Johnson tries to boost spirits with meeting

May 10, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson gathered his players for a team meeting this afternoon.

PITTSBURGH — Sensing some of his players were starting to press in an attempt to snap out of their offensive funk, Nationals manager Davey Johnson closed the doors of the visiting clubhouse at PNC Park this afternoon and tried to boost spirits with something of a pep-talk.

The meeting lasted less than 10 minutes, but Johnson's message was clear.

"I wanted to let them know that I'm behind them 100 percent," he said. "I know we're going to get better as the season goes on. And I appreciate the effort they've given so far. … I wanted to put them at ease that I have confidence in everyone on this ballclub, or else they wouldn't be here. I expect us to get it right."

The Nationals enter tonight's game against the Pirates on a three-game losing streak, having struck out 23 times in the first two games of this series. Several players, Johnson believes, look like they're trying to do too much, perhaps overcompensating for the losses of Michael MorseRead more ยป

1. MicheleS - May 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Davey, if your are reading this (since you read the blogs/tweeter/internet)Here is my lineup suggestionsDesi SSLombo 2BRZ 3BALR 1BHarper RFAnkiel CFTracey/Nady/Bernadina LFRamos/Flores CPIf you want Espi In the lineup:Desi SSLombo LFRZ 3BALR 1BHarper RFAnkiel CFEspinosa 2b (I think he did well last year at the bottom of the order)Ramos/Flores CP(Oh and Stammen/Burnett can close as well, I am running out of Maalox)GYFNG!!PS.. we are still in first place…

2. SCNatsFan - May 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Yeah but o-fer a season like Espi has had since the break last year does mean a slump.I like Davey but there is no way he can be that blind. I'm sure some of it is just sticking up for your player but c'mon, this isn't a coule of o-fers. And votes of confidence haven't changed anyting yet.Prove me wrong Espi. Prove you belong on the big club. I'd love to be wrong.

3. sm13 - May 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Interesting contrast between Davey trying to calm the guys down and making sure they know he has their back and Charlie Manuel calling out his guys in public and chewing them out in the locker room. I know I prefer DJ's approach, but we'll see which one works.

4. JZimm's only fan... - May 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

"Hey Danny you're hitting .189" DJ"I know coach" ESPI"How about you take a night off not because your backup is a .300 hitter or anything.." DJ"Don't feel like it, im good" ESPI"Issue settled with me, go get 'em then" DJI imagine the conversation went exactly like this.

5. MicheleS - May 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

JZ Fan.. I am imagine it went like this.Son, your in the line up tonight. Get out there and play!

6. John - May 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Well said, SCNatsFan. I give credit to Johnson for finally addressing the issue with Espinosa, but I'm not sure about letting a sophomore dictates if he sits or play is necessarily the right move.

7. JZimm's only fan... - May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

MicheleSWhatever he said lets hope it works

8. jeffwx - May 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Resistance is futile, Espi plays, It's DJ's bullpen, yada, yada…Sorry Peric about the name that cannot be mentioned.Why do I get angry reading a blog…Need to up the meds or the maalox for sure.

9. jeffwx - May 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Well…i know nothing…Nice hit Danny…the team is a bit more patient.Davey, all we want is a winning team

10. peric - May 11, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson: STAY THE COURSE its all going in the right direction. If you change your approach I fear this team will end up with yet another in a long litany of frustrating seasons. Keep developing and using the prospects its the right way to go.

11. NatsNut - May 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Mark, you have to talk about how great our starting pitchers are hitting. We have to have some kind of record. Those guys are practically raking.

12. natsfan1a - May 11, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Davey said he read blogs, but he didn't say he read comments. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. :-)