May 9, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson allowed two runs over seven strong innings.
Game in a nutshell: What was shaping up to be another low-scoring, nailbiter instead turned crazy in the ninth inning. Adam LaRoche put the Nationals up 4-3 with what looked like the game-winning, two-run homer off Joel Hanrahan. But Henry Rodriguez blew the save himself in the bottom of the ninth, uncorking two wild pitches and then serving up a two-run, walk-off homer to Rod Barajas on a first-pitch fastball at the letters. Just like that, the Nationals suffered a crushing defeat just when it appeared they would pull off a stunning, dramatic victory.
Hitting highlight: How important has LaRoche been to the Nationals this season? He's meant everything to them, and his return to the lineup tonight nearly produced a come-from-behind win. The veteran first baseman, who missed four games with a sore oblique muscle, singled in the fourth, drew a walk in the sixth and then provided theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)