May 5, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez led the way with seven innings of one-run ball.
Game in a nutshell: How good must this one have felt for the Nationals and their fans? After experiencing tense, low-scoring nailbiters almost every night of the week, this time everyone got to enjoy a rout. Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond and Chad Tracy all homered to ignite the lineup. Gio Gonzalez tossed seven innings of one-run ball. And a near-sellout crowd of 39,496 roared over and over again as the home team blew out its hated division rivals. Winners now of seven straight (and 11 of 13) against the Phillies dating back to last season, the NL East-leading Nationals now hold a 5 1/2-game lead over now last-place Philadelphia.
Hitting highlight: Given the manner in which the Phillies seemed to keep pitching around Bryce Harper to put the onus on Jayson Werth, the $126 million right fielder was going to have to deliver at some point. He finally did in the bottom of the fifth, belting a three-run homer to left to put the Nationals ahead for good. It had been a frustrating weekend to that point for Werth, who had stranded seven runners on base. ButRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff