May 5, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez led the way with seven innings of one-run ball.
Game in a nutshell: How good must this one have felt for the Nationals and their fans? After experiencing tense, low-scoring nailbiters almost every night of the week, this time everyone got to enjoy a rout. Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond and Chad Tracy all homered to ignite the lineup. Gio Gonzalez tossed seven innings of one-run ball. And a near-sellout crowd of 39,496 roared over and over again as the home team blew out its hated division rivals. Winners now of seven straight (and 11 of 13) against the Phillies dating back to last season, the NL East-leading Nationals now hold a 5 1/2-game lead over now last-place Philadelphia.
Hitting highlight: Given the manner in which the Phillies seemed to keep pitching around Bryce Harper to put the onus on Jayson Werth, the $126 million right fielder was going to have to deliver at some point. He finally did in the bottom of the fifth, belting a three-run homer to left to put the Nationals ahead for good. It had been a frustrating weekend to that point for Werth, who had stranded seven runners on base. ButRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates