May 8, 2012, 5:48 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon and placed Jayson Werth on it, having their two highest-paid players swap roster spots entering tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Zimmerman will be in the lineup for tonight’s game at PNC Park, his first appearance since April 20 against the Marlins. Inflammation of his right shoulder had sidelined the veteran third baseman since then.
Werth, meanwhile, was placed on the DL with a broken left wrist, an injury sustained while trying to make a sliding catch of a sinking liner during the sixth inning of Sunday night’s game against the Phillies.
The veteran right fielder underwent surgery yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He’s expected to resume strengthening exercises in six weeks and could return to the Nationals’ lineup in roughly 12 weeks.
Though Werth will be out for an extended period of time, the Nationals chose to place him on the 15-day DL for now. They could transfer him to the 60-day DL at some point, a move that would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera