May 8, 2012, 5:48 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon and placed Jayson Werth on it, having their two highest-paid players swap roster spots entering tonight’s series opener against the Pirates.
Zimmerman will be in the lineup for tonight’s game at PNC Park, his first appearance since April 20 against the Marlins. Inflammation of his right shoulder had sidelined the veteran third baseman since then.
Werth, meanwhile, was placed on the DL with a broken left wrist, an injury sustained while trying to make a sliding catch of a sinking liner during the sixth inning of Sunday night’s game against the Phillies.
The veteran right fielder underwent surgery yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He’s expected to resume strengthening exercises in six weeks and could return to the Nationals’ lineup in roughly 12 weeks.
Though Werth will be out for an extended period of time, the Nationals chose to place him on the 15-day DL for now. They could transfer him to the 60-day DL at some point, a move that would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'