May 7, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Cole Hamels admitting he hit Bryce Harper on purpose in the first inning last night.
Major League Baseball announced it has suspended Cole Hamels for five games after the Phillies left-hander acknowledged he intentionally hit Nationals rookie Bryce Harper with a fastball during the first inning of last night's game.
The punishment, handed down by MLB senior vice president of standards and on-field operations Joe Garagiola Jr., also includes an undisclosed fine.
The five-game suspension, common for pitchers because it typically forces them to miss one start, could actually have no effect on Hamels' schedule. The Phillies have been planning to activate lefty Cliff Lee off the disabled list Wednesday, and with an off-day Thursday, they canRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter
- Zimmermann spoils McCatty's plan for Sunday (VIDEO)