May 8, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Mike Gonzalez posted a 4.36 ERA last season with the Orioles and Rangers.
PITTSBURGH — Taking a flyer on a veteran reliever who could help them out down the road, the Nationals have signed left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league contract.
Gonzalez, 33, owns a 2.91 ERA in nine career seasons with the Pirates, Braves, Orioles and Rangers, though he's battled injuries and poor performances the last two seasons. He had knee surgery over the winter and remained unsigned when the season began.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said there had been some mild interest in Gonzalez that perked up after veteran right-hander Brad Lidge landed on the disabled list with a sports hernia.
"I scouted him for years with the Pirates and the Braves," Rizzo said. "I just liked the way he gets after it. He's got good clubhouse makeup,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond