Game 26: Phillies at Nats

May 4, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Phillies are in town this weekend at Nationa… er, Natitude Park.

First things first: Yes, that banner is actually hanging from the scoreboard. And yes, pretty much every mention of Nationals Park in the entire building has been covered up and re-branded for the weekend. I'll let all of you decide how you feel about this stunt. Now, let's talk about some actual baseball…

Stephen Strasburg faces the Phillies tonight for only the second time. The previous outing, of course, represented the low point in his big-league career. Not because of how he pitched — on Aug. 21, 2010, the rookie right-hander allowed one run on two hits, striking out six over 4 1/3 innings — but because of what happened on his final pitch: a 91-mph change-up that snapped his ulnar collateral ligament.

Strasburg has certainly come a long way since that night at Citizens Bank Park. He'll enter this game with a 1.13 ERA (second-lowest in baseball). And he'll be charged tonight with leading the first-place Nationals to victory over the five-time NL East champs.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back often…

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. area), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Scattered storms, 80 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF

SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. Tcostant - May 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Why isn't Moore at 1B, I'm sick of it!

2. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I'll get back to you on Monday morning. Heh.Go, Stras! Go, Flores! Go, NATS!!I'll let all of you decide how you feel about this stunt.

3. joe9 - May 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Other than the first one at RFK in '05, I would suggest this is the biggest home series in Nats history. For a lot of reasons.

4. Tcostant - May 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Let get a lead and keep those Phils fans month shut!

5. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

A little early in the the year to decide anything besides planting some further swagger. OTOH, if the Nats should deliver a three game spanking to a still pretty good Phillies team, it might obviate the need for banners next time. The guests do get quiet if they aren't on top.

6. Marty - May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Guys, I totally don't have Natitude.

7. Andrew - May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Mark can you offer some insight on Davey's thinking on Tracy?? It's been the biggest issue from commenters the past few games. Thanks!

8. Donald - May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

@Tcostant — I assume Tracy is in and Moore out to get the rightie / leftie matchup. I'd like to see Moore too, but my guess is that Davey is saving him for left-handed pitching.

9. DCJohn - May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Let the pennant race begin. Playoff atmospere in May. Tension on every pitch. Can't better than this.

10. 164abb6e-9075-11e1-aba1-000bcdcb471e - May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I also assume Davey is thinking right/lefty but I'd rather see Moore in there because the offense has been so weak I think you've got to try it now with their best hitter (so far this season) out.In any case, headed to the park soon. Pray for decent weather. It would be a shame to see a rain delay ruin the atmosphere and drive the crowd away.

11. DCJohn - May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

12. DCJohn - May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

13. NatsLady - May 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Moore's platoon splits are that bad and Tracey's are that good?

14. rabbit34 - May 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The banner is degrading. It looks like there is a high school student promoting the Nationals.

15. NatsLady - May 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Not that I want to tell Davey how to manage, of course. :)

16. Les_in_NC - May 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

What are you talking about you wascally wabbit?! I like the banner alot, and at least it isn't misspelled (you know, if it was a word that is how it would be spelled I guess).Let's get some Natitude, and get those bats heated up!

17. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM

The banner is weak…like we're the little brother trying to impress the older sibling…but, unfortunately, the Nats are the little brother trying top impress…how to rectify? i could name a few, but the most obvious is winning in October..with Bryce Harper world series mvp to go with his rookie of the year award

18. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Maybe we need to act like we've been there before – oh, wait, we haven't been here before. Familiar with the concept of "hubris"? I hope the baseball gods are not offended. Maybe a little swagger is good right now. We'll see. My Pa. relatives are just waiting to pounce. Honestly – they are just such whiny babies. And they are just bitter from the start of the season. They also are under the distinct impression that they are the ONLY ones in the baseball universe that have beloved, veteran players on the DL. wah, wah, wah. Go Nats Go – and I really, really mean that soooooo much!!!

19. JaneB - May 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I actually like the Natittude thing. Our team is getting better. Time of the fans to step up their game too. Not that I want us to be ugly or boo the other teams, or act in any way like Phillies fans. But step up the love for our guys. Being willing to be in the park with those guys. Standing by our team. Cheering for our guys, and letting the visitors know we don't truck with misbehavior. I haven't braved a Phillies game in a while, but I;m headed there tonight. GYFNG!

20. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I, for one, embrace the Natitude. This team doesn't have a hundred years of history behind it, so it has to start traditions somewhere. The submarine horn was a good start. Now we've got Natitude. It may seem silly now, but if the games mean something in September, my guess is that you'll see it all over the city. Everyone thought that rally monkey that the Angels had a few years ago was stupid, too. Until it worked.

21. Tom in AR - May 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Looking at Kendrick's splits. He has an ERA of 2.70 against lefties and 10.29 against righties. Really not feeling Davey's decision to go with Tracy over Moore.

22. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Dodger blue really makes Abreu look fat.

23. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

And his bat speed looks really slow.

24. Tom in AR - May 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

How bad is Moore's defense? I guess that is the other mitigating factor. Is he a major liability at 1st?

25. Marc - May 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Hope Harper interprets the Natitude banner as a "Hit it Here" sign. Getting ready to head to the park!

26. whatsanattau - May 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I like the bravado. It needs to be backed up, but I like the bravado. As for Moore v. Tracy, i think Moore is only up for a little while. Tracy is here to stay. He's clutch. Don't confuse Moore with Harper. And don't confuse Tracy with Nady. The team brought Moore up out of a mix of necessity and convenience not because they thought he was ready. Davey has managed to 15-9. Trust him.

27. NatsNut - May 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I love the Natitude and the whole weekend promotion. I would feel so powerless at all the other Philly fan-dominated games so this makes me hold my head up a little. Plus, I always liked the idea of a Philly/Nats rivalry more than, say, Orioles/Nats. It was very ballsy of the team to do this.But it still makes me a little nervous. As I mentioned offline, unprovoked Phillies fans are bad enough, but this is like stickin a hot poker in wasps nest. And what if they do still fill the park? Or win the series? I don't even want to imagine. At any rate, 1a had a good idea – program the fan assistance number into your phones. I think you're going to need it. See ya'll there, I hope.

28. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'm actually okay with the Natitude slogan. It's Take Back the Park on which I'm reserving judgement.

29. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

The angels and that monkey won it all…THAT'S what made it fun..if the Nats don't finish well (ie .500) it's just a sad marketing gimmick people laugh at after the fact..if you DON'T try the gimmick you don't look as foolish after…it's like a kid guaranteeing he gets all A's…he gets two B's he looks dumb..if he doesn't say anything and gets 4 a's and 2 b's it's Good Job!!..in other words don't talk until you've done something, and when you've done something you don't need to say a thing…know what's cool? the Yankees and lack of names on the back of their jerseys…that's old school

30. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

May the force be with you, NatsNut. And also with our Nats. :-)

31. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I actually liked the Rally Monkey. (Hides face in shame.)

32. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Not a fan of the Yankees but they do have a lot of tradition. I also feel for Rivera. Seems like a good guy and, of course, a great pitcher.

33. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

On the plus side, I finally get to watch Harper play tonight. Thanks to family and friend commitments, I didn't see either game last weekend. And the games this week have been so short that they've been over before I got home from work. But it's telecommute Friday for me, so I'll be on the couch with a beer in my hand to see Stras take the mound and Harper take the field tonight. Woo hoo!

34. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Scott from Burke said…"The angels and that monkey won it all…THAT'S what made it fun..if the Nats don't finish well (ie .500) it's just a sad marketing gimmick people laugh at after the fact..if you DON'T try the gimmick you don't look as foolish after…"And if you never try, you never succeed.

35. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Cheers, SF.

36. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Not a fan of the current yankees but Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle..especially Gehrig…what phenomonal talents and interesting personalities…to walk into Yankee stadium in 1927 and watch a game…oh man

37. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

SFNats said: And if you never try, you never succeed. I'm not suggesting they forfeit

38. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Scott, LOL, My point is that the Nats have a good, young team, and the organization is trying to find ways to spark interest in the fan base. Maybe Natitude will work and maybe it won't, but at least they're doing something. Ultimately, it will all come down to what happens on the field, as you said, but it doesn't hurt to try. Goofy stuff that that catches on when the team wins, and if they don't, well, they'll have to come up with something else next year. No harm done.

39. upperdeck4 - May 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I don't know which is worse – the Natitude sign, or starting Tracy.

40. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

41. jeeves - May 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Tracy is clutch? He made two clutch pitch hits and nothing since. So that makes him clutch. Okay, got it.

42. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

jeeves: for this offense..yes

43. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

swami — weather.com says just cloudy until about 9, then 65% chance of thunderstorms, at 10 it's 75% chance, then less.So I figure if Stras can pitch a no-no and the Nats get their usual 5 hits and 2 runs, we can maybe be out of there by 9:20 or so. ;-)

44. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Embrace the cheeziness. It is the only way.The chant for the home fans tonight is "TICK TOCK".

45. Grandstander - May 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

No mention yet of both Laynce Nix AND Pete Orr in the lineup for the Phillies?

46. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Is it just me, or has he lost weight?baseballswami said… Starting Tracy. You know I am all about letting the future team play. Todd Coffey sighting in the cubs/dodgers game. Didn't know he ended up there. Is the weather going to cooperate? May 04, 2012 5:03 PM

47. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You know what I REALLY like? Pete Orr batting eighth for these chumps. Now, finally, other teams are using are also-rans.GYFNG!!Jane B, be careful. Remember, they'll be some Pholks from Phil-thy.

48. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

AND Laynce Nix.

49. erocks33 - May 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Slightly off-topic, but how about this to "Take Our Park Back":Tonight's President's Race features Abe, Tom and George racing in Philly jerseys. Teddy trots out in a Nats jersey and wins the race fair-and-square (no tackling, no surprise attacks from wolves, no segways, etc).With Stras on the mound, Harp in the field and (hopefully) a raucous, mostly pro-Nats crowd on hand tonight, wouldn't that be a great way to re-claim our park??

50. peric - May 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

T_Mo12 sigh …

51. waddu eye no - May 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Embrace the cheeziness. It is the only way.Im down with thatIts silly & childish & i love it. I always tell my voice students about opera: "this is art! Its to be appreciated, not enjoyed" Then i expect the opposite. And as we all know, art imitates baseball. Gyfng

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

So long as Nady isn't in there.

53. peric - May 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Tick Tock liquors? Mracken rum?

54. Kirbs - May 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Does it hurt anyone else a little to see Nix in their line-up? That was a bad non-sign.

55. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Embrace the cheeziness.I like that. After all, what the heck? I've been drinking kook-aid for a month, and lovin' it.The best part — came that have that electric "it means something" buzz in May. Even if it doesn't mean so much — it sorta does. It's going to help prove and/or validate (or not) that the Nats are on the way up, and Phils are on the way down. Yeah, we won four straight from them last year, but, "end of season" yadda yadda.Not so this weekend.GYFNG! This is what we play for! Good team, good competition — and real stars to (hopefully) win it for us. Go Stras! Go Harp! GYNFG!(BTW, a coupla threads ago, somebody said something like it was like having Strasmas and Harpakuh at once — I like that!)

56. couch potato - May 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Apropos of nothing, I just sent in my first All Star ballot, including a write-in for Bryce Harper.Now if Mr. Harper can just keep up something close to this pace through the rest of the season!

57. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

(The best part — games that have that…)

58. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Steve Garvey made all star team as a write in..he had his family stuff the ballot box..ended up winning mvp of the game

59. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

60. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Teddy wins the day after we clinch a playoff spot? That is one hell of an idea.

61. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Just saw that the Twins claimed Komatsu from the Cards as they tried to send him down. I thought if the Cards dropped him that the Nats wuold have first shot at reclaiming their rule 5 pick.

62. Ron In Reston - May 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Only if he clears waivers, SC

63. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Ron — Re Komatsu, but the Twins have to keep him on their 25-man all year, right? They can't get more rights to a Rule 5 draftee than the Cards have to give.

64. rabbit34 - May 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I say, and said before, take advantage of every Philly fan we can while the getting is good. They will phase themselves out. When the keep trecking down 95, paying the bucks for seats, purchase hotel rooms, spend money, AND the Phillies lose…..then you'll see them start to phase out. Why treck down 95 to see your team lose on a consistent basis? It may not be this year or next, but eventually as the Phillies keep losing, their fans won't want to spend all that time and money to travel to their southern home to see their northern team lose. Again, and again. Yep, they will take themselves out of the picture. In the meantime, let's take their money!!

65. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Good news from Kilgore:"Ryan Zimmerman hit off a tee this afternoon and felt “no discomfort,” Manager Davey Johnson. Zimmerman will ramp up his swinging tomorrow, which he said will provide more of a “true test” for whether he’ll return off the disabled list Sunday, Monday or later."

66. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Amen, Rabbit! We will sell them the beer they cry in, at $8 each!

67. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Steady Eddie, right. It's still the Rule 5 draft. Twins have to keep him on the big league club or make a deal with the Nats, or they'll lose his rights.

68. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

TICK TOCK … the former champs are aging fast. Out and about town in the Willie Gandébol jersey tonight, in 315 tomorrow.GYFNG!

69. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Steve Garvey made all star team as a write in..he had his family stuff the ballot boxWow . . . just how big is his family?!?

70. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Scott from Burke said… teddy wins the race the day after we clinch a playoff spot…gotta be that way..right?Agreed . . . I posted that around a week or two ago.So, hey, ref!, does that mean Scott owes me a coke? Or does this rule apply only when it's the same thread?

71. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

72. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Seems like everyone's going to tomorrow's game . . . is anyone going to Sunday's? (I'll be there with family in 309)

73. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

DC Wonk..not that big..just BUSY…i think mostly it was his wife Cindy..total babe…she had a relationship with composer marvin hamlish…then two men met..hamlish said they had a conversation and, when it was over, CIndy and Steve were no longer together…Steve is the Dodgers answer to Joe Theisman…loud..abrasive..loves the spotlight..a little 'hollywood'..not loved by teammates..but a heck of a ballplayer..I loved Garvey back then

74. Scott from Burke - May 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

can't go to tomorrow's game..have to stay home and watch my NEW YORK RANGERS!!

75. RickH - May 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Here for the first time this season. Brought my NATITUDE!!!

76. A DC Wonk - May 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

In 88 the Mets had a chance to clinch in Philly..they got swept..Mets fans at the game went nuts, some ripping the seats out of the ground. That's not a knock on Mets fans..I like it..not saying vandalize property outside the stadium, but..you know..I was there for one of those games (!!). I was a big time Mets fan until 2005.I remember it well, because it was the first game I took my wife to.It was 1986. It was a Fri-Sat-Sun, and a ton of Mets fans had come for the entire weekend. The Mets were 22 games in first, and had a magic number of 1 with 20+ games to go, so it was no biggie if they won or lost.My wife and I went to the middle one of the three — Saturday night — I think Lenny Dykstra hit a home run on the first pitch of the game — Mets scored 3 that first inning (big hits by Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter and Ray Knight — what a team) Mets fans pretty much filled the stadium. But Phils came back, ended up winning 6-5.But, what I remember afterwards was just feeling annoyed that we had schlepped all that way, and didn't see them win. Nothing bad, no vandalism. (Perhaps it happened Sunday, perhaps it even happened Sat night and we missed it — but we didn't see anything out of the ordinary).

77. MicheleS - May 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I am here and Nats fans are showing up. I would say 75% Nats fansq

78. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

MicheleS – have been wondering – can't tell on tv – are they in huge groups or sprinkled around? I will be angry if they figured out a way to do big groups.They are more easily handled and out-shouted if they are mixed in. Keep them in line!!!

79. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

There's a two-for-one all-you-can-eat buffet at the Ponderosa. That explains Cowboy Joe West's absence tonight.

80. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Thanks, MicheleS. That's great!I'm afraid that would be same thread only and minutes/seconds apart, DC Wonk. Sorry. :-) So, hey, ref!, does that mean Scott owes me a coke? Or does this rule apply only when it's the same thread? May 04, 2012 6:20 PM

81. natsfan1a - May 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Plus, I think he had a gig at some C&W dive later, Sunshine. :-)

82. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Welcome to K Street

83. Grandstander - May 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Umpiring at second should be great tonight considering Joe West is sick and out of the game.

84. Marty - May 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I like the way this one is starting!For all the hand-wringing about the offense, 'tis a beautiful thing to let go and watch Strasburg go to work.

85. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Cry me a river, Charlie.

86. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Charlie Manuel looked a bit tense. Maybe the Phillies think this series is even more important to them than it is to us.

