May 4, 2012, 3:12 AM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Adam LaRoche injured his oblique muscle diving for a ball at first base.
Given the injuries they've already sustained and the lack of production they've been getting from the rest of their lineup, the Nationals can ill-afford to lose Adam LaRoche for any length of time.
But it appears they'll be without their cleanup hitter and starting first baseman for at least several days after he suffered an injury to his right oblique muscle while diving for a ball during Wednesday night's game.
LaRoche finished out that game but reported to Nationals Park today feeling tightness on his right side. He attempted to take a couple of swings off a tee, but quickly shut himself down, not wanting the injury to become any more severe.
"I know these things can linger," he said. "I hope we caught it early enough where we can knock it out shortly and get back out there,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season