May 8, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon and placed Jayson Werth on it, having their two highest-paid players swap roster spots entering tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Zimmerman will be in the lineup for tonight’s game at PNC Park, his first appearance since April 20 against the Marlins. Inflammation of his right shoulder had sidelined the veteran third baseman since then.
Werth, meanwhile, was placed on the DL with a broken left wrist, an injury sustained while trying to make a sliding catch of a sinking liner during the sixth inning of Sunday night’s game against the Phillies.
The veteran right fielder underwent surgery yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He’s expected to resume strengthening exercises in six weeks and could return to the Nationals’ lineup in roughly 12 weeks.
Though Werth will be out for an extended period of time, the Nationals chose to place him on the 15-day DL for now. They could transfer him to the 60-day DL at some point, a move that would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami