May 8, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo's comments about Cole Hamels got the Nats GM in trouble with MLB.
PITTSBURGH — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has been fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball for comments he made about Cole Hamels after the Phillies left-hander admitted he hit rookie Bryce Harper with a pitch on purpose.
Because no suspension was involved, MLB did not publicly announce Rizzo's fine, but a source close to the GM confirmed the punishment.
After plunking Harper with a first-pitch fastball Sunday night, Hamels told reporters: "I was trying to hit him, I'm not going to deny it," and referred to his actions as "old-school."
On Monday, Rizzo fired back at Hamels, telling the Washington Post that he'd "never seen a more classless, gutless chicken [bleep] act in my 30 years in baseball" and referring to the 28-year-old lefty as "fake tough."
MLB wound up suspended Hamels five games on Monday, and then today fined Rizzo for his words.
Asked today if he felt the Hamels punishment was sufficient, Rizzo replied: "I think I've said probably enough about Cole Hamels. I'mRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?