May 6, 2012, 8:36 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann and Cole Hamels meet on Sunday Night Baseball.
When ESPN announced over the winter it would be televising the first Sunday Night Baseball game at Nationals Park since the place opened in 2008, naturally the execs at the Worldwide Leader expected this game would feature the first-place Nationals shooting for their eighth-straight win over the last-place Phillies. Right? Right?
The Nationals couldn't have asked for better timing to unveil their 18-9 club to a nationwide audience. Sure, they'd love to have Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Adam LaRoche in the lineup. Then again, the current group has successfully put 40 men on base the last two days. Not wanting to tinker with perfection, Davey Johnson will go with the same lineup tonight, even though left-hander Cole Hamels is on the mound for Philadelphia.
Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, gets the start for the Nationals. Here's hoping the right-hander (often the forgotten man of this rotation) gets some well-deserved national attention.
Lots of updates to come, so please check back…
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
Radio: WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations