Rizzo fined by MLB for comments

May 8, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo's comments about Cole Hamels got the Nats GM in trouble with MLB.

PITTSBURGH — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has been fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball for comments he made about Cole Hamels after the Phillies left-hander admitted he hit rookie Bryce Harper with a pitch on purpose.

Because no suspension was involved, MLB did not publicly announce Rizzo's fine, but a source close to the GM confirmed the punishment.

After plunking Harper with a first-pitch fastball Sunday night, Hamels told reporters: "I was trying to hit him, I'm not going to deny it," and referred to his actions as "old-school."

On Monday, Rizzo fired back at Hamels, telling the Washington Post that he'd "never seen a more classless, gutless chicken [bleep] act in my 30 years in baseball" and referring to the 28-year-old lefty as "fake tough."

MLB wound up suspended Hamels five games on Monday, and then today fined Rizzo for his words.

Asked today if he felt the Hamels punishment was sufficient, Rizzo replied: "I think I've said probably enough about Cole Hamels. I'mRead more ยป

1. mick - May 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I like Davey's closing comment, lol

2. mick - May 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I forgot about Rizzo's fine last year

3. SFNats - May 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Give 'em hell, Rizzo!

4. peric - May 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Rizzo is a fiery guy … years of the hapless Cubs probably in his blood. You can tell he isn't about to let that happen to the Nats. Not on his watch.I have always really liked Rizzo, his philosophy and approach. People like to say it was easy to pick Harper and Strasburg. What about Zimmermann? What about AJ Cole. He apparently had to accept Michael Burgess as a sandwich round pick in order to get Zimmermann in the house. Now, Rizzo has Roy Clark to help him pick all the hitters and pitchers. One example might just be Matt Skole with almost 40 RBI which currently leads the SALLY league. He is just discovering his power. There are others who will soon serve to give Rizzo and his outstanding assistants their due props.I can't wait.

5. sjm308 - May 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Peric: I love Skole's hitting but what are they going to do about all his errors? I also wonder where you see him playing. It certainly won't be at 3rd base. Will they try and move him to the outfield and when would they start?

6. sm13 - May 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Harper's comments are great. Has any player ever said something like that about a gm?

7. MicheleS - May 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

If the fine was for more than $2, bud needs to give Rizzo a refund

8. Soul Possession, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - May 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM

sm, the Caps probably feel similarly about George McFee. Now HE's old school.

9. David - May 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Bowden drafted ZImmermann. and Ryan Zimmerman too. Rizzo was on the staff for the Jordan Zimmermann pick, but he was under Bowden. Pretty sure about that.

10. JaneB - May 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Geezo o peezo. I have nothing good to say about MLB for this. Rizzo was right. Hamels was wrong. And his suspension should have had an actual impact on him and the team. And now I'm in the tank for Rizzo, too. Busy week.

11. NatsJack in Florida - May 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Bowden drafted Jordan but only because Rizzo threatened to quit if he didn't. Bowden credits Rizzo for that pick.

12. Uncle Atom - May 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Fining Rizzo is BS, and a five-day suspension for a pitcher is ridiculous. MLB is a joke

13. natsfan1a - May 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Go get 'em, Mikey! I agree with Michele re. the fine. Have also loved Harper's reactions and comments. He's been well-schooled by someone.