Game 28: Phillies at Nats

May 6, 2012, 8:36 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann and Cole Hamels meet on Sunday Night Baseball.

When ESPN announced over the winter it would be televising the first Sunday Night Baseball game at Nationals Park since the place opened in 2008, naturally the execs at the Worldwide Leader expected this game would feature the first-place Nationals shooting for their eighth-straight win over the last-place Phillies. Right? Right?

The Nationals couldn't have asked for better timing to unveil their 18-9 club to a nationwide audience. Sure, they'd love to have Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Adam LaRoche in the lineup. Then again, the current group has successfully put 40 men on base the last two days. Not wanting to tinker with perfection, Davey Johnson will go with the same lineup tonight, even though left-hander Cole Hamels is on the mound for Philadelphia.

Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, gets the start for the Nationals. Here's hoping the right-hander (often the forgotten man of this rotation) gets some well-deserved national attention.

Lots of updates to come, so please check back…

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: ESPN
Radio: WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WNEW (1580 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF

SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

Read more ยป

1. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I am sure that Jordan would rather have run support than national attention.

2. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Mark….is the same umpiring crew from Friday night less Joe West with a replacement, or a different crew?

3. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I have a feeling Prince Oppo will be feeling the cameras tonight. (That's a good thing–cameras like him.)

4. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM

NatsJack, yes it is.From Friday: UMPIRESHP Rob Drake, 1B Sam Holbrook, 3B Andy Fletcher

5. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

That is, yes it is the same crew, with D.J. Reyburn joining them for yesterday's game.

6. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Thanks.

7. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Amen to that, Swami. Harper doesn't seem daunted by the big stage so far, so I'd tend to agree with sec3. (lol, just realized that "Orr" would fit right in on the all-vomit-onomatopoeia-surnames Phillies roster – as inspired by a Phillies fan comment quoted in an earlier thread. Okay, sorry. Got a bit distracted there. Hope nobody's eating dinner. Ahem.)Anyway, will try to stay awake for the whole broadcast, but no guarantees, so I've set the DVR as well. Go, J-Zimm! Go, NATS!! Stay hot, NATS BATS!!

8. Eugene in Oregon - May 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Query: I use MLB.tv to watch games from my computer; we don't have ESPN (or a regular tv, for that matter). Am I correct that national ESPN games like this are blacked-out on MLB.tv? Prefer to watch from home, but I'll head for a sports bar if I have to (not a bad thing). Thanks to anyone who can answer definitively.

9. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

1a, in all fairness, Gorzelanny would fit that roster, too.

10. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Pujols actually just went yard. Maybe his average will cross the mendoza line now.

11. 164abb6e-9075-11e1-aba1-000bcdcb471e - May 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

5pm start here in LA, where I'm visiting family, and I'm committed to a 7pm dinner at a place that I know won't have a TV. Gameday and the DVR will have to suffice. Sweep!

12. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Sorry Eugene. It's blacked out on MLB.tv. But at least you got that time difference thing going for ya.

13. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

'm kind of hoping Jordan Zimmermann is a bit piqued … he has the best bat in the starting rotation not Gio Gonzalez … I expect he might be out to prove it tonight … ;)

14. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

but I'll head for a sports bar if I have to (not a bad thing).For what you pay you'd think they would make an exception? Its hard to find a bar like Duffy's that will put it on …

15. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Yeah, no doubt we could come up with our own, er, as it were. But seeing as how original comment was a Phils Phan saying that "natitude" sounded like someone ralphing (which it doesn't, really), I went with names from their roster.

16. Eugene in Oregon - May 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

NatsJack: Yeah; that's what I thought/feared. Thanks for the confirmation. Given how rarely the Nats are on national tv, I don't recall ever having had this problem before. Since we moved West the only MLB.tv blacked-out games have been when the Nats played the Mariners and the Giants, who –along with A's — are somehow considered to capture Oregon within their respective spheres of influence (or whatever they call it). Oh well, bar food and a few beers shouldn't hurt too much.

17. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Oops, forgot to paste this in to my comment. Context and all that.Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table said… 1a, in all fairness, Gorzelanny would fit that roster, too. May 06, 2012 5:04 PM

18. NatitudeLady - May 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Pujols hits a home run, can Danny be far behind???

19. sk80 - May 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think the game should be on espn3.com no? Or maybe that will be blacked out too. Can usually watch there for free.

20. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Bad news. Jerry Hairston, Jr. just came up with a pulled hamstring for the Dodgers (anyway we can blame the Nats training staff for this?). Worse news. Adam Kennedy will replace him at 3b.

21. UnkyD - May 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

… And the Unholy Table is set.Can Gorsehacking be far behind…?

22. NatitudeLady - May 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Off to the game. See y'all on the other end. GO NATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Worse news. Adam Kennedy will replace him at 3b.It makes me feel overwhelmed by gratitude … that Giggleman's Island is now a series in reruns on the Comedy Channel. I can just imagine what this roster would be like and what the record would be with that guy trying to play every washed up AAAA guy form Orr, Harris, Kennedy, etc. instead of trying out a Lombardozzi and even a Harper. I think many fans do not realize just how fortunate we were when that guy accidentally resigned …

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Nats still have 4 of the top 11 ERA's in the NL. Hard to mess with that rotation. As I said yesterday, things will happen that will change things eventually, but until you have to don't toy with it.

25. MicheleS - May 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Watching BP right now. Its cloudy out. Gio is running on the warning track. Smiling of course.

26. Will - May 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

There's a great interview with Harper on ESPN, it's quite long too (10 minutes).http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7897503It sounds like Harper's had some media coaching. He was better than most politicians with some of those answers. Buster Olney was clearly trying to get Harper to say something like his Namath comment, but Harper played it cool. Amazing that a 19 year old can come across so level-headed and mature.

27. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

… And the Unholy Table is set. Can Gorsehacking be far behind…?I LIKE it, Unky!

28. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

29. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Have fun, Michele and NatsLady.Wait, doesn't that sound kinda like…nevermind. Hack. That. Gorse.UnkyD said… … And the Unholy Table is set. Can Gorsehacking be far behind…? May 06, 2012 5:29 PM

30. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

So I'm watching Cody Ross, and it occurs to my why the Nats didn't get him–there'd be no way they could tell Bryce ixnay on the eyeblack, once he saw Ross on the bench. Though it would have given him someone to borrow from if he ran short.

31. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Nats still have 4 of the top 11 ERA's in the NL. Hard to mess with that rotation.With Wang chomping at the bit and all of Taiwan likely waiting with bated breath? Davey said it all when he said he'd rather not think about … You really can't pull Detwiler it could affect his development. You're not going to pull Stras, Gio, or JZimm … leaves Edwin as a 1 year wonder and potential trade bait because of it … They might get something good for Jackson, lots of teams with a rash of injuries and playoff potential. And if you could package Lannan with him and get a bit more? But then there's just staying the course which makes abundant sense … except that Wang's 30-day clock is started.

32. Ann Ominous - May 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

33. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I didn't like Cody as a Marlin. Liked him as a Giant. He's what, a Red Sox now? Yech. Nah, he's okay. :-)

34. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Congradulations to the Minnesota Twins who have been no hit and 1 hit in the last 5 days for having blasted 3 hits already and it's only in the 6th inning.Ex Nats and Ben Goessling … betcha Goessling is the albatross!

35. MicheleS - May 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Mark and amanda chatting with Storen. BP is about to start

36. peric - May 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Can Gorsehacking be far behind…?Giggleman's Island gives way to Welcome Back Kotter?

37. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Country Joe West out three straight games. Man, that two-for-one buffet at the Ponderosa must be taking a beating by now.

38. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Not sure if the O's game will end before the Nats

39. UnkyD - May 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Peric… Took me a sec….Good One! (grins…remembering Ron Pallilo) {:^D

40. Grandstander - May 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

So it looks like MLB broke up the umpiring crew that had both Joe West and Angel Hernandez in it. One of the few smart moves Bud Selig has ever made.That actually happened last year around the ASB. And it was Joe Torre, not Selig. I think that crew had something like 17 ejections by June or something ridiculous so Torre finally did what baseball fans everywhere were clamoring for.

41. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So Pete Orr and Lance Nix leading the former Nat charge tonight…

42. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

so wait, I won't be able to watch this game on ESPN 3 (online) because of blackout restrictions? that sucks.

43. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

And to the 13th we go in Boston….hitters still can't see the ball in the twilight.Keepin track of the O's in case of a beltway WS.

44. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I really don't like the four letter network. Maybe the mute button? You guys are making me yearn to see Morse hit with all your gorsehacking horseplay. Zim and LaRoche back in Pittsburgh? Hope they are not rusty. Will there be a pre-game show on masn?

45. natsfan1a - May 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Jeff, sure, you can keep track and report back to us in the fall, should the situation in question arise. ;-)I don't think so, swami, but Baseball Tonight on the four-letter network, I think.

46. peric - May 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Listening to Franconia is like listening to LaRussa it might be educational?

47. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

FP is on twitter – apparently he is tailgating and attending the game dressed as a fan. I assume that means no tie, no makeup? Does anyone else think this day is just dragging on? This almost feels worse than the west coast games.

48. A DC Wonk - May 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

OK, so as I understand it, NatsLady is in 304, SonnyG is 208, and I'll be there in 309. Where will MichelleS be?Anyone else? (I'm headed out to the game now)

49. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

1a…If the current O's game ever ends, yes.Showalter using the last of his pen (Jim Johnson) in the 15th in Boston.Wonk ti lla … hopefully Michelle will be on the right field side of the stadium…we're kind of LF heavyNL said she'd be in 305 I think.

50. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I may catch it at Duffy's. I think he has a wings special.

51. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Cheer loudly for the rest of us – if you have a signal give us some local color. We have no home town coverage tonight. Out boo the Phans!

52. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Oh there's buster at the park…I think I see some of you…Say hey to Chase Utley…He's shagging now

53. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

If you tix from yesterday's game, you can pick up your free wings at Hard Times

54. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Harper's in the cage on ESPN

55. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And the game goes on in Boston…On to the 16thChris Davis, O's DH, warming up in the pen

56. baseballswami - May 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

O's going to the 16th in Boston. Oy. Each team has used 8 pitchers already.

57. UnkyD - May 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Sofa….jealous-those are goooood wings!

58. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Schilling calling Nats the NL version of TBStarters Opp. BA = .193,Schilling/Kruk on our bandwagon…

59. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa w/ Unholy Table - May 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Just checking–are there, in fact, NO Hard Times locations in DC?? Except for the park…? Bummer!

60. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Swami…Evidenty O's DH, now pitcher K'd 5 times today.So where is Duffy's ?

61. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Chris Davis is pitching for Orioles.

62. MicheleS - May 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

In 131 tonight

63. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Davis strikes out 5 times, now strikes out his first batter…unconvential, very compact windup.

64. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Play at the plate Jones to Hardy to Wieters…on to the 17th

65. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Michele's in the good seats…

66. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

i wanna watch this game.

67. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

darnell up for red sox now. interesting stuff!!!

68. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Yeah….2 position players pitching for each side.Nice pitch Darnell

69. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

whoops…3 run hr by Jones…it could end in the 17th

70. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

amazing, I love baseball.I think if ever play a long game like this, we will have a real pitcher (Ankiel) on the mound in 17th inning. that would be fun.

71. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

yes…we have better position player pitchers ;)

72. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

What the heck…..Stras don't know who Doc Gooden was ???

73. JaneB - May 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I hope Jordan walks out there with a metaphorical broom, and that the guys give him some run support during the early innings. Time to win one for JZimm!

74. whatsanattau - May 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

anybody here mention recently that Schilling is an idiot?

75. whatsanattau - May 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

His thoughtful comment on Harper's interview was that Harper shouldn't rely too much on his Dad. A) They set Harper up for that. B) Harper never said he didn't listen to anyone else. C) Schilling is an idiot.

76. NatsJack in Florida - May 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I vote gor C) Schilling is an idiot.

77. jeffwx - May 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Hey….I want that Nats broom.

78. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Heh. I have a couple of whisk brooms. Gotta paint a curly W on one of them…

79. Destination....K Street - May 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Man it's good to see the boys on national TV. Now let's get a win and the sweep.

80. natsfan1a - May 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Jeff, just to clarify, I wasn't requesting updates on that game. 'kay thanks. ;-)

81. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Got ya 1a…Game over, man.

82. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Good idea Candide…I'd buy one, but I have unbridled enthusiasm

83. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Getting tired of hearing how the Phils are in last place because they're missing their big boppers. As if Zimm and Morse haven't missed a game…

84. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Sorry 1a, i meant game over, lady.Actually, I was trying my hand at blogcasting for those at the stadium and to be a general nuisance.Quick pitchin by Big Z

85. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Yes…And they have Lance Nix and Pete Orr to fill in ;)

86. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Ok, fellas… The whole country's watching…Let's bat all the way around, in the first… See how many Philly Phans will just head for the exits….. Shall we?!

87. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM

So Bryce hangs with Jason…He'll be a very rich man too.

88. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Wow……BS

89. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM

if anyone doesnt think that was on purpose you are wrong

90. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM

WHAT!?!?!

91. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Get ready JZ….throw at one of the Philly Geezers

92. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Hershiser as much as said it was deliberate.

93. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

hershiser said? stevie wonder saw it

94. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

95. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

OH MY G!!!!!HERE's ONE for YOU….HAMELS

97. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

EOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!TAKE THAT!!!!!!!!

98. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

OMGHere's one for you HAMELS and CRUSTY CHARLIE MANUEL

99. waddu eye no - May 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

hit THIS, hamel 1!pfb

100. natsfan1a - May 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM

New drinking game proposal for all of y'all who partake. Every time an ESPN broadcaster says "nineteen-year-old" you take a shot. Well, maybe every other time. Enjoy! :-)

101. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM

They'll still throw high and tight at Victorino

102. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM

btw pierre has no arm in left

103. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Jeez…I wish I didn't give up drinking

104. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM

he could have killed ruiz

105. TimDz - May 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Suck on THAT Hamels…No way that hbp was unintentional …

106. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Did you see how Harper took a look at Hamels after he got up.Love it.

107. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM

why would it be intentional?

108. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

OMG….LOMBO

109. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM

FS to tell harper to show respect and he's their most exciting hitter..SENDING A MESSAGE..dont be daft

110. hmm... - May 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM

jeffwx – careful what you wish for.

111. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Don't nobody F… with our Guy. We got your back

112. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Good point hmmmm.God grant me the serenity to accept the games i can not change ;)

113. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Zimm hist noone..but ruiz swung like he was nervous…i think he has to hit someone later but 6 up..6 down…a bench clearing brawl would be wild

114. sm13 - May 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

If JZimm is going to retaliate, is he going to do it by throwing at Hamels?

115. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

you generally dont throw at the pitcher..bad form

116. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Zimm hasn't allowed a base runner yet. I don't think he's going to do it by plunking someone.

117. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

plus he should be an easy out…mets once threw at roger clemens in houston with piazza itting and missed..piazza was pissed..clemens went on to get a hit

118. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

piazza catching

119. djinFl. - May 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I guess we all know who is not going down on Tuesday.Wonder if Rizzo fell out of his seat on the steal.

120. JaneB - May 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

That plunking had to be intentional, if Hamel only rarely walks anyone. That was a hazing, and The Kid shoved it back at 'em. And on Say Hey Kid's birthday, no less.I thought I was in the tank for Gio. Now I am in the tank for The Kid.

121. A DC Wonk - May 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

At the ball park. First time I've ever seen steal of home in person. The Park is electric after thatWhat was "on purpose" IMHO is that it looked like it was suppose to be a brush back pitch that got too far inside

122. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I still don't understand how that was intentional. anyways Harper responded well, that's all matters.

123. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Anyone wanna bet that by the time this game is over, we have a new record for number of comments?

124. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Faraz…they dont like that hes a cocky young kid who shows everybody up and they let him kinow it by hitting him with a baseball traveling 90 mph..it's not a difficult concept

125. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Unwritten rule…you don't throw at the other team's pitcher…but throwin at the Game's star, is just plain wrong/mean for the team, the fans, the game.I'd throw the ball at Manual

126. Steady Eddie - May 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM

That's OK, Jane. I'm in the tank for both of 'em, wearing my blue #47 tee and having been described as having a "boy crush" on Bryce….

127. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM

did anyone read logan morrison's tweet about what Harper can't do?

128. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM

one of the most intentional hbp i have ever seen…one that will be more obvious will be later in this game from jordan zimmermann

129. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM

FS, what's not to understand? Phillies facing a sweep, their pitcher with terrific control hits the talk of baseball square in the back with his first pitch. All that was missing was Hamels yelling at Harper that he was going to hit him.

130. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

here we go

131. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Scott, he didn't do anything to Phillies. that's the part I don't get.

132. jeffwx - May 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You don't play games with the game's 19 year old phenom and what are the yanks thinking…trying to bring back Pettite.LOVE IT….I was wrong about throwin at the pitcher

133. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

…and there it is…

134. Steady Eddie - May 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Scott, that's what the Phils can do with their "bad form".And as the commentators said, now it's over.

135. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Dang. Imagine how much more entertaining this game would be if Joe West were behind the plate.

136. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Eddie..i liked it..a lot…cant wait to see Zimms at bat

137. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

is that really a smart move?

138. LoveDaNats - May 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Thanks, JZimm. I needed that.

139. sm13 - May 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I asked, because you hear all the time that the dh gives A.L. pitchers more freedom to plunk batters, but N.L pitchers have to worry about what happens when they come to bat. JZimm and Davey get it.

140. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Did JZim really ??? I mean, he usually has good control – is protecting the new guy?

141. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I agree with Kilgore that JZ's may not be intentional.otherwise he is too smart to setup Hamels to leave the game early by plunking another Nat.

142. TimDz - May 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

This team can be special …They punched us in the mouth and we punched back…

143. Steady Eddie - May 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

FS — smart is not the point, at the end of the day it's all about performance. Harper took his hit and sent the message right back at Hamels. JZimm said, "I'll take your message and raise you one by putting a runner in scoring position and only one out — and I'll shove your scoring position right back in your faces by my pitching."And he did. It ain't boasting if you can back it up.

144. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Faraz: Do anything to the phillies? he wears a ton of eye black..sprints out every ball hit to the infield, leading to the querstion for phillies Why don't you do that (making them look bad) and heis a cocky young kid playing for a team knocking off the old champs..what exactly do you want him to have done? did he give their manager the finger? no..but they dont like him..and if i was on another team i wouldnt like him either…thats part of what makes him so fun..he annoys the opposition because he plays 100 mph and hes 19..NINETEEN..cmon faraz…drop it

145. JaneB - May 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

He SHOULD be protecting the new guy. And now we can all go back to our corners and play an actual game of baseball. Albeit a game in which BRYCE STOLE HOME.GYFNG!

146. D'Gourds - May 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM

What I got from it was the amazing confidence Zimm showed putting runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Incredible! What a team. This is fun.