87. Fear and Ignorance - May 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Way to make 'em pay Werth. Go sit in the other dugout.

88. baseballswami - May 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I did not hear Werth getting booed! Was Harper booed? I like the way things sound on tv so far.

89. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Almost said this yesterday but Lombo has no arm from 3rd base. And don't even think about short.I love the guy but only as a 2 baseman.

90. Marty - May 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM

@Natsjack – hopefully he'll get a chance there in a few days :)

91. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Sometimes the ball bounces your way.

92. SFNats - May 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

And sometimes you hit into a 3-6 double play.

93. sm13 - May 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

A personal challenge to Gio by Stras.

94. Will - May 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It's exceptionally frustrating that a 19 year old with less than 30 career ABs is by far and away our best hitter.

95. Fear and Ignorance - May 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM

This team has to have the most automatic outs in the major leagues…Nady, DeRosa, Ankiel, Bernadina, Tracy, Flores and Espinosa are hitting a combined .163 (54 for 330) and Werthless, whose production could be replaced easily via the waiver wire.

96. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Dammit, Werth.

97. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

werth is on the wrong team. So predictable. Its like he always wants to get to 2 strikes.

98. Will - May 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Fear and Ignorance, it doesn't help that there's noticeably better options on the bench that aren't being used for nonsensical reasons (e.g. Tyler Moore).

99. sm13 - May 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

And, we're 16-9, go figure. My glass remains half full.

100. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

So – who is a worse rally killer – Espi or Werth? Jayson finally gets a game where the fans are actually on his side and this is how he responds? Pretty soon it will be the Nats fans booing him and the Phils fans won't have to. They are actually apathetic towards him now.

101. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

if Werth could actually hit, with all the RBIs opportunity he's had he could lead the NL in RBIs.

102. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Werth has been doing fine overall. That wasn't a great at-bat. It happens.

103. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Expos remains..If Werth could hit he wouldnt have as many rbi opportunities…pitchers woudnlt pitch around hitters to get to him, like they did last inning

104. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

So we strand a whole bunch of runners – they get one on, hit a home run and lead 2-0. Sheesh.

105. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

By the way – pouring in prince william county.

106. Fear and Ignorance - May 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Looks like the Phillies really miss Werthless…lol!!! Pence is so much better that it isn't even funny. And why is Tyler Moore not playing???

107. Drew - May 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

You don't tug on Superman's cape.

108. Fear and Ignorance - May 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Gonat-Werth is garbage. End of story.

109. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Ignorance – He's not a superstar, but he's far from garbage. Nady is garbage.

110. sm13 - May 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Well done Chad, digging it off the ground

111. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Every since they signed Werth, the Nats have gotten better. Just sayin'.

112. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I know Werth had a Walkoff single and was involved in another walkoff.

113. Jon Schultz - May 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Anyone know why Johnny Holliday is doing play by play tonight? Growing up in the DC area, he is such a institution, I am glad to hear him doing games.

114. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM

holliday called one bloop to ss on a broken bat a line drive..he is senile

115. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Carp's daughter is graduating college tonight.

116. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Jon – Carp's daughter's graduation was today

117. John - May 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Let's just say Werth will never live up to his contract.

118. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Stras is…irked…that he struck out. You have to love that.

119. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM

That depends, John. If they win a WS while he's there and he's the veteran who holds the team together, might be Werth it regardless of the stats.

120. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

i would love it if he got a hit..i can strike out 100 times and be FURIOUS..doesnt help

121. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Anybody that tags themself as Fear and Ignorance is garbage.

122. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Anybody that tags themself as Fear and Ignorance is garbage.

123. Will - May 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I would love it if Desmond only swung at pitches in the strike zone.

124. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Scott, seriously, take a Valium. Or have a beer.

125. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

so many missed opporunities, the Phils are really trying to let the Nats win.

126. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

RUIZ? the kissing RUIZ because the holy one is getting knocked around..i hate that nonsensefear and ignorance and Nats jack in florida going at it…im going with F&I on this one..werth is trash

127. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

and now sfnats is throwing down…here we go

128. sm13 - May 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Not often Stras gives up two long homers. I guess he might be mortal.

129. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Someone check Ruiz's PED test.

130. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Oy – has SS ever given up 2 in a game? Funny – his command and velocity look fine. Pitch calling by Flo? The nats are hitting the ball very hard and actually stringing hits together. There is just a great big wall between third and home that no one seems to be able to cross.

131. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Anybody that tags themself as Fear and Ignorance is garbage. May 04, 2012 8:26 PM ____________________________It says it all.

132. Marty - May 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Don't you guys have something else you could do other than bicker? Maybe watch a baseball game or something.

133. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

banners…guys getting angry when they strike out…expect to win as a fan..do not accept angry strikeout victims and new banners (davey johnson refused to say the word)…get angry…athletes are paid to win, not try hard

134. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

And Stras bears down and gets it done. Now time for the offense to pick him up.

135. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

sell it feffer…

136. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

baseballswami – I was thinking the same. I think its a combo of pitch calling and setting up to Pence. That pitch to Ruiz was dead red meatball that he didn't miss. That's how I saw it.I am sure Stras will take all the blame.

137. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

BRYCE COLD HARPER

138. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

pitch calling? stras can shake his head

139. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

What's funny is that our ace has the audacity to give up 3 runs in 5 innings — which ain't great, but ain't bad — and we're trying to figure out what's wrong. Him or the catcher?That's how good he is.

140. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

werth will make an out here..i say a fly to right

141. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

not looking like an ace tonighti was wrong..fky to left

142. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Scott from Burke said… pitch calling? stras can shake his head May 04, 2012 8:38 PM ________________________Agreed. That's why Stras will take the blame.

143. Fear and Ignorance - May 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

NatsJack-Best movie quote ever. I find it hilarious that people on here think you actually know baseball because you hang around Spring Training like Ronnie Woo Woo at Wrigley Field. I would be willing to bet that everybody on that team laughs whenever they see you coming. You are just upset because you know Werth sucks too.

144. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

stick a rusty nail in the can and slurp down the cow piss..nasty

145. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

the only reason Werth seems better its because we have such low expectations. 2HR and 9RBI for a guy making 126M is not good.Its just frustrating that they are making Kendrick look like a better pitcher than Strasburg

146. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

i think F&I just got REALLLLLY personal..watch out

147. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Anyone who thinks Kendrick looks like a better pitcher than Stras isn't watching the game.

148. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I thought they said Werth came into this game with a 270 avg. It just doesn't seem that way because he is the opposite of clutch and gets his hits in a vacuum.Feels like the guys are hitting Kendrick pretty good. The phils have 3 hits and 3 runs, we are hitting all over the place with only the solo to show for it. The atmosphere seems pretty good at the park, though. Anyway – it's not the seventh inning yet.

149. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I did say look like, Sf Nats.Harper's attitude I'd like to see more of that from other players

150. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Ronnie Woo Woo …that is CLASSIC…

151. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Ignorance – I think the old saying is NatsJack has forgotten more baseball than you know.Some of us also know the difference between garbage (Stairs) and gold (Strasburg). Werth is somewhere near a C+ this season IMO

152. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I know, Exposremains. I meant that it might look like that by the numbers, but not if you're watching the game.

153. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

And Werth gets all three outs in that inning for the Phils.

154. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I'm watching, its the same old thing Nats offense bailing out every bad pitcher out there.

155. John - May 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

SFNats, I'll accept your scenario about Werth. I wonder if Angels fans aren't feeling the same way about the Pujols acquisition right about now. I don't expect Werth to match his Philly career numbers over the life of this contract or carry the team, but I'll settle for a few clutch hits and a championship.

156. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

gotta to cash in, here. come on!

157. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM

158. MicheleS - May 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM

F&IRecovering Cubs fan here. You owe NatsJack an apology. I have had to put up with Ronnie Woo Woo my entire life and no one will ever get to that level.

159. Just sayin' - May 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Fearlessly ignorant: Bull Durham's a great flick with some good quotes, but if you think it contains the "best movie quote ever" you need to expand your cinematic horizons. And while NatsJack can be acerbic, there's no need for the ad hominem attacks. You (and a few other posters) might also note that if you have to add "lol" to your comments they're probably not that funny.

160. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Pujols..wow…what a scene…if he gets hot it's gonna be scary..i hope he doesn't..bloated AL contracts for 1B/DH..I'm anti DH..although watching strasburg run the bases was kind of sad

161. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM

ok..who is RoOnnie Woo Woo? and best movie quote ever is "She's my sister..smack…she's my daughter…smack..Understand?"

162. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Scott from Burke said… combine last year with this year and werth gets a D+..put in his contract and it's a D minus…the good news is he is never hurt..the bad news is he's never hurt May 04, 2012 9:00 PM ____________________________Can't disagree with what happened last year. It was a "F".

163. Grandstander - May 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Rick Ankiel showing us his Nook Logan impression.

164. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Can't believe the ending to that inning. Unreal. Couldn't tell. Was Bo Porter sleeping?

165. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

and the best quote from a baseball movie is this poignant exchange in bang the drum slowly (lifted directly from Mark Harris book you philistines and neanderthals) At one point, Bruce Pearson says "Probably everybody would be nice to you if they knew you were dying ." Arthur Wiggins responds, "Everybody knows everybody's dying. That's why people are as good as they are."

166. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

A Nook Logan moment! To paraphrase Charlie's finest call ever: "What was he doing? Where was he going? What was he thinking?"

167. Exposremains - May 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

they really want to lose tonight.

168. baseballswami - May 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Major Leaguers doing stupid sh@#! That would be the caption under the picture.

169. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Gorzo threw some great pitches to Wiggington.

170. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Time to walk Ruiz to set up the force.

171. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Dumb baseball move to steal 3rd with 1 out and your hottest hitter up.

172. Marty - May 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Well if we do end up stealing this game, it'll be thanks to the lack of Joe West.

173. Fear and Ignorance - May 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM

MicheleS-I lived off of Southport and Addison for 8 years. He used to come into Justin's and Schoolyard Tavern all of the time in his uniform. Ronnie Woo Woo is great in small doses…if you are drunk. At least he is a likable guy. NatsJack thinks he is always right about everything…from saying Hanley Ramirez sucks to saying that the Orioles don't have anybody on their team that could even play for the Nationals. He is the one who got personal…not me.

174. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Johnny Hooliday shows his ignorance..after the out at third ruiz gets a hit and Holliday says that would have scored him..how does he know the same sequence of events would haqve occurred..different strategies might have been used..i hate that

175. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

2 gifts in that inning. That shot over the 3rd base bag looked like a double—and it was called foul.

176. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

GoNat said: Dumb baseball move to steal 3rd with 1 out and your hottest hitter up.Correct sir (madam?)

177. SFNats - May 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

About time the Nats got some calls in their favor.

178. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Hanley Ramirez would fit in fine for the Nats…

179. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

how can we not blame Ankiel for hetting thrown out at 3rd? ridiculous..making sure he stays buddies with the players..nonsense

180. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Scott, Ankiel obviously thought the ball got past Rollins. What was Bo Porter telling him to do?Credit to Rollins for making Ankiel look bad.

181. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

fp pointed out ankiels should have turned his head to see what was going on…3 minutes later saying he's not to blame…which is it?

182. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Danny Espinosa watching as a spectator on that grounder to Stammen

183. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Tim Hudson getting smashed by the Rockies. 5 earned over 2 innings….so far.

184. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I'd like to see Craig throw more of those curve balls to the RH batter. Decent inning as it looked like it could have been a disaster

185. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM

If you think Lidge can give it up, Qualls can do the same thing.

186. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I DOn't know FP? are you blind Johnny Holliday?

187. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Ankiel 3-3Tracey Hr and singleNot bad for so called easy outs

188. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Flores…always a good hitter

189. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Nats get lucky again but what set that up was all the pinch hitters by Philly put in weaker fielders.

190. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

wax..where you been? big inning

191. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

but isn't there anyone else to ph besides Nady ?

192. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Yes!!!!! Nady walks

193. RickH - May 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Flores ignited my NATITUDE!!!

194. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Glad now that Davey didn't put Ramos in as the pinch-hitter

195. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

poor scouting by phili

196. Scott from Burke - May 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Hollida just said he wouldnt walk nady..i liked him voicing the opinion…that was good

197. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

poor umping

198. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Ladies and gents, it's bourbon and Maalox time.

199. Gonat - May 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Desmond and Lombo both let the Phillies off the hook. Qualls is on the ropes. Work the darn count. Maybe you get a wild pitch or a mistake pitch to drive.

200. jeffwx - May 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM