May 7, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth injured himself trying to make a sliding catch in the sixth inning.
Jayson Werth was due to have surgery today on his broken left wrist, a procedure that is likely to keep him out for roughly 12 weeks, according to a source close to the Nationals right fielder.
The surgery was set to take place after Werth was examined by a specialist, who also consulted with Richard Berger of the Mayo Clinic, the doctor who six years ago repaired a ligament injury in Werth's same wrist that allowed him to resurrect his career.
It's not believed doctors found any ligament damage today, only a clean break of the radius bone on the opposite side of the wrist where Werth's previous injury was located.
Recovery time from such a procedure, which includes plates and screws being inserted in the wrist is typically about 12 weeks. That could haveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss