May 9, 2012, 1:46 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson allowed two runs over seven strong innings.
Game in a nutshell: What was shaping up to be another low-scoring, nailbiter instead turned crazy in the ninth inning. Adam LaRoche put the Nationals up 4-3 with what looked like the game-winning, two-run homer off Joel Hanrahan. But Henry Rodriguez blew the save himself in the bottom of the ninth, uncorking two wild pitches and then serving up a two-run, walk-off homer to Rod Barajas on a first-pitch fastball at the letters. Just like that, the Nationals suffered a crushing defeat just when it appeared they would pull off a stunning, dramatic victory.
Hitting highlight: How important has LaRoche been to the Nationals this season? He's meant everything to them, and his return to the lineup tonight nearly produced a come-from-behind win. The veteran first baseman, who missed four games with a sore oblique muscle, singled in the fourth, drew a walk in the sixth and then provided theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?