May 9, 2012, 1:46 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson allowed two runs over seven strong innings.
Game in a nutshell: What was shaping up to be another low-scoring, nailbiter instead turned crazy in the ninth inning. Adam LaRoche put the Nationals up 4-3 with what looked like the game-winning, two-run homer off Joel Hanrahan. But Henry Rodriguez blew the save himself in the bottom of the ninth, uncorking two wild pitches and then serving up a two-run, walk-off homer to Rod Barajas on a first-pitch fastball at the letters. Just like that, the Nationals suffered a crushing defeat just when it appeared they would pull off a stunning, dramatic victory.
Hitting highlight: How important has LaRoche been to the Nationals this season? He's meant everything to them, and his return to the lineup tonight nearly produced a come-from-behind win. The veteran first baseman, who missed four games with a sore oblique muscle, singled in the fourth, drew a walk in the sixth and then provided theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence