May 8, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon and placed Jayson Werth on it, having their two highest-paid players swap roster spots entering tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Zimmerman will be in the lineup for tonight’s game at PNC Park, his first appearance since April 20 against the Marlins. Inflammation of his right shoulder had sidelined the veteran third baseman since then.
Werth, meanwhile, was placed on the DL with a broken left wrist, an injury sustained while trying to make a sliding catch of a sinking liner during the sixth inning of Sunday night’s game against the Phillies.
The veteran right fielder underwent surgery yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He’s expected to resume strengthening exercises in six weeks and could return to the Nationals’ lineup in roughly 12 weeks.
Though Werth will be out for an extended period of time, the Nationals chose to place him on the 15-day DL for now. They could transfer him to the 60-day DL at some point, a move that would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees