May 8, 2012, 10:51 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Mike Gonzalez posted a 4.36 ERA last season with the Orioles and Rangers.
PITTSBURGH — Taking a flyer on a veteran reliever who could help them out down the road, the Nationals have signed left-hander Mike Gonzalez to a minor-league contract.
Gonzalez, 33, owns a 2.91 ERA in nine career seasons with the Pirates, Braves, Orioles and Rangers, though he's battled injuries and poor performances the last two seasons. He had knee surgery over the winter and remained unsigned when the season began.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said there had been some mild interest in Gonzalez that perked up after veteran right-hander Brad Lidge landed on the disabled list with a sports hernia.
"I scouted him for years with the Pirates and the Braves," Rizzo said. "I just liked the way he gets after it. He's got good clubhouse makeup,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal