so fast they could have hooked him to the power grid and increased the ballpark's LEED rating.

20. Tcostant - May 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Pilchard this was in the link I posted:"The last 19-year-old to bat third in a big-league game? B.J. Upton, who did so once in 2004. And before that it was Andruw Jones in 1996 and Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989."

21. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

@MicheleS: Great choice of location. Enjoy!

22. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

If this lineup order doesn't tell you that Grandpa Davey is in it to win it this year — right here and right now — than nothing will. When you're 69, there's no more five-year plans. The future is now. Pedal to the metal. Now, really, the Best 25 Have Come North (with Kristina!)

23. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

They are saying on MLB Network that after his game he was surrounded by 70 media members. Really? Is that accurate?

24. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Ron in Reston: Well, at least Detwiler missed Joe Blanton.

25. NCNatsie - May 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Ron in Reston said, "Detwiler can't get a break. Last start, Clayton Kershaw, reigning Cy Young winner. This start, Ian Kennedy, runner-up to Kershaw. What's a #5 starter gotta do to get to face say, Randy Wolf?"Det's whole problem is the rainout against the Fish on Apr 22. Stras had pitched the night before, so everybody else moved down a notch viz the other teams. Since Det is #5, for him moving down meant moving from the other team's #5 to their #1. In a few more weeks the whole set of matchups will become increasingly scrambled, but right now, unless the other team has also had a rainout or some other anomoly, Det's facing their #1, Stras the #2, Gio the #3 and so on.

26. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Post of the day nominee to Ann Onimous for:Porter's arm was windmilling so fast they could have hooked him to the power grid and increased the ballpark's LEED rating.

27. Section 222 - May 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Nyjer Morgan. Although I will accept all arguments that claim he's not a baseball player.Porter's arm was windmilling so fast they could have hooked him to the power grid and increased the ballpark's LEED rating. Ba-dum-bump! You're on fire Ann Ominous.

28. JD - May 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Ian Kennedy is hitable; not your classic ace.If Harper is really ready (sorry it takes more than 4 games to convince me); batting 2nd ahead of Zim sounds pretty good to me. In fact I'd do: Werth, Harper,Zim, Laroche, Morse,Espinosa, Desmond, Ramos. Now this will start to look like something of a major league lineup.

29. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=4155Benching Espinosa? He might be sent down to AAA to work on his swing or at least get back in a groove. Danny needs to play almost every day somewhere.I really think he needs to visit 'Cuse unless he can quickly figure it out. I also think Nady needs to go to 'Cuse as he isn't even a great defender. Basically a RH pinch-hitter.I know some say Corey Brown, that would mean lefties Ankiel, BHarp, Bernadina, and CBrown. That's a lot of lefties + you have Chad Tracy on the bench.I think Corey is a victim of too many lefties up right now.

30. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

JD said… Ian Kennedy is hitable; not your classic ace.If Harper is really ready (sorry it takes more than 4 games to convince me); batting 2nd ahead of Zim sounds pretty good to me. In fact I'd do:Werth, Harper,Zim, Laroche, Morse,Espinosa, Desmond, Ramos.Now this will start to look like something of a major league lineup. May 03, 2012 4:47 PM ___________________________Desi, Harper, Zim, Morse, LaRoche, Werth, Lombo/Espi, Ramos

31. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Don't count your Morse's until they bat. Moore is up for a reason.

32. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

NatsLady, Morse is publicly saying June. He sounds very optimistic. I see it more than 1/2 full. No buzzkill NatsLady.

33. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Marmol (ERA 6.23) didn't get the blown save, the poor slob (Dolis) who came after him with the bases loaded let an inherited runner score and got it. However, Dolis also took the loss for giving up a run in the 10th so my pity for him only goes so far. The Cubs are keeping Marmol in the closer's job til they get here, right?

34. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

NatsLady, I don't disagree but if Moore is really in the plans why isn't he playing?

35. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Hey, Zim said for a week he felt fine and was going to play the next game, and the next game, and the next game. Then he went on the DL. No buzzkill, just…tempering my Brycie-mania with caution.

36. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Gonat, I am sorry; Desmond and his .303 career OBP cannot be the long term solution at leadoff.

37. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

NatsLady, Your caution is well placed. As I said in the past we are pretty big trouble if we don't get Morse back at some point. If Harper is what he has been the past 4 days then the loss of Morse is somewhat mitigated. A loss of Zim long term cannot be absorbed so I really hope he comes back on Tuesday.

38. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

His career isn't hitting leadoff, he's doing that now. Which is not to say it'll be better, just, that's who they've got. Maybe he'll get better. But they are in first place with him leading off, now.

39. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

JD, good question. Obviously, they would prefer to have Morse both hitting and playing, so there is no rush to put Moore in a position he has never played at the ML level (OK, once).If Morse doesn't come back in June, they will limp along with Moore DH'ing and give Morse more time. If Morse projects to be out beyond interleague, then you will see Moore taking reps in LF. That would be my plan, given that we don't really know how long it will take Morse to heal.

40. A DC Wonk - May 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I doubt Harper will see any of those inside pitches he blasted last night. Agreed. And I hope Harper is ready for that.Do I hear . . . yes, I do . . . in the distance, it's getting louder . . . listen . . . !it's oppo boppo time!

41. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Agree. Zim is the next thing to irreplaceable, as we saw last year. If a couple of extra days are what he needs, fine. Honestly, I foresee he will be getting cortizone shots and at least one more 15-day DL stint this season, intermixed with his usual excellent play. I think they will try to time it so he is at his best in September-October, and he will have some kind of surgery/rehab in the fall.

42. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Sound, They are in 1st place because of pitching not because Desmond is leading off. With Zim and Morse out I understand that you have to keep Werth somewhere near the middle of the lineup but with a full compliment why not hit Werth who gets on base on a .360 clip leadoff?

43. Sean - May 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

LaRoche scratched for Tracy…YAY!

44. Tom in AR - May 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Two hole makes sense to me.Desmond (r)Harper (l)Zim (r)Morse (r)LaRoche (l)Werth (r)Espinosa (s)Ramos (r)PitcherMan I like that line-up.

45. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I have to say that I am beginning to support the idea of sending Espinosa down to see if he can straighten out his stroke; he is also not playing great defense.

46. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Really? Now THAT I don't understand. Why wouldn't Moore play first if LaRoche wants/needs a day off?_________________________________________LaRoche scratched for Tracy…

47. Tom in AR - May 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Because Tracy is left handed, I suppose, but I would rather see Moore get a chance.

48. JD - May 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

NatsLady, They wouldn't scratch LaRoche last minute for rest would they? I am thinking: illness/injury. I checked Kennedy's L/R splits and he doesn't seem to be much better against righties so yeah I don't get it other than Davey likes to give his pinch hitters some games so they stay sharp.

49. Tom in AR - May 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I bet he comes in on a double switch when they get to the bull-pen.

50. bowdenball - May 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well, Tracy is a lefty.Of course he also has an OPS of .405 on the year. Think about that. Four. Oh. Five. That's not his OBP or his SLG. That's both of them added together.

51. m20832 - May 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Ok, what is "right oblique soreness"? And how serious is it?

52. Section 222 - May 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Maybe Davey wants to "get Tracy going" like he said about Nady yesterday.I agree that there is every reason to be cautious about when Morse will return. I disagree that Moore's being called up tells us anything about that at all. Davey wanted some offense off the bench when DeRosa was injured, and once Harper was called up the best available option was Moore.

53. TheManBearPig - May 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

JD, ditto re: Werth as lead off. He was better with bases empty than with runners on in 2011 and even more so now – so far in 2012, his OPS with bases empty is over 1.000. Everyone else in the Nats lineup, except Ankiel, is a better hitter with runners on base than with bases empty. Making Werth the lead off hitter might just ripple through the whole lineup.

54. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Right oblique soreness? ……Wouldn't have anything to do with that stupid base stealing attempt last night coupled with the awkward slide ?

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

LaRoche, unreal. Let's hope he is ok. This oblique stuff is becoming epidemic.

56. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I don't think Davey will swap Werth and Desi. Ian likes leading off. Werth doesn't (tried it last year and he was REALLY uncomfortable). Stats say one thing, but personalities say another.

57. Eugene in Oregon - May 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Surely, with the regular number three, four, and five hitters out, no one would object if the rest of the line-up (minus Harper, maybe) used corked bats?

58. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Uh, oh – what the heck is up with these guys? LaRoche now? Let's hope the organization is just being super cautious. According to Ray Knight- in his day they just played through these things. ( snark snark)

59. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Longoria, the Panda, Braun — Yikes – it's contagious!

60. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM

In Ray Knights day they were built like Livan Hernandez, not Hulk Hogan.

61. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I have been kind of worried about LaRoche playing every day after being out for nearly a year. I hope it's a short rest and not one of those things that magnifies as the days go on.

62. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The D-Backs are the best overall hitting team the Nats have faced. Go get em Ross!

63. Exposremains - May 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Carpenter: "Everytime you have a guy like Ramos hitting 8, you have a pretty powerful lineup". This guy is amazing.

64. Exposremains - May 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I've never seen an appeal that goes for the team appealing.

65. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

And now Mariano Rivera goes down, too.

66. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Expos….I was thinking the same thing….Carp goes over the top with BS like that.

67. whatsanattau - May 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

was that a first pitch double from Werth?

68. Eugene in Oregon - May 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Re Carpenter: That's what he's paid to do — it's what happens when the entity being covered gets to hire the media doing the reporting.

69. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

McCutchen has the stomach flu. What happened to Braun, I can't keep up.

70. Fear and Ignorance - May 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Espinosa should have been bunting. He SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When is Davey going to wake up?

71. whatsanattau - May 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Stop it.

72. whatsanattau - May 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

There's your run. Go get em.

73. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

74. Exposremains - May 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Natsjack, I dont know if Carpenter is trying to boost ratings but I feel a little insulted when he says things like that and usually its at least once a game.

75. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

NatsLady – Braun, achilles. The injuries in mlb are mounting daily, keeping many surgeons in luxury cars.

76. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Saw the Mariano Rivera article. Classy guy, looks bad for him.

77. NatsLady - May 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Carp confusing Toronto with the Twins. Hello, Weaver's no hitter was against the Twins. I know, both AL teams from the North that start with "T" easy to mix them up. NOT.

78. baseballswami - May 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

True, true. Along with the injuries there seems to be an epidemic of closers imploding. Marmol, Heath Bell not so good, Wilson DL. Even the Braves closer blew one last night. Not a good start of the season for closers. Can anyone tell if Detweiler doesn't have good command or if he isn't getting the calls? I don't have a good enough eye for that.

79. Gonat - May 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… No….Espi gets to 2-0 count (the ultimate hitters count) and takes an 88 mph cookie in his wheelhouse. Eventually swings at a pitch up and away, out of the zone, for strike 3.Sad. May 03, 2012 7:37 PM _____________________________Read Mark's new post on Espi. He knows AAA is a real possibility.Davey could have helped him by putting on the bunt. He's hitting like a pitcher unfortunately. Chance of a LH hit for Espi in that situation probably 1 for 7 or lower.

80. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Isn't Tyler Moore natural first baseman? Hopefully he will get some starts while Adam is out? For however long that might be?

81. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Gonat…..All the bunts in the world aren't going to make Espi see the ball better from the left side.I did see a slightly shorter swing on the foul ball down the RF line.

82. MicheleS - May 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I am sitting in the section where people are trying to start the wave. I am going to shoot myself

83. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

MicheleS….got into a huge bruhaha with a 20 something trying to start the wave the day we chatted.Needless to say….I won but later Terrance got one going in the lower deck.Again….Sad.

84. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

No, shoot the wave-starters…

85. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

…and then put your revolver in the hand of one of the dead so you don't get arrested for having a gun in DC…

86. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

That was just extreme – hilarious – but over the top!

87. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I have an off the wall idea that may raise Espi's average 70 points, hee hee. I remember back in 1969, Ted Williams corrected Eddie Brinkman's approach to the ball and Eddie went from a meager 220 hitter to 290 in one season! So… my idea is to hire Fritz from the original Frankenstein movie and have him rob old Ted's grave, then take his corpse to Dr. Henry von Frankenstein, Dr. F will have to re attach old Ted's head to his body but then, after the electoral storm needed to pull this off, after Dr F screams, its alive, its alive, ah ha ha ha, then we take the resurrected Ted to meet Danny and all will be well. I have entirely too much time on my hands, LOLMay 03, 2012 8:26 PM

88. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Bad call by the ump on what should have been a K becomes a run

89. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM

You can own a gun in DC….Congress over ruled the people's voice

90. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Anybody say bunt?

91. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

unreal

92. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Bryce is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

93. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

unbelievable

94. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Ok, that was out of this league, I.e. Harp reaching third on the play.

95. UnkyD - May 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Who is this Kid?! (tell me….. stirrups, or PJs, tonight?)

96. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

jeffwx said…You can own a gun in DC….Congress over ruled the people's voiceNo, the Supreme Court said the Second Amendment applies to DC, just as it does to the rest of the country.And in response, the DC council has put so many legal hurdles in the way of actually owning a gun in DC that it is effectively almost impossible to own one in DC legally. That's the subject of further litigation.Okay, enough politics/social issues. How about The Kid?

97. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Even that Poopy scumbucket has got to br shaking his head.

98. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

99. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Anybody say bunt? May 03, 2012 8:38 PM __________________________And a nice bunt and Bryce says the heck with a Sac Fly, he went oppo double

100. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Candide…..as someone that resides in Florida…that makes me want to live in DC.

101. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Pjs

102. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Heh… anyone think they're going to keep shifting on Harper after he made that cue-ball shot down the LF line?

103. ehay2k - May 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Mark Z must be changing a diaper, so for the play by play needy: Desmond doubles, Espi racks up another K but with a decent at bat and questionable strkie zone, Bryce drives in Desmond, then goes to 3rd on Werth's groundout to first. Tracy flies out to end the inning.

104. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

sm13 said… Great approach by the Kid – he went up there with the idea of going to left field to drive in the run from 3rd, just like he did in L.A. He's had some good coaching over the years. May 03, 2012 8:44 PM _____________________________Not sure what you mean. If the ball was on the inside he would have pulled it. He went with where the ball was pitched and that was a professional hit.

105. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Carp giving props to Mark Zuckerman!

106. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Our fearless leader just got a great shout out by Carp and JP.

107. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

HEY! Good for Mark Z for the mention, and a good one it was, by the TV guys!

108. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Glad McCatty is out there. Detwiler has to get deeper into games. Pitched a beauty up to now and didn't get some calls.

109. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Its about time Mark Z gets his recognition!

110. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

now, back to the job…. Fritz, you idiot that is abnormal brain, not Abby's brain ughhhh

111. phil dunton - May 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

The gems that Rizzo fished out or the dumpster in Jan-Feb, Tracy. Nady, and DeRosa, have 13 hits in 120 at bats for a BA of .108!

112. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Candide….you're right…don't bring up politics or religion in a baseball blog.I'm greatful that the Nats have some guns for arms in the OF

113. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Gonat – he fouled the first one off down the left field line. I think he was looking for a pitch to hit the other way. We can agree to disagree and just enjoy the ride.

114. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

phil dunton lolololol well said

115. MicheleS - May 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

What did they say about Mark?

116. ehay2k - May 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Nice outing by Ross. 19 outs. Tough strike zone with nothing on the outer half (from the pitcher's view) being called. Lots of inner half strikes were actually balls, but it was a consistent call.

117. mick - May 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM

nice job by Ross, now once again pressure on our bull pen, unless we get some more runs!

118. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Capt Nats Jack…soon you'll be able to get high tonight (borrowed from Billy Joel) in DC…another reason to move to DC

119. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM

MichelleS- they gave credit for his tweet about how long its been since we had a 3 batter knock in a run. And talked about how psyched Mark was to be in L.A. on Saturday.

120. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

sm13 he let the ball get deeper in the zone and then inside outed it oppo. That was professional hitting. With his bat speed, he can do what others can't.

121. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM

good inning for Matthues

122. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

need 1 more run

123. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

oh I'm so lonely spending half my life on this blog…glad I don't own a gun…might go postal

124. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I can't bare to watch Espinoza again, oh death where is thy sting, lol

125. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM

sm13 – Did you just hear what FP just said. Exactly what I wrote 4 minutes ago

126. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM

and they ask me why I drink

127. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM

mick, I want the Nats to get 3 more runs!

128. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM

jeffwx lol

129. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM

That s one nasty 5-6-7 murderer's row…and without guns for bats

130. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Wow… F.P. really talking some trash about Phillies fans…

131. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Yay Danny did not strike out!!! :PNice to see we are leading. Go Nats!!!

132. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Gonat…. you think we'll get 3 more runs? and they say I drink too much, lol

133. John - May 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I will refrain from knocking Danny…I swear.

134. jeffwx - May 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I would be glad to know which is worst, to be ravished a hundred times by Negro pirates, to have one buttock cut off, to run the gauntlet among the Bulgarians, to be whipped and hanged at an auto-da-fe, to be dissected, to be chained to an oar in a galley; and, in short, to experience all the miseries through which every one of us hath passed, or to remain here on this blog so long doing nothing?""This," said Candide, "is a grand question."

135. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM

until Zim and Morse are back in the infamous words of I have no idea who, "we is what we is" lol

136. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM

8:44 p.m. — Bryce Harper, ladies and gentlemen! He does it again, lacing an RBI double down the left-field line to score Ian Desmond (who also doubled to lead off the sixth). A really nice piece of hitting from Harper, who showed some impressive bat control. And that, by the way, was the first RBI from the Nationals' starting No. 3 hitter since Ryan Zimmerman's homer against the Astros on April 19, 11 games ago. Nats 2, D'backs 1 as we go to the seventh.________________________________This was the post by Mark that Carp was referring to.I guess the boys in the booth read Mark's tweets or this blog.

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I normally don't break out the bourbon and Maalox when Clippard's on the mound. But Charlie just mentioned Clipp's ERA: 5.40. Eeeeeek!!!Barkeep! Bourbon and Maalox all around for my friends. Anybody nervous? Anybody thirsty?

138. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Glad that wasn't a Kotsay type of LH matchup for Clip. I don't think he ever wants to see him again.

139. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Sunshine, with every out, Clip's ERA will drop about 15 to 17 points per out.

140. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM

jeffwx a philospher, hee hee

141. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Ump blows 3rd pitch. That wasn't even on the black.

142. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM

yes sir Clip!!!!

143. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

please, 1 more run guys, I'm begging ya!

144. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Sunshine – Yep, Clip's ERA dropped 49 points in that inning at .1633 per out. Now at 4.91!!!!!!

145. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM

jeffwx, that made my day, i learned a new term "Dumpster Gems" lol

146. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

@Gonat: thanks for making me feel better. That eighth inning was painless.Anybody need a bourbon and Maalox to go with MPH Rod in the ninth?

147. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

and speaking of dumpster gems, look whose up, the jewel of the dumpster, lol

148. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Need another Nats run or 2. Closer gets Upton, Kubel (lefty), Goldschmidt for the 9th.I'd go with Stammen myself as my closer tonight, but that just me.

149. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

hell, I will need grain alcohol for the 9th

150. mick - May 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

please now, no DP, we need Bryce up one more time

151. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

mick, total jinx by you. Unreal.

152. phil dunton - May 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Tums and Valium time!

153. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Another Kardiac Kids night. Here we go. Come on Henry!!!

154. Exposremains - May 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM

easy to secong guess but thats why you bunt

155. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Grain alcohol, Tums, Valium…This is my kind of Nats Town!Go, Henry, Go. It's that little white thing you're aiming for.

156. TimDz - May 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Here's to "good Henry"

157. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It's a good omen when Henry's 1st pitch doesn't go to the backstop.

158. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM

That ball that Upton flied out on missed by 1 glove length. Luckily it had movement because it was center cut.

159. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Thank you Henry because I didn't want to say I told you so!Great win!!!! Kardiac Kids!!!!So glad to give Kennedy a "L"

160. JaneB - May 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I love them all the time, but it makes me especially happy when they win, I love the sub horn.

161. TimDz - May 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM

That'll do, Henry….That'll do…GYFNG…PFB…

162. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Winning streak!

163. NatsLady - May 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Oh, Henry, I love you. And Clip, and Ryan Mattheus, and Ross Detwiler, and Danny (yes, Danny! some nice D there)… Oh, I love you all!

164. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM

And the Nats juggernaut continues to steamroll the opposition.

165. UnkyD - May 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Henry. Yessss….

166. Candide - May 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

What, NL, no love for Harper?

167. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

SteveM…..you have to say….Detwiler is suprising you. That was a solid line up he went against.

168. NatsLady - May 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Bryce, you learn anything today? Yeah, step on first base! Right in the center of the bag, so the ump can see.

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

170. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… NatsJack, better than Lannan for sure. 6 days between starts and he only got 6 1/3. That has to improve to 7 full.What I loved was how Det brought the fastballs inside on the RH batters. Arizona is a very good offensive team and if not for 1 missed call on a K, he has a shutout. 1.59 ERA May 03, 2012 9:48 PM ____________________________Steve, NatsJack smoked you out of your hole. That was a very good outing. Yes, he has to go deeper in games. He finished with 92 pitches and 63 strikes which again, didn't get 4 or 5 outside strikes.

171. Gonat - May 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM

To the person yesterday who wants to trade JZim or Detwiler for a bat, uh, tonight is back on track to great pitching and a timely hit.This is the Kardiac Kids. Maalox and Bourbon is the drink of the late innings.This is why I also like a smart bunt or hitting behind runners to move them up.Luckily Lombo's DP in the 8th didn't come back to haunt the Nats. Another 1 run win still counts as a win.Desi with a double and a WALK and run scored!

172. SonnyG10 - May 4, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh! The Nats win! TTThhhhhheeee Natttttts winnnnnnn!