May 9, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson allowed two runs over seven strong innings.
Game in a nutshell: What was shaping up to be another low-scoring, nailbiter instead turned crazy in the ninth inning. Adam LaRoche put the Nationals up 4-3 with what looked like the game-winning, two-run homer off Joel Hanrahan. But Henry Rodriguez blew the save himself in the bottom of the ninth, uncorking two wild pitches and then serving up a two-run, walk-off homer to Rod Barajas on a first-pitch fastball at the letters. Just like that, the Nationals suffered a crushing defeat just when it appeared they would pull off a stunning, dramatic victory.
Hitting highlight: How important has LaRoche been to the Nationals this season? He's meant everything to them, and his return to the lineup tonight nearly produced a come-from-behind win. The veteran first baseman, who missed four games with a sore oblique muscle, singled in the fourth, drew a walk in the sixth and then provided theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season