147. sm13 - May 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Bryce knows revenge

148. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

faraz: obviously not a smart move..the guy stole home..thats why we're all so happy..it woke werth up and harper raced around the bases..it wasa disastrous decision…thats the beauty of it

149. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Before the steal, Dave and Charlie said on the previous P/O attempt, that it looked like Bryce was measuring him, thinking about stealing…(hehe)

150. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I agree with Kilgore that JZ's may not be intentional.kilgore gets paid to write about baseball? ridiculous

151. Steady Eddie - May 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The point is that the Phillies have already shown Harper what they really think of him — which is respect — by pitching around him in the first two games of the series, walking him 4 times. So when the national spotlight is on the third game and the Phils are frustrated as anything by the first two losses, THEN they send their message. Says a lot more about them than about Harper.

152. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

unky: a straight steal of home would have been too much…TOO MUCH….hamels would have lost his mind

153. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I am kinda slow on these baseball conventions. I won't initiate something this stupid. I prefer my ballgames clean.

154. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

it says plenty about philly..they are angry and frustrated..also hamels is an elder statesman…hitting harper another hitter (presumably) gets hit…a pitcher has to deal with that…hamels can handle it..he's won a world series and has been a very good starter for years…then Zimm hits Hamels!! i bet all the position players for the phillies were thinking the same thing…better him than me

155. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Faraz…if the nationals are up by 12 runs in the 8th inning and they steal a base LOOK OUT! the next pitching is coming at the hitter…hitting a batter is part of the game..so are fights…helps clear the air

156. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Kind of worried about JZim's command tonight – a couple of 3 ball counts and now a walk. Along with the hbp, he usually has better command.

157. TimDz - May 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well crap…

158. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Not saying I saw that one coming, but JZim just doesn't seem in control after hitting Hamels. I don't really think it was intentional – hoping he doesn't meltdown on national tv. Pull it back together JZIM!!!!!

159. Cwj - May 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Scott- I agree completely. Both were intentional. Jordan was showing Harper that the Nats have his back.The Nats are indeed playing with a chip on their shoulder. A winning chip :-)

160. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

faraz the only sport that is 'clean' is golf..thats why i like it so much..but sometimes prose get very advantageous drops (ernie els at british open got a doozy the year he won)…sports are dirty..thats why they have umpires out there..to retain order

161. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Ramos and McCatty need to calm him down!!!!!

162. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

the hbp of hamels was clearly intentional…i dont understand how you could see it any other way…its like you started watching baseball 2 weeks ago

163. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

not fun being behind 3 to 1..lets see em come back and win…with an off day and zimm coming undone i see some bullpen coming into play

164. Drew - May 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

He's a wonderful pitcher, but in this depleted Phillies lineup you can't walk the guy hitting before Pence.Also, for all the talk on the national broadcast about the Phillies missing Utley and Howard, why no mention of the Nats playing without Morse's 31 home runs?C'mon Jordan, bear down.

165. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Scott who is allegedly from burke but originally from ny – don't start the insults, please.We have enough to deal with right now.JZim is in trouble – FOCUS!!!

166. TimDz - May 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM

ESPN crew FINALLY acknowledge the Nats injuries …Then go back to ramping up the Philthies …

167. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM

swami ..i am from new york but live in burke..should i change it to Scott in Burke?

168. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Scott temporarily residing in Burke? Sorry – distraught over Jordan getting shelled like that. Traumatized. Need offense really bad.

169. FS=Faraz Shaikh - May 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM

umpires are out there to give unbiased decisions, not to ask grown men to behave. whatever happened to sportsmanship! I don't want to argue about this further. we both clearly have different opinions on this.Should be interesting to see how we dig ourselves out of a tough spot against this particular lefthander. If I am not mistaken, Cole has usually given us lot of trouble in the past.

170. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

sportsmanship? a few more hits and runs can mean the difference in millions of dollars…sportsmanship? please

171. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM

umpires are out there to give unbiased decisions, not to ask grown men to behaveWatch a hockey game..without refs it would be a crime scene every night

172. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Apparently some of the northern fans are calling Jayson Werth a sell out again. Wait until they see the money Hamels and Victorino get to leave the City of Brotherly Love. The team has way too much money tied up in their old broken down guys to keep them. Don't you love how the espn guys were all about the nats until the third and now they are all kissy butt to the phills?

173. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Pence is terrific..what did they want from us for him last year?

174. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM

nice recovery!

175. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM

The only one who KNOWS is Zimm, but here's Zuckerman's take on the hbp:– There's your retaliation. Zimmermann plunks Hamels in the leg as the opposing pitcher squares to bunt. Plate umpire Andy Fletcher warned both dugouts. Tell you what, that was a gutsy move on Zimmermann's part, putting two on with one out in a 1-0 game

176. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Not use to seeing a sunday night game go this fast? of course, because youre always showing the yankees..AL games are slower

177. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Faraz: you are entitled to your opinions… Have as many as you want. But Scott is just telling you how the game is played. I get that you'd rather it weren't so, but not accepting what you see with your own eyes, is…. I don't know…. It's just how it is….

178. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

taking 3rd with two outs is usually not smart but pierre cannot throw

179. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Scott from Burke said…taking 3rd with two outs is usually not smart but pierre cannot throwAnd Desmond was probably thinking, "WWBD?" ("What Would Bryce Do?").

180. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Bryce would have scored

181. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM

:-)

182. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM

that looks like 6 to 8 weeks

183. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Oh jeeze…

184. hmm... - May 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM

dumb theory:zimm was pitching bad after the HBP to make it look like the HBP was a mistake. "but ump! can't you see i can't control nothing?" kind of how i used to cover lies as a kid

185. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I hope morse is feeling better..harper to right..ankiel stays barring trade

186. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Great… does this mean Nady is going to be hitting cleanup tonight? Harper won't see a pitch in the strike zone for the rest of the night.

187. TimDz - May 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Rally Call for Jayson!GYFNG!!!

188. Drew - May 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Oh poor Jayson. For God's sake, will the key injuries ever stop?

189. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM

there's gonna be some angst..he has been disappointing but a solid right fielder with occasional flashes of power…who can have 3 blistering weeks, which is fun to watch…now what? Nady is not the answer…does bernardina get a shot?

190. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - May 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Come back soon, Mickey Morse!

191. JaneB - May 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

My stomach hurts, but no where near as much as Jayson's wrist hurts. WTF?

192. Constant Reader - May 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Oh no. That looked so ugly for Werth.

193. Drew - May 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Free Tyler Moore.

194. Scott from Burke - May 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Lombardozzi in right? he's been hitting but does not have an outfied arm..has he played outfield?

195. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Okay, when Znn comes back, Espinosa to Syracuse to work out his hitting problems. Lombardozzi to second. We can't afford to have regulars under the Mendoza line.

196. sjm308 - May 7, 2012 at 1:44 AM

for those not watching tv – Buster Olney talked about this being the same wrist that caused him to miss an entire season – does not look good

197. Steady Eddie - May 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Scott — maybe the Shark gets a shot against RHPs but he's been so weak at the plate generally that it'll be Nady against southpaws…. and no one comes to mind as a plausible call-up either.Triple ugh. That one hurts in MANY different ways.

198. baseballswami - May 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I suppose someone will blame this injury on the nats training staff. I am just sick about all these injuries — and tired of hearing the phils complain about theirs. Seems like just one someone starts hitting, they get hurt. This just stinks. On twitter they are saying the Phans were cheering that he got hurt- stay classy Philadelphia.

199. UnkyD - May 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I knew it….. Werth had a finite number of those stupid slides! Paging Mr, Brown…. Corey Brown, please report tithe concierge…

200. Candide - May 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Wow… did I just hear Zimmermann scream the f-bomb…